joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA & The Fringes - Early March 2015

MAG5035

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Heavy snow. Measured 9 inches 15 minutes ago and pouring pixie dust still. Radar looks good for another 3 to 5 at these rates and ratios. Just a fantastic cold storm for March.

7bb9ff88b4e7a4ec2d6fbe94c5e7a187.jpg

Don't see this kind of weather much in these parts in March....let alone DJF

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2pm obs

Last hour - .5"

Storm total - 7.8"

Looks like we have a bit left to go. This has been a great March event. Don't want to beat the March sun angle to death but it was surprisingly bright even during the 1+/hr rates.

What's so crazy is that just a little west of here, nothing. You getting anything up there, MAG? There seems to be a real hole from Blair and Bedford county over to like Mifflin and Juniata that has missed out on just about every event this year, with exception to the November event.

The difference between 6 inches and nothing in this one is just crazy.

I have a grand total of 0.7" from this event, most of which fell in the late evening/overnight hours last night. Definitely an extremely disappointing one here locally but can't really call it a bust. Once this really got into HRRR/RAP range they did a very good job with modelling that hole in the central counties as well as nailing the significant amounts in the LSV. The arctic air filtering in on the NW flow at the surface wrecked anything immediately off the Allegheny front while west of here in the Laurels and western PA had advisory amounts to as much as 8-11" in the southern tier. It then developed south and east of here in the LSV. Hate missing em like that.

Otherwise I'm glad to see some of our southern folks cash in where they missed several earlier events this season. 

I cannot believe that it is STILL snowing heavily here.  The flakes came back down to their normal size that they were during the earlier heavy snow.  This extra part of this storm when it really looked like it was coming to an end back around 12:30 has been icing on the cake.  I just measured 4.8", picking up an additional inch since the snow started back up again around 1:30.  I'll try to contain myself and not post so much but....well, you know the feeling...

Down to 21.9.  Wonder how soon we will clear out later this evening and whether the winds will die down.  If we go calm, zero is within easy reach by sunrise tomorrow morning.  A fresh and deep snowpack works wonders with radiational cooling.

I cannot believe that it is STILL snowing heavily here. The flakes came back down to their normal size that they were during the earlier heavy snow. This extra part of this storm when it really looked like it was coming to an end back around 12:30 has been icing on the cake. I just measured 4.8", picking up an additional inch since the snow started back up again around 1:30. I'll try to contain myself and not post so much but....well, you know the feeling...

Down to 21.9. Wonder how soon we will clear out later this evening and whether the winds will die down. If we go calm, zero is within easy reach by sunrise tomorrow morning.

With fresh deep snowpack might dip below zero. Incredible for March.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Still moderate snow here. Just a great storm for us southern folk in the sub forum. I'm sorry some missed out on this and hope there still a good March doozy for all of us left in her bag of tricks before spring takes hold.

Safely 9" poss 10" if I were to guess.

Yes, WBASD did close today, why, I have no idea. I just graduated out of the system in 2010 and even I'm already at the point of "When I was in school" stories. :lmao:

How about it. I graduated for S. Williamsport in 08, and it safely took 4 to 5 on the ground and still snowing for a cancellation or a big storm that no way was going to miss. They still have pretty strict standards though, only one snow day all year.

Yes, WBASD did close today, why, I have no idea. I just graduated out of the system in 2010 and even I'm already at the point of "When I was in school" stories. :lmao:

How about Penn State main yesterday? Lol. First closing since getting throttled by the V-Day '07 storm. 

Still moderate snow here. Just a great storm for us southern folk in the sub forum. I'm sorry some missed out on this and hope there still a good March doozy for all of us left in her bag of tricks before spring takes hold.

Safely 9" poss 10" if I were to guess.

Never be sorry over snow, just enjoy!!! And at this point, I think even those of us who missed it are ready for a slow melt. Nice totals dude hope its into double digits.

How about Penn State main yesterday? Lol. First closing since getting throttled by the V-Day '07 storm. 

Weren't conditions down there though quite dangerous yesterday? Though I think a compressed/delayed schedule probably would have worked better. Still better than WBASD; they've really become hypersensitive to snow...

Weren't conditions down there though quite dangerous yesterday? Though I think a compressed/delayed schedule probably would have worked better. Still better than WBASD; they've really become hypersensitive to snow...

I'm sure it probably was pretty rough to walk around campus with the ice, though I'm not up in main anymore so would have to ask one of our State College friends in here. They also closed in anticipation of the colder temps and impending snowfall. Of course the snow ended up not being all that impending haha. 

Archived