joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
3/1-3/2 Winter Storm

Zelocita Weather

• Replies 637
  • Created
  • Last Reply

jm - perhaps you have your storms confused (I know I have a hard time keeping track of them, since there have been so many and so many similar ones this winter), as the 2/21 storm delivered a solid 4-8" for just about all of SE PA/South Jersey (except Cape May/Atlantic Counties) and a solid 3-6" for the rest of NJ north of 195.  In the New Brunswick-Edison area, we got about 4" of snow and then about 0.2" of ZR on top of that with temps only getting to 33F after about 1 am, much later than expected.  Would love to get a repeat of that much frozen precip.  

http://climate.rutgers.edu/stateclim/?section=menu&target=wint1415snowtotals#2/21-2/22/15

How many inches you sitting on for this year, and what are your thoughts for this storm?

:lol: touché

This is OT but did you hear about a group of people debating to walk from LI to CT over the sound? There is a forum thread dedicated to this on some website I was reading. Not sure if it has ever been done before?

No...but I *did* stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night!....

Here's a good article on the state of affairs between our states:

http://suffolktimes.timesreview.com/2015/02/56449/with-icy-air-comes-a-frozen-long-island-sound/

So, if 925's are above freazing and the entire column below is freazing or colder, you get sleet? I'm used to paying attention to 850's and below. Thanks for the schooling.

There's no absolute rule on freezing rain vs. sleet, which is why both are so hard to predict.  That's because the phase transitions from snow to rain and then from rain back to either sleet or freezing rain are far more complex that just knowing the temperatures at two different pressures (heights above ground, really) in the column.  For example, the phase change for a given snowflake of a given mass to melt to become a raindrop of presumably the same mass requires a sum total of heat imparted from the atmosphere, so in order to truly do the calculation, one would need to know the actual continuous temperature profile of the entire column (for the above freezing part where melting is occurring), as well as how long that snowflake resided in each section of the column.  Same thing for the raindrop, which maybe melts at the ~850 mb level, i.e., one would need to know the continuous temperature profile below that (for the below freezing part) and the time spent in each section of the column at each temp in order to calculate whether the raindrop would refreeze into a sleetdrop before reaching the surface.  

I assume the models are actually calculating those things on some at least approximate basis (probably taking "slices" of the column every X feet and doing the heat balance over time calcs for each column slice, e.g., the "soundings" of conditions at each slice), and not just assuming one temp at 850 and another at 925 and a third at the surface and doing the heat balance just for those fairly deep slices in the column.  Sure, there are rules of thumb, such as if the temp is above freezing for a few thousand feet in the vicinity of 850 mb, the snow will melt and if the column goes back below freezing for several thousand feet below that (i.e., goes below freezing well above the 925 mb elevation), then, yes, the melted snowflakes will refreeze into sleet...or if the column doesn't go back below freezing until 925 mb or even lower, i.e., if only the last few hundred feet of the column down to the surface are below 32F, then the melted snowflake will not freeze into sleet while falling, but the water droplet will likely cool to 32F or below (supercooling is possible) and will then freeze on contact with the below 32F surface it strikes.  

All of the above is just a really long way of saying that there will be times when 850 mb is above freezing and 925 mb and below is below freezing and the result is sleet and there will be times when the result is freezing rain.  Depends on the actual continuous temperature profile of the entire column below where the snowflake melts.  

How many inches you sitting on for this year, and what are your thoughts for this storm?

34" in Metuchen this winter, which is likely about 4-5" more than most others would have measured, since I'm a nut about measuring at the exact end of the snowfall, regardless of whether it's 7 pm or 4 am, which will result in 1/2" to 1" greater snowfall in a snow to sleet/ZR/rain scenario vs. measuring 1-2 hours after the changeover (after compaction occurs) and that's happened at least 3-4 times this winter.  In addition, the two very high snow/liquid ratio storms compacted quite quickly after sunrise, so getting those measurements at the end of the snowfall made a difference. 

