joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
3/1-3/2 Winter Storm

Zelocita Weather

• Replies 637
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks like a little stripe of 6+" near the CT coast on both eurowx and wxbell maps. Mostly 4-6 for the state.

I think 4-7 is a good call right now for the state maybe some localized 8 or 9" amounts. BUFKIT indicates 10:1 close to the shore with closer to 12:1 farther inland.

I'd probably go with 3-6 for the city. Upton may want to consider watches this afternoon at least for the CT zones but I doubt they will, we'll see. I have a feeling those watches box issued will go over to advisories.

When we really look at it, is it much of a "model battle"? NAM/RGEM are 3-4" trended a bit lower, GFS 2-3" trended a bit lower, euro 2" trended a bit higher. Altogether, they're all pretty close and seem to be a converging on a 2-3" solution for the most part with some 4" amounts possible, with 4-8" north of the area and into CT. Sure anything could happen, but general there doesn't seem to be any wild swings on the models, and the run to run changes are more subtle than people are making them seem

Looks like a little stripe of 6+" near the CT coast on both eurowx and wxbell maps. Mostly 4-6 for the state.

I think 4-7 is a good call right now for the state maybe some localized 8 or 9" amounts. BUFKIT indicates 10:1 close to the shore with closer to 12:1 farther inland.

Except there is no CT shore with the Sound iced over.

Except there is no CT shore with the Sound iced over.

:lol: touché

Good news for people living on the "shore" now they are technically in a location similar to Hartford in any other given winter. The shore has moved to the south of LI. Hey maybe ill walk over the sound and come visit.

This is OT but did you hear about a group of people debating to walk from LI to CT over the sound? There is a forum thread dedicated to this on some website I was reading. Not sure if it has ever been done before?

When we really look at it, is it much of a "model battle"? NAM/RGEM are 3-4" trended a bit lower, GFS 2-3" trended a bit lower, euro 2" trended a bit higher. Altogether, they're all pretty close and seem to be a converging on a 2-3" solution for the most part with some 4" amounts possible, with 4-8" north of the area and into CT. Sure anything could happen, but general there doesn't seem to be any wild swings on the models, and the run to run changes are more subtle than people are making them seem

One thing is certain, this storm is an extremely fast mover and really has the jets on, it's in and out very quickly

:lol: touché

Good news for people living on the "shore" now they are technically in a location similar to Hartford in any other given winter. The shore has moved to the south of LI. Hey maybe ill walk over the sound and come visit.

This is OT but did you hear about a group of people debating to walk from LI to CT over the sound? There is a forum thread dedicated to this on some website I was reading. Not sure if it has ever been done before?

Walking across the sound without skills on loan from Jesus would be an extension of natural selection. If it was safe, it would be an interesting idea though.

I think in general it'll be the same as the storm a week ago-trace to 2" south of I-195, 2" on the southern beaches and along I-78, 4" on the north shore and northern NYC and along I-80, 6" for CT, most of Westchester, Rockland and N NJ. It seems like models are coming to a middle ground between the Euro and the colder models which have a thump everywhere to start and then sleet/rain from south to north. It seems like that might come as the precip is ending for many, so it'll be about how strong the WAA is aloft. Tricky call. 

If you mean Saturday of last weekend, Monmouth and Ocean Counties had 3"-5" and Burlington County had upwards of 6"...

jm - perhaps you have your storms confused (I know I have a hard time keeping track of them, since there have been so many and so many similar ones this winter), as the 2/21 storm delivered a solid 4-8" for just about all of SE PA/South Jersey (except Cape May/Atlantic Counties) and a solid 3-6" for the rest of NJ north of 195.  In the New Brunswick-Edison area, we got about 4" of snow and then about 0.2" of ZR on top of that with temps only getting to 33F after about 1 am, much later than expected.  Would love to get a repeat of that much frozen precip.  

http://climate.rutgers.edu/stateclim/?section=menu&target=wint1415snowtotals#2/21-2/22/15

Archived