• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
3/1-3/2 Winter Storm

Zelocita Weather

Hey, did you see the Upton discussion this morning? They are calling for a crazy fast, short duration event, starting like 3-4pm tomorrow and ending late tomorrow night before midnight or very early morning morning for eastern areas

We will see what the afternoon update looks like . I think they will go 2 to 4 from the city onto Long Island .

• Replies 637
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Upton and Taunton seem to be in two different worlds with this one. OKX AFD is saying 2-5 for CT and Taunton 4-8 for their CT zones. The way this is heading its probably safer to be in southern CT for the heaviest axis of qpf, depends on which model you believe of course. But still 1-3 NYC/LI 2-5 LHV CT is too low imo.

Ever since the blizzard it seems uptons been way more conservative than box, I have plenty of maps saved that show the discontinuity between CWAs as you jump over from BOX zones to OKX.

Upton and Taunton seem to be in two different worlds with this one. OKX AFD is saying 2-5 for CT and Taunton 4-8 for their CT zones. The way this is heading its probably safer to be in southern CT for the heaviest axis of qpf, depends on which model you believe of course. But still 1-3 NYC/LI 2-5 LHV CT is too low imo.

Ever since the blizzard it seems uptons been way more conservative than box, I have plenty of maps saved that show the discontinuity between CWAs as you jump over from BOX zones to OKX.

You blame them? Look at the ramifications of their bust. Plus, they haven't always been conservative the last month. They went with a Blizzard Warning for Suffolk on Valentine's Day; we know how that turned out.

I think in general it'll be the same as the storm a week ago-trace to 2" south of I-195, 2" on the southern beaches and along I-78, 4" on the north shore and northern NYC and along I-80, 6" for CT, most of Westchester, Rockland and N NJ. It seems like models are coming to a middle ground between the Euro and the colder models which have a thump everywhere to start and then sleet/rain from south to north. It seems like that might come as the precip is ending for many, so it'll be about how strong the WAA is aloft. Tricky call. 

You blame them? Look at the ramifications of their bust. Plus, they haven't always been conservative the last month. They went with a Blizzard Warning for Suffolk on Valentine's Day; we know how that turned out.

True, that was one instance they went pretty bullish with those blizzard warnings for CT coast the busted horribly.

It's good to see Southern CT posters  in our forum since its in the OKX forecast zones. I love visiting the New Haven

County area so it's great to get feedback on what's happening there in real time.

I think in general it'll be the same as the storm a week ago-trace to 2" south of I-195, 2" on the southern beaches and along I-78, 4" on the north shore and northern NYC and along I-80, 6" for CT, most of Westchester, Rockland and N NJ. It seems like models are coming to a middle ground between the Euro and the colder models which have a thump everywhere to start and then sleet/rain from south to north. It seems like that might come as the precip is ending for many, so it'll be about how strong the WAA is aloft. Tricky call. 

Welcome back :)

I think overall this a colder storm, but doesn't seem as beefy with qpf and overall length of the storm. Should be somewhat similar, although im not expecting any mixing to make it up into CT. As of the 12Z suite almost all models are mostly snow for all of CT. NYC and LI got exceptionally colder as well with some mixing issues but not much especially for NYC.

Glad to have you back brother.

If you mean Saturday of last weekend, Monmouth and Ocean Counties had 3"-5" and Burlington County had upwards of 6"...

I should've clarified that I meant closer to the coast and around this forum area but yeah, that one was more impressive SW of NYC and especially toward BWI. 

It depends on how the snow comes in-if it comes in like a wall and the SE winds don't do much damage I might be too conservative for southern areas. We'll have to see what happens. 

It's good to see Southern CT posters  in our forum since its in the OKX forecast zones. I love visiting the New Haven

County area so it's great to get feedback on what's happening there in real time.

Nice! New Haven is a great area contrary to what many people might say who live around here. As long as people don't mind someone from CT posting in a NYC forum, I'd be happy to post some insight into what's happening with models and obs and such. I'll have my B.S. in meteorology in a few months so hopefully I can be of some use. This is a great board, I just joined in the summer of 14.

Anyways, back to the topic, ECMWF is currently processing hour 12 from 12Z run.

Nice! New Haven is a great area contrary to what many people might say who live around here. As long as people don't mind someone from CT posting in a NYC forum, I'd be happy to post some insight into what's happening with models and obs and such. I'll have my B.S. in meteorology in a few months so hopefully I can be of some use. This is a great board, I just joined in the summer of 14.

Anyways, back to the topic, ECMWF is currently processing hour 12 from 12Z run.

It's great to have your local input since that is an important part of our region that sometimes gets lost between

this and the NE forum. If you have long term New Haven weather records, feel free to post them in any of

our threads here. I often call friends in NH County to get updates on R/S line ground truth and summer

thunderstorm events.

Has anyone seen the 12z NAVGEM.... idkk if its a WXbell error or not but hr 18-54 are completely identical... Shows no storm for sunday lol.... Talk about glitch

WXBell is not showing the 12Z NAVGEM very well, a lot of frames are missing and total QPF for Monday shows almost nothing for the NE.

Also "Saturday, NCEP continues to suffer from major server issues affecting all models and data. " -WXBell

Archived