Anyway, I'm not a forecaster, so I don't make predictions, per se.  Like any other non-pro, I have a gut instinct and I can read the model output, so I'd say 2-4" for NYC and close by suburbs in NE NJ, LI seems like a good bet right now.  I'm hoping I'm far enough north (25 miles SW of Central Park) to be part of that 2-4" swath (on the low side, of course) in Central Jersey, but I can see that dwindling down to an inch or less by the time one reaches 195; alternatively areas north of I-80 in NJ (west of 287) and north of 287 in the Hudson Valley may see 4-7" of snow.  Some sleet and freezing rain are a definite concern, too, especially south of the 80/287 region, where it's more likely to stay all snow.  Anyone who reads my post from a few minutes ago on sleet vs. freezing rain would know I would never presume to try to predict either of those, given the complexity.  

There's no absolute rule on freezing rain vs. sleet, which is why both are so hard to predict. That's because the phase transitions from snow to rain and then from rain back to either sleet or freezing rain are far more complex that just knowing the temperatures at two different pressures (heights above ground, really) in the column. For example, the phase change for a given snowflake of a given mass to melt to become a raindrop of presumably the same mass requires a sum total of heat imparted from the atmosphere, so in order to truly do the calculation, one would need to know the actual continuous temperature profile of the entire column (for the above freezing part where melting is occurring), as well as how long that snowflake resided in each section of the column. Same thing for the raindrop, which maybe melts at the ~850 mb level, i.e., one would need to know the continuous temperature profile below that (for the below freezing part) and the time spent in each section of the column at each temp in order to calculate whether the raindrop would refreeze into a sleetdrop before reaching the surface.

I assume the models are actually calculating those things on some at least approximate basis (probably taking "slices" of the column every X feet and doing the heat balance over time calcs for each column slice, e.g., the "soundings" of conditions at each slice), and not just assuming one temp at 850 and another at 925 and a third at the surface and doing the heat balance just for those fairly deep slices in the column. Sure, there are rules of thumb, such as if the temp is above freezing for a few thousand feet in the vicinity of 850 mb, the snow will melt and if the column goes back below freezing for several thousand feet below that (i.e., goes below freezing well above the 925 mb elevation), then, yes, the melted snowflakes will refreeze into sleet...or if the column doesn't go back below freezing until 925 mb or even lower, i.e., if only the last few hundred feet of the column down to the surface are below 32F, then the melted snowflake will not freeze into sleet while falling, but the water droplet will likely cool to 32F or below (supercooling is possible) and will then freeze on contact with the below 32F surface it strikes.

All of the above is just a really long way of saying that there will be times when 850 mb is above freezing and 925 mb and below is below freezing and the result is sleet and there will be times when the result is freezing rain. Depends on the actual continuous temperature profile of the entire column below where the snowflake melts.

Very thorough and complex. Thanks. I'll just let the professionals figure out p-type.

North shore of Long Island is its own micro climate. The bluffs really insulate it, and the sound, especially this time of year, does nothing to warm it up. I've seen many times where the LIE is the dividing line between sn+ and rn/ip. I remember in the February 2013 blizzard driving down William Floyd and it was horrific from 25a to 495. Once I hit 495, it switched to heavy sleet and rain. The difference over approximately a mile was about twelve inches.

Most years that's true.  This year it gets a prize for understatement.  Taken today from Short Beach in Smithtown:

post-290-0-20855000-1425154257_thumb.jpg

Alas, We aren't going to get much sound enhancement with all that ice ;)

Winter Storm Watches up for CT zones.

...WINTER STORM TO IMPACT THE TRI-STATE SUNDAY AND SUNDAY
NIGHT...

CTZ006>008-010>012-010415-
/O.NEW.KOKX.WS.A.0008.150301T1500Z-150302T1200Z/
NORTHERN NEW HAVEN-NORTHERN MIDDLESEX-NORTHERN NEW LONDON-
SOUTHERN NEW HAVEN-SOUTHERN MIDDLESEX-SOUTHERN NEW LONDON-
313 PM EST SAT FEB 28 2015

...WINTER STORM WATCH IN EFFECT FROM SUNDAY MORNING THROUGH
MONDAY MORNING...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN NEW YORK HAS ISSUED A WINTER
STORM WATCH...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM SUNDAY MORNING THROUGH
MONDAY MORNING.

