• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
Feb 25-26 Discussion/pbp

Wow

Wow, he really did bump up his ideas fast. Looks reasonable given the model output this morning. We've got a nice blanket of snowfall and currently snowing. 1-2".. that'll keep the ground cool!

He tends to heavily weigh the SREF and the probabilities maps in his forecast from what I have seen. His map would support this idea. It does seem about 2 inches higher than I would go with at this lead time. I hope he is right.

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Biggest thing I like in the trends from the 00 - 06 is the lee side shadow has now filled in. I hope this is a trend that continues throughout the day. 

Hi-Res NAM looked just as wet to me vs. last nights run for total QPF...not sure why that WX bell map looks the way it does. If anything it's wetter. 

00z

6z

I think it's about the same as in reality as 6z came in a little wetter for this morning which that accounts for. 

Interesting discussion out of BHM this morning.......they're going with a blend of the NAM/SREF/ and EURO.....they feel the NAM is over amped as well but can't discount it either. Calling for the heaviest snows to be along I-20 and north reaching over toward Anniston. Don't want to weenie out. But looks like here in the northern Atlanta suburbs we're really in the jackpot zone.

- Buck

I agree..believe the sweet spot is going to generally be from between just north of i-20 to gainesville. This area seems to be in the location of heaviest precip while staying just cold enough for all snow. That said,  the mountains will have  higher ratios and probably less waisted on cooling the boundary layer initially. Regardless, things are looking good right now.

fwiw and not sure if it's been mentioned but the euro ensembles were a good bit colder vs earlier runs and maybe even a touch colder than the operational run for georgia..with the 0c 850s almost down to macon

I agree..believe the sweet spot is going to generally be from between just north of i-20 to gainesville. This area seems to be in the location of heaviest precip while staying just cold enough for all snow. That said,  the mountains will have  higher ratios and probably less waisted on cooling the boundary layer initially. Regardless, things are looking good right now.

fwiw and not sure if it's been mentioned but the euro ensembles were a good bit colder vs earlier runs and maybe even a touch colder than the operational run for georgia..with the 0c 850s almost down to macon

Hope you are correct Chris. My backyard. 

Dusting I got this morning. It came down pretty hard in places when I was driving to work.

post-594-0-39959100-1424783658_thumb.jpg

It does seem like the north half of ATL metro into the mountains is going to be the sweet spot, for sure.

At this point, my main concern is timing.  Understandably, there's been a lot of focus (by media) on today's event.  FFC did add watches for tomorrow's event at 3am today, but all media is saying is "there's another thing coming on Wednesday".  

But just looking at the timing shown by the various models... this is going to roll into the metro mid/late afternoon tomorrow.  Bad time of day, absolutely.  I hope two things: that the media flips to the new event fast enough today and really communicates that travel will suck late tomorrow afternoon, and that people make good choices about getting home early before it starts.  Otherwise we're in for another exciting episode of Snowmageddon.

Temps still in line?

It's a little warmer because it's a little NW but I am not worried about 850's, the SREF's are always to far NW and thus warm at this range so this is good.  The 2m's are going to be an issue to start tomorrow so that will have to be watched but I don't think we rain, but may not accumulate at first, atleast on the roads.

It's a little warmer because it's a little NW but I am not worried about 850's, the SREF's are always to far NW and thus warm at this range so this is good. The 2m's are going to be an issue to start tomorrow so that will have to be watched but I don't think we rain, but may not accumulate at first, atleast on the roads.

Thanks. All the amping up can stop. QPF looks fantastic though.

While the 9z sref is coming out, there were quite a few panels that were showing this for snow totals on the 3z.  Not trying to rile the weenies up but making everyone aware of the possibilities.  You can probably pivot that axis more north toward the MA based on what I've seen so far with the precip panels.  I see CLT to GSO to RDU getting blasted with this one.  8"+

Example sref member.. 

Lw06gYm.gif

Enjoy the warm up event this morning.  The real deal is coming tomorrow. :)

It does seem like the north half of ATL metro into the mountains is going to be the sweet spot, for sure.

At this point, my main concern is timing. Understandably, there's been a lot of focus (by media) on today's event. FFC did add watches for tomorrow's event at 3am today, but all media is saying is "there's another thing coming on Wednesday".

But just looking at the timing shown by the various models... this is going to roll into the metro mid/late afternoon tomorrow. Bad time of day, absolutely. I hope two things: that the media flips to the new event fast enough today and really communicates that travel will suck late tomorrow afternoon, and that people make good choices about getting home early before it starts. Otherwise we're in for another exciting episode of Snowmageddon.

WSB in house model shows zero snow for city of Atlanta. Not sure where they pull from but Minton just mostly a rainstorm, kind of a dangerous call I think right now.

Archived