Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Feb 25-26 Discussion/pbp

Wow

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They aren't the only ones. I watched channel 11 once or twice this morning and couldn't believe what i was seeing and hearing. They too were showing  their stupid rpm model...and all it showed was rain south and east of town while being completely dry north and west of town. So if you live in gainesville, taking the dude on 11 as truth, it's going to be dry and cloudy the rest of the week. Unreal. I realize it's pointless to get frustrated over the stupidity of these local stations and their garbage  but considering this is a high impact event, almost record setting for some areas, it's down right shameful they show that..especially since they act like what they are showing is exactly how it is going to play out..despite what we know the other modeling is showing.

You are right, this wont' be FFC's fault if people are caught off guard..this is all the local media's fault. I will say that at least on channel 5, the lady there said this one will probably end up being a much bigger deal than today.

I noticed this as well today with 11Alive.  Do we know what components make up the RPM, or is it strictly proprietary with no trade secret leaks?  Just wonder where it sources its raw data?

Jennifer Valdez today (meeeeeowww) showed an animated graphic measuring 3" at Hartsfield-Jackson this AM. with amounts of 3-5" north of the perimeter.

They aren't the only ones. I watched channel 11 once or twice this morning and couldn't believe what i was seeing and hearing. They too were showing  their stupid rpm model...and all it showed was rain south and east of town while being completely dry north and west of town. So if you live in gainesville, taking the dude on 11 as truth, it's going to be dry and cloudy the rest of the week. Unreal. I realize it's pointless to get frustrated over the stupidity of these local stations and their garbage  but considering this is a high impact event, almost record setting for some areas, it's down right shameful they show that..especially since they act like what they are showing is exactly how it is going to play out..despite what we know the other modeling is showing.

You are right, this wont' be FFC's fault if people are caught off guard..this is all the local media's fault. I will say that at least on channel 5, the lady there said this one will probably end up being a much bigger deal than today.

I just watched WSB for a few minutes to see, and Minton did show a few homemade call maps for tomorrow afternoon starting at 3pm and progressing to 5 and later.  There was some rain in the 5pm map but it was in south ATL.  All of north metro was covered by frozen mix, switching to snow in later hours.   If she committed any sin there it was just that she didn't specifically SAY that the commute tomorrow night will probably be impacted.  But in fairness right now their reporting is focused on what's happening this morning.  They still have 24 hours to talk about being off the roads late tomorrow.

FFC is doing a very fine job with issuances this winter, IMHO.  The key is getting them out during the day before the event so word has time to spread before people go to sleep for the night, and they have absolutely been doing that this winter.  It's good.

(Side question, how do these little stations have the money to develop all their little "in house models"? o.O)

And we all see what's being spit out by the models.  And FFC has put the metro counties on watch.  So if WSB is actually telling people it isn't going to snow in north ATL tomorrow, they're putting people in a bad position.  That's how Snowmageddon happened, general public didn't understand what was coming.  (I don't know if WSB is truly saying this or not, I don't watch or listen to their outlets.)

The cool thing is that the NWS uses the alert system to cell phones and such now.  So even in the face of crap reporting, hopefully when the warning goes out (and it eventually will), people get the news.

I don't hardly ever watch ATL news but I did today because I commute to N Cherokee Cty.  The guy (McNeal?) on NBC said his model showed all rain until the wee hours of Thursday morning and then only the mountains would see accumulating snowfall. Just wow.

The NAM at 36 hours has the SLP tracking over the pan handle, that's a good track and the NAM does have some skill at this range.  I don't think it's going to shift 100 miles south of this in the next 36 hours.

I haven't looked at anything except 5h and the SLP but really the NAM looks to be the same as 6z more or less. Should be a good run for most.

I noticed this as well today with 11Alive.  Do we know what components make up the RPM, or is it strictly proprietary with no trade secret leaks?  Just wonder where it sources its raw data?

Jennifer Valdez today (meeeeeowww) showed an animated graphic measuring 3" at Hartsfield-Jackson this AM. with amounts of 3-5" north of the perimeter.

The RPM family of models were considered just OK when I started following this stuff about 10 years ago. I have no idea if they've been keeping up with the times since then, though.

I don't hardly ever watch ATL news but I did today because I commute to N Cherokee Cty.  The guy (McNeal?) on NBC said his model showed all rain until the wee hours of Thursday morning and then only the mountains would see accumulating snowfall. Just wow.

Ol' Chester...yeah...Really made no sense at all based on what FFC has said and also what numerous other model suites  have shown.

Archived