* LOCATIONS...SOUTH CENTRAL AND SOUTHEASTERN CONNECTICUT.

* HAZARD TYPES...SNOW.

* ACCUMULATIONS...4 TO 8 INCHES OF SNOW.

* VISIBILITIES...1/4 TO 1/2 MILE OR LESS AT TIMES.

Winter Weather Advisories up for NYC and LI zones

NIGHT...

CTZ005-009-NJZ002-004-006-103>108-NYZ067>075-078>081-176>179-
010415-
/O.NEW.KOKX.WW.Y.0011.150301T1500Z-150302T1200Z/
NORTHERN FAIRFIELD-SOUTHERN FAIRFIELD-WESTERN PASSAIC-
EASTERN PASSAIC-HUDSON-WESTERN BERGEN-EASTERN BERGEN-
WESTERN ESSEX-EASTERN ESSEX-WESTERN UNION-EASTERN UNION-ORANGE-
PUTNAM-ROCKLAND-NORTHERN WESTCHESTER-SOUTHERN WESTCHESTER-
NEW YORK (MANHATTAN)-BRONX-RICHMOND (STATEN ISLAND)-
KINGS (BROOKLYN)-NORTHWESTERN SUFFOLK-NORTHEASTERN SUFFOLK-
SOUTHWESTERN SUFFOLK-SOUTHEASTERN SUFFOLK-NORTHERN QUEENS-
NORTHERN NASSAU-SOUTHERN QUEENS-SOUTHERN NASSAU-

...WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY IN EFFECT FROM 10 AM SUNDAY TO 7 AM
EST MONDAY...

WEATHER ADVISORY FOR SNOW AND FREEZING RAIN...WHICH IS IN EFFECT
FROM 10 AM SUNDAY TO 7 AM EST MONDAY.

* LOCATIONS...NEW YORK CITY...LONG ISLAND...NORTHEAST NEW
  JERSEY...THE LOWER HUDSON VALLEY AND FAIRFIELD COUNTY.

* HAZARD TYPES...SNOW...WITH FREEZING RAIN ACROSS NEW YORK
  CITY...LONG ISLAND...MOST OF NORTHEAST NEW JERSEY...AND COASTAL
  PORTIONS OF THE LOWER HUDSON VALLEY AND FAIRFIELD COUNTY.

* ACCUMULATIONS...SNOW ACCUMULATION OF 2 TO 6 INCHES...ALONG WITH
  UP TO AROUND A TENTH OF AN INCH OF ICE.

* VISIBILITIES...1/4 TO 1/2 MILES AT TIMES.

Winter Storm Watches up for CT zones.

NIGHT...

CTZ006>008-010>012-010415-

/O.NEW.KOKX.WS.A.0008.150301T1500Z-150302T1200Z/

NORTHERN NEW HAVEN-NORTHERN MIDDLESEX-NORTHERN NEW LONDON-

SOUTHERN NEW HAVEN-SOUTHERN MIDDLESEX-SOUTHERN NEW LONDON-

...WINTER STORM WATCH IN EFFECT FROM SUNDAY MORNING THROUGH

MONDAY MORNING...

STORM WATCH...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM SUNDAY MORNING THROUGH

MONDAY MORNING.

* LOCATIONS...SOUTH CENTRAL AND SOUTHEASTERN CONNECTICUT.

* HAZARD TYPES...SNOW.

* ACCUMULATIONS...4 TO 8 INCHES OF SNOW.

* VISIBILITIES...1/4 TO 1/2 MILE OR LESS AT TIMES.

Winter Weather Advisories up for NYC and LI zones

NIGHT...

