• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Met Spring Banter Thread

HailMan06

It'd be nice if we saw the northern lights here, but I'm not holding my breath (or charging my camera), I always end up disappointed.

Had the CME passed just six hours later than it did, we'd be looking at a spectacular show right now. Geomagnetic storming persisted for hours during the day today, but the Bz component of the IMF flipped from far south to near-neutral right as eastern North America entered night. In essence, the link between the solar wind and earth's magnetosphere was mostly broken, so auroral activity isn't nearly as strong as it could have been.

Still, my camera has been picking up some diffuse greens and reds on the northern horizon, with some faint curtains and pillars showing up at times. A brief substorm would yield some spectacular photos at this point.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Pamela

What would people consider new England? And how about places like block island?

CT, RI, MASS, VT, NH, & ME.  And BI is part of RI. 

El Nino is definitely making its presence felt down here. Lots of rain south of us over Mexico via cutoff lows, and the next week looks to have rain event after rain event over Texas, starting with tonight's. Today felt like a soup outside, dewpoints hit 65. We need it too, but too bad it's not being shared over CA where it's desperately needed.

Archived