joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA & The Fringes - Early March 2015

MAG5035

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Father/grandmother wanted to come up this weekend, I told them it might be snowy...and my grandmother immediately talked about a time in the 70's when they slid into a snowbank on their way to PSU. Safe to say the trip was nixed, lol

But it looks like a solid advisory event is in store for the 99 corridor northwest. WPC probs show us right on the line for a decent event.

Models today keep trending colder for Sunday. I think the LSV has

a good chance for 2- 4 inches, with possibly a little more if mixing is minimized. Perhaps this storm will jackpot us this time instead of DC and MD. Remember this time last week York and Lancaster were under advisories due to less snow anticipated & more ice and counties to the North were WSW for 4-7 inches. It turned out York and points south ended up with more snow than points to the north. It will be interesting to track this weekend, plus more challenges next week with other events on the horizon!

Models today keep trending colder for Sunday. I think the LSV has

a good chance for 2- 4 inches, with possibly a little more if mixing is minimized. Perhaps this storm will jackpot us this time instead of DC and MD. Remember this time last week York and Lancaster were under advisories due to less snow anticipated & more ice and counties to the North were WSW for 4-7 inches. It turned out York and points south ended up with more snow than points to the north. It will be interesting to track this weekend, plus more challenges next week with other events on the horizon!

Agreed keep hearing precip holes lol looks good for a good end thump.

It's time for short range models like the RGEM and the NAM.

Even with the Precip hole issues for awhile last week, MDT still

pulled out 4.8 for the event. The trend now is colder, which hopefully

Will minimize mixing.

Here's my take on some potential issues if we do have a weakness in precip off the mountains again. Timing and temps are what concerns me about this outside of the west central and northern parts of the region. In terms of the column, it certainly looks like this will be cold enough to be a mainly snow event for pretty much everyone..however surface temps concern me. Temps will likely end up in the upper 20s to low 30s on Sunday with the bulk of the precip seeming to be timed in the later afternoon to mid evening timeframe. So we certainly won't have the cold advantage we had with the DC storm where we had temps near 10ºF for the whole event.

Sun angle becomes much more of a factor this time of the year when we have more normal temps with a precip event during the day. That won't matter if it snows hard, but if we have a weakness in the precip in the south central and parts of the Sus valley I could certainly see a scenario where you have light to at times moderate snow all day that just doesn't seem to accumulate. The 0z RGEM had a much more pronounced precip minimum than the 0z NAM did so we will see how later runs evolve on Saturday. Regarding the 0z Euro and GFS.. the Euro looks like the NAM with it's maintained precip coverage across the state, while the GFS looks like a more extreme version of the RGEM and goes off a cliff in the Sus Valley showing a really pronounced QPF hole (and also a bit warmer with some p-type issues in the far south central). GEFS mean smooths the hole out a good bit, but I can still see subtle hints of it. 

The good thing about this event being a warmer, further north version of the DC one a couple weeks ago is that our region should be much better positioned to see the best 700mb lift. In fact this illustrates why the RGEM seems more pronounced with the precip hole than the NAM, as RGEM has a small area of subsidence in the central counties (as does GFS) while the NAM has a pretty solid region of lift over most of the state. My guess is that this sucker hole will most likely show up in some fashion, with the far south central counties west of the Susquehanna being the most vulnerable. Further east should see a new max of precip as the system hits the coast. Speaking of which, this system barely has a surface reflection to it on the models, much less any kind of reflection at the 850 or 700 levels, so lack of any kind of easterly fetch you would get with a more established deepening low hitting the coast is going to make this a boundary precip event driven by a W/SW flow that could easily be vulnerable to subsidence off the Alleghenies in the absence of good lift (like the GFS/RGEM).

0z RGEM @45hours

post-1507-0-90250200-1425107149_thumb.gi

0z NAM @ 45 hours

post-1507-0-79998500-1425107133_thumb.gi

Have been crazy busy with work and so haven't gotten the chance to get around to putting together a video on the Valentine's Day snow squall until today.

Glad I caught it on video.

That's a really cool video and soundtrack. I'm also glad I caught it on video... just was waiting for the bright flash and crack of thunder. Coulda did a Jim Cantore impression haha. Here was mine in case you or anyone else missed it. 

This is interesting haha.

.CLIMATE...

THE COLDEST FEBRUARY ON RECORD IS STILL LOOKING LIKELY. MONTHLY
MEAN TEMPERATURES THROUGH THE 26TH...IPT 18.2...MDT 20.7.

THE CURRENT RECORD COLDEST FEBRUARY..IPT 19.3...MDT 21.4 BOTH SET
IN 1934.

SO FAR...THIS MONTH IS THE THIRD COLDEST EVER AT IPT...AND FOURTH
COLDEST EVER AT MDT.

&&

.EQUIPMENT...
KMDT AND KIPT TEMPERATURES READING FAR TOO WARM. OBSERVER AT KMDT
REPORTED 27F AS THE MAX BASED ON BACKUP OBSERVATION AND NEAREST
NEIGHBOR. PARTS ON ORDER FOR KMDT BUT KIPT TEMP SPIKE/TROUBLE IS
NEW TODAY AND WILL BE INVESTIGATED. USING 28F FOR MAX IN KIPT
FOR TODAY 2/27 BASED ON NEAREST NEIGHBOR OBSERVATIONS.

That's a really cool video and soundtrack. I'm also glad I caught it on video... just was waiting for the bright flash and crack of thunder. Coulda did a Jim Cantore impression haha. Here was mine in case you or anyone else missed it. 

I had to settle for still photos as the timing put the squall in Tamaqua well after dark, and the camera on my phone couldn't capture it properly in video mode.

As for the cold, so far sitting at 19.2 for the month here in Tamaqua, which does not include yesterday, or obviously, today. Still, and what's more impressive to me is that so far this winter, we've had 7 (possibly 8 if this morning can drop more yet) lows below zero, and 28 mornings below +10 (again, so far) this meteorlogial winter season.

Hey MAG - think it may have snowed harder at your place—lots more wind, for sure! Great video.

Yours is bigger than mine. Am puzzled why mine is so small. Hahaha! No seriously, my embed settings on Vimeo are set for 640x360 and there's usually no problem on other forums I post to. The video is actually 1080 when viewed on Vimeo. Not sure why the embed settings aren't working here regarding size. Any ideas? Thanks.

I had to settle for still photos as the timing put the squall in Tamaqua well after dark, and the camera on my phone couldn't capture it properly in video mode.

That's a bummer. Was just starting to get dark here and, of course, the squall line made it even darker. Had to keep bumping up the gain on my camera to be able to see anything.

Archived