joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA & The Fringes - Early March 2015

MAG5035

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow. Woke up and looked outside expecting to see maybe a dusting to an inch. It wasn't doing anything when I went to bed. Just measured 3.5"of new fluff.

Looks like an isolated band just kept sitting over UNV during the night. It's still snowing lightly. Nice surprise.

17/10

Wow is right! I just measured 6" of low-density snow here just south of town. Definitely good snow growth with dendrites along with aggregates composed of dendrities falling. It's a good reminder of how limited we are in forecasting small-scale features.

Wow! Just checked State College's climatology for the day: 4.9" from 0.15" liquid. 33:1 !!!

Also, through the 27th, February's mean monthly temperature is 17.54F. The coldest February on record is 17.8F, so barring some sort of massive, completely unforeseen heat spike today (perhaps on the same order of magnitude as the snowfall seen today), the record is in the bag.

Wow! Just checked State College's climatology for the day: 4.9" from 0.15" liquid. 33:1 !!!

Also, through the 27th, February's mean monthly temperature is 17.54F. The coldest February on record is 17.8F, so barring some sort of massive, completely unforeseen heat spike today (perhaps on the same order of magnitude as the snowfall seen today), the record is in the bag.

Thanks I was just about to check that. It's some seriously high ratio stuff, I can't think of getting higher ratios from any event that was more than an inch or two from a narrow LE band or something.

Wonder how much will be left by the end of this afternoon.

Wow. Congrats on who got in on the overnight fun. I'm surprised on how much fell. This winter has been something else.

Yeah it was a very nice surprise after the last few events have underwhelmed. It reminds me a bit of that small mesoscale band that dropped 8-12" across central Lancaster County a few years ago but hardly anything just 10-15 miles either side.

Wow. Woke up and looked outside expecting to see maybe a dusting to an inch. It wasn't doing anything when I went to bed. Just measured 3.5"of new fluff.

Looks like an isolated band just kept sitting over UNV during the night. It's still snowing lightly. Nice surprise.

17/10

Wow is right! I just measured 6" of low-density snow here just south of town. Definitely good snow growth with dendrites along with aggregates composed of dendrities falling. It's a good reminder of how limited we are in forecasting small-scale features.

3.7" here in Boalsburg! A pleasure to shovel. And oddly our largest snowfall this February.

4" of pure fluff here. No issues even driving on the unplowed side roads just a bit ago.

3.7" of fluff in Bellefonte.  Awesome surprise snow. Looks like it was pretty limited to the Milesburg-State College corridor.

That's crazy! I saw the lingering snow on radar last night over the State College area but never would have thought it amounted to those amounts. 0 snow overnight here, there was quite the shadow off the Allegheny front over these parts.

wasnt expecting this?

Winter Storm Watch
URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGENATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE STATE COLLEGE PA123 PM EST FRI FEB 27 2015...HEAVY SNOW POSSIBLE ACROSS MUCH OF NORTHWESTERN PENNSYLVANIAEARLY SUNDAY THROUGH EARLY MONDAY....A POTENT AND SLOW MOVING UPPER LEVEL DISTURBANCE WILL IMPACTTHE REGION WITH PERIODS OF SNOW BEGINNING EARLY SUNDAY...ANDCONTINUING THROUGH AT LEAST A PORTION OF SUNDAY NIGHT.PAZ004-005-010-011-017-280900-/O.NEW.KCTP.WS.A.0005.150301T0900Z-150302T1200Z/WARREN-MCKEAN-ELK-CAMERON-CLEARFIELD-INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...WARREN...BRADFORD...ST. MARYS...RIDGWAY...EMPORIUM...DUBOIS...CLEARFIELD123 PM EST FRI FEB 27 2015...WINTER STORM WATCH IN EFFECT FROM LATE SATURDAY NIGHT THROUGHMONDAY MORNING...THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN STATE COLLEGE HAS ISSUED A WINTERSTORM WATCH...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM LATE SATURDAY NIGHT THROUGHMONDAY MORNING.* LOCATIONS...THE NORTHWEST MOUNTAINS.* HAZARD TYPES...HEAVY SNOW.* ACCUMULATIONS...SNOW ACCUMULATION OF 6 INCHES OR MORE POSSIBLE.* ICE ACCUMULATIONS...A LIGHT GLAZING OF FREEZING DRIZZLE POSSIBLE  AS THE SNOW ENDS LATE SUNDAY NIGHT OR MONDAY MORNING..* TIMING...LIGHT SNOW WILL OVERSPREAD THE REGION DURING THE MID  MORNING HOURS SUNDAY AND BECOME STEADIER AND HEAVIER SUNDAY  AFTERNOON AND NIGHT.* IMPACTS...HAZARDOUS TRAVEL FROM SNOW COVERED ROADS AND POOR  VISIBILITY AT TIMES.* WINDS...SOUTHWEST 5 TO 15 MPH WITH GUSTS UP TO 25 MPH.* TEMPERATURES...IN THE TEENS EARLY SUNDAY...RISING SLOWLY THROUGH  THE 20S SUNDAY AND SUNDAY NIGHT.

