Newest Member
    joxey
3/1-3/2 Winter Storm OBS Thread

UnionWeatherWx

• Replies 818
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Pamela

I cannot.  I was thinking about the same thing yesterday and only 1967 came to mind, but I don't think they built up a persistent pack that year (repetitive heavy snow / cutter cycles).  There may have been some deeper snow depths in March 1967 because we had over 20" over a few days starting St Patrick's, but that really isn't the same thing.

It's not just the depth right now, there is a lot of dense snow on the ground.  My snow depth is from my front lawn.  I was in the woods this afternoon and a few time my ski poles punched through crust well over a foot.  It's variable based on sun exposure, but exclusive of todays snowfall, depths in the local woods are mostly ranging from around a foot to close to 18".

There was no March snow in the 70's...March 1981 & 1984 had some...1993 had about 10"....'94 & '96 had some...'99 had that good one (around 10")....'01 of course...but no one cracked 16"....'09 was about the same as '01...that's about it.  So I guess you need to go back to Babylon in '56. 

Snow has changed to white rain here btw...or so it appears.  Terrible snow growth at the moment. 

I've always said, "if you're too scared to drive get off the road!" I get so mad driving behind those people.

Maybe someone has a relative in a hospital who hasn't much time, and is forced to travel. Or has to get food to an invalid. Just sayin. I once saw a story on a guy who had to deliver a liver to Newark during PD 2. And his car got stuck. Ya never know.

Heavy snow finally here... 4.2" new snow

Must have been much better snow growth by you. Had mod to occasionally heavy snow most of the afternoon and it didn't really add up fast for the exception of the beginning of the event. Flake size was pretty small for half of the event.

Guest Pamela

Last I checked 16".  Probably about 17" now.

Very reminiscent of the typical pattern in central New England...achieving your greatest snow depth for the season in early or mid March.  (Throw out those couple days at the end of January). 

There was no March snow in the 70's...March 1981 & 1984 had some...1993 had about 10"....'94 & '96 had some...'99 had that good one (around 10")....'01 of course...but no one cracked 16"....'09 was about the same as '01...that's about it.  So I guess you need to go back to Babylon in '56. 

Snow has changed to white rain here btw...or so it appears.  Terrible snow growth at the moment. 

Some of these were localized. In Central NJ, there was no significant snow in 97, 98, or 99. Even 2000 was lame.

Guest Pamela

Some of these were localized. In Central NJ, there was no significant snow in 97, 98, or 99. Even 2000 was lame.

Definitely had a good one on the last day of March 1997 above 500 feet in Northern NJ!

Must have been much better snow growth by you. Had mod to occasionally heavy snow most of the afternoon and it didn't really add up fast for the exception of the beginning of the event. Flake size was pretty small for half of the event.

Flake size has been pretty average.. Nothing small, had a small dry slot, lasted about an hour earlier this afternoon but that's it... I'm at about 1000ft tho too so that help

Hopefully that band in PA stays together, coming right through my area if it does

Flake size has been pretty average.. Nothing small, had a small dry slot, lasted about an hour earlier this afternoon but that's it... I'm at about 1000ft tho too so that help

Hopefully that band in PA stays together, coming right through my area if it does

Mod-Hvy snow looks to continue up here through the evening.

post-460-0-69334200-1425253146_thumb.png

Very reminiscent of the typical pattern in central New England...achieving your greatest snow depth for the season in early or mid March.  (Throw out those couple days at the end of January). 

I didn't have as much OTG in late January as I am expecting to see in the morning, so we will probably have our greatest snow depth for the season.  Actually, the most I've recorded on the daily's was 16", so we are there already.

What is amazing is just about every flake of snow we've had this winter and every drop of rain since around 1/24 is in that pack.  That is usually reserved for the mountains,

Not white rain here (it is 26 degrees) but for the moment snow growth not what it was before.  I hope we can eek out a couple more inches.  I am only at about 48" right now.

Here is how it looked at the local state park earlier this afternoon.  Notice how deep the snow is on the bench:

post-290-0-18760900-1425253777_thumb.jpg

Guest Pamela

I didn't have as much OTG in late January as I am expecting to see in the morning, so we will probably have our greatest snow depth for the season.  Actually, the most I've recorded on the daily's was 16", so we are there already.

What is amazing is just about every flake of snow we've had this winter and every drop of rain since around 1/24 is in that pack.  That is usually reserved for the mountains,

Not white rain here (it is 26 degrees) but for the moment snow growth not what it was before.  I hope we can eek out a couple more inches.  I am only at about 48" right now.

Here is how it looked at the local state park earlier this afternoon.  Notice how deep the snow is on the bench:

attachicon.gif20150301_144628c1e1s1200.jpg

Snow growth a little better now; nothing great...but whatever happens from here on out...it was a winter to remember...the coldest month ever out at BNL...that, to me, is amazing...considering how much more built up the Suffolk County is nowadays.

Just saw you added the photograph...what a beautiful picture.  Nature is fantastic. 

Archived