CTZ005-009-NJZ002-004-006-103>108-NYZ067>075-078>081-176>179-

010415-

/O.NEW.KOKX.WW.Y.0011.150301T1500Z-150302T1200Z/

NORTHERN FAIRFIELD-SOUTHERN FAIRFIELD-WESTERN PASSAIC-

EASTERN PASSAIC-HUDSON-WESTERN BERGEN-EASTERN BERGEN-

WESTERN ESSEX-EASTERN ESSEX-WESTERN UNION-EASTERN UNION-ORANGE-

PUTNAM-ROCKLAND-NORTHERN WESTCHESTER-SOUTHERN WESTCHESTER-

NEW YORK (MANHATTAN)-BRONX-RICHMOND (STATEN ISLAND)-

KINGS (BROOKLYN)-NORTHWESTERN SUFFOLK-NORTHEASTERN SUFFOLK-

SOUTHWESTERN SUFFOLK-SOUTHEASTERN SUFFOLK-NORTHERN QUEENS-

NORTHERN NASSAU-SOUTHERN QUEENS-SOUTHERN NASSAU-

...WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY IN EFFECT FROM 10 AM SUNDAY TO 7 AM

EST MONDAY...

WEATHER ADVISORY FOR SNOW AND FREEZING RAIN...WHICH IS IN EFFECT

FROM 10 AM SUNDAY TO 7 AM EST MONDAY.

* LOCATIONS...NEW YORK CITY...LONG ISLAND...NORTHEAST NEW

JERSEY...THE LOWER HUDSON VALLEY AND FAIRFIELD COUNTY.

* HAZARD TYPES...SNOW...WITH FREEZING RAIN ACROSS NEW YORK

CITY...LONG ISLAND...MOST OF NORTHEAST NEW JERSEY...AND COASTAL

PORTIONS OF THE LOWER HUDSON VALLEY AND FAIRFIELD COUNTY.

* ACCUMULATIONS...SNOW ACCUMULATION OF 2 TO 6 INCHES...ALONG WITH

UP TO AROUND A TENTH OF AN INCH OF ICE.

* VISIBILITIES...1/4 TO 1/2 MILES AT TIMES.

2 to 6 not bad. Much better than 1 to 2.

Should end up 4 to 6 but that's a big jump since this AM

2 to 6 not bad. Much better than 1 to 2.

Should end up 4 to 6 but that's a big jump since this AM

I guess since 2-6 is such a range, they are thinking a couple inches for most of NYC, LI, and NENJ with the higher amounts N since this covers CT.....seems like a good call.....2-3" with some 4s for most, and 4-7" with some 8s north

I guess since 2-6 is such a range, they are thinking a couple inches for most of NYC, LI, and NENJ with the higher amounts N since this covers CT.....seems like a good call.....2-3" with some 4s for most, and 4-7" with some 8s north

It's 4 to 6. Slowly stepping there. 18z NAM is out.

Looks very good.

I think there is 3 to 4 in Monmouth. 4 to 5 KNYC . 6 to 7 N shore of a LI and NNJ 7 to 8 CT

The 12z ARW & 12z GEM LAM were actually pretty dry over North Jersey & NYC...like a 2 to 3 inch event...the ARW was spot on the day before the January blizzard (little snow west of the Hudson) and we all know the LAM has done very nicely.

I suppose as the air downslopes down the Kittatinies; significant drying is anticipated...QPF for CT & LI remain about the same as the other models though.

The 12z ARW & 12z GEM LAM were actually pretty dry over North Jersey & NYC...like a 2 to 3 inch event...the ARW was spot on the day before the January blizzard (little snow west of the Hudson) and we all know the LAM has done very nicely.

I suppose as the air downslopes down the Kittatinies; significant drying is anticipated...QPF for CT & LI remain about the same as the other models though.

2-3 wouldn't be bad

Are you ever conservative? Lol ;)

lol I'm always optimistic when the trend goes our way. You can't deny the colder trend. Btw off topic but the wave after tomorrow looks like an incoming snow to an ice (nam) storm for our area. I am really excited because 2-3 days ago that was depicted as mostly rain! And of course I'm also excited about the third wave that looks like a good period of snow for us! Especially the coastal sections! February 3rd 2014 comes into mind

Sent from my iPhone

Archived