wasnt expecting this?

Winter Storm Watch
URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGENATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE STATE COLLEGE PA123 PM EST FRI FEB 27 2015...HEAVY SNOW POSSIBLE ACROSS MUCH OF NORTHWESTERN PENNSYLVANIAEARLY SUNDAY THROUGH EARLY MONDAY....A POTENT AND SLOW MOVING UPPER LEVEL DISTURBANCE WILL IMPACTTHE REGION WITH PERIODS OF SNOW BEGINNING EARLY SUNDAY...ANDCONTINUING THROUGH AT LEAST A PORTION OF SUNDAY NIGHT.PAZ004-005-010-011-017-280900-/O.NEW.KCTP.WS.A.0005.150301T0900Z-150302T1200Z/WARREN-MCKEAN-ELK-CAMERON-CLEARFIELD-INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...WARREN...BRADFORD...ST. MARYS...RIDGWAY...EMPORIUM...DUBOIS...CLEARFIELD123 PM EST FRI FEB 27 2015...WINTER STORM WATCH IN EFFECT FROM LATE SATURDAY NIGHT THROUGHMONDAY MORNING...THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN STATE COLLEGE HAS ISSUED A WINTERSTORM WATCH...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM LATE SATURDAY NIGHT THROUGHMONDAY MORNING.* LOCATIONS...THE NORTHWEST MOUNTAINS.* HAZARD TYPES...HEAVY SNOW.* ACCUMULATIONS...SNOW ACCUMULATION OF 6 INCHES OR MORE POSSIBLE.* ICE ACCUMULATIONS...A LIGHT GLAZING OF FREEZING DRIZZLE POSSIBLE  AS THE SNOW ENDS LATE SUNDAY NIGHT OR MONDAY MORNING..* TIMING...LIGHT SNOW WILL OVERSPREAD THE REGION DURING THE MID  MORNING HOURS SUNDAY AND BECOME STEADIER AND HEAVIER SUNDAY  AFTERNOON AND NIGHT.* IMPACTS...HAZARDOUS TRAVEL FROM SNOW COVERED ROADS AND POOR  VISIBILITY AT TIMES.* WINDS...SOUTHWEST 5 TO 15 MPH WITH GUSTS UP TO 25 MPH.* TEMPERATURES...IN THE TEENS EARLY SUNDAY...RISING SLOWLY THROUGH  THE 20S SUNDAY AND SUNDAY NIGHT.

The models have been putting you in a QPF bullseye the last several runs, where the western half of PA sees the most precip from this potential wave and your area in particular is in a good spot to not have any temp or mixing issues. The QPF being cranked out is certainly enough to warrant a potential for 6"+. 

The models have been putting you in a QPF bullseye the last several runs, where the western half of PA sees the most precip from this potential wave and your area in particular is in a good spot to not have any temp or mixing issues. The QPF being cranked out is certainly enough to warrant a potential for 6"+. 

Didnt even realize it. I guess im in my own little world ;)

Day 3 WPC probs are nice. >70% chance of 4" for PIT-FIG-UNV-IPT and >40% chance of 8" for much of western PA over to FIG.

What I have seen in the Pittsburgh forum of the afternoon euro is it plasters western and central pa with 4-8 inches of snow sunday into Monday..... then has the cutter for midweek.... then looks like another storm next weekend if iam reading it right.

Archived