Newest Member
    joxey
Feb 25-26 Discussion/pbp

Wow

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

CMC is a really good run for the ATL weenies

The UKMET track honestly does not look bad for them at all but its too warm at 850, it is colder than the 12Z run though, this run does give them about 1 inch of snow late Wednesday night, the previous run gave them nothing...I don't have much experience using the UKIE on borderline scenarios like this in the south so I cannot say if it could be running a tad warmer than reality, I'd think ATL would snow on that track though.

For NC, the canadian brought the precip field further north while maintaining the same low position.

I remember on Allan's old site (I think?... or was it HKY WX's?) he plotted the mean 6"+ snowfall low locations for RDU and HKY and they generally were surprisingly far offshore and not too different than what we're looking at now.

---

Anyways, the 00z GEFS definitely ticked NW, so that's a good sign for most of us.

I remember on Allan's old site (I think?... or was it HKY WX's?) he plotted the mean 6"+ snowfall low locations for RDU and HKY and they generally were surprisingly far offshore and not too different than what we're looking at now.

---

Anyways, the 00z GEFS definitely ticked NW, so that's a good sign for most of us.

I think we've both done a study on the climo tracks for snow and ice. Allan still has his somewhere on the web. I think mine was a thread either here or back on easternwx. The euro track is pretty good for both locations. Hickory snow track is from the northern gulf, crossing over the florida panhandle and up the coast just offshore. Raleigh's is from the northern gulf, crossing over northern fl peninsula and then up the coast about 50-100 miles offshore.

1223 AM Tues From WPC

***UPPER LOW EJECTING OUT OF THE SOUTHWEST******SURFACE LOW DEVELOPING OVER THE GULF OF MEXICO***PREFERENCE: 12Z ECMWF MEAN/00Z UKMETCONFIDENCE: AVERAGE THROUGH WEDNESDAY, THEN LIMITED CONFIDENCETHURSDAYA CLOSED LOW IN THE SOUTHWEST U.S. IS FORECAST TO EVOLVE INTO APRONOUNCED OPEN TROUGH ALOFT AS IT APPROACHES TEXAS BY WEDNESDAY. THIS WILL INDUCE A WAVE OF SURFACE LOW PRESSURE ALONG A STALLEDFRONT IN THE NORTHERN GULF OF MEXICO.  THIS LOW IS FORECAST TOCROSS NORTHERN FLORIDA AND OVER THE ATLANTIC BY WEDNESDAY NIGHT. THE GFS REMAINS MORE SUPPRESSED AND FASTER THAN THE OTHER MODELGUIDANCE IN RESPECT TO ITS PRESSURES AND QPF, WHILE THE NAM IS TOODEEP AT BOTH 700MB AND 500MB WITH THE TROUGH AXIS.  RIGHT NOW, THEECMWF MEAN HAS THE BEST POSITION FOR THE SURFACE LOW, AND THE 00ZUKMET IS ALSO CLOSE TO THE CONSENSUS. 

HAMMER TIME!!  Colder at 2m and 850...I-20 special from what I can tell through 6z thur...SLP is a bit further south, but not by much...colder run for MANY

yeah this is a much better run for north, parts of central ga and sc. 0c 850 is way down to central ga. Less precip overall but I'm sure many will take it if it means all snow.

And now the Euro is on the S/E side of guidance.  What a difference a day makes, and strange to see from the Euro.  Definitely a better run for AL/GA/SC.  NC is 2-4" for the most part.

looks like a better run for NC IMO, outside of the mountains

RDU Is 5", 12z had 4"

Widespread 10-11" east of 1-95 (kinda like the 18z NAM)...really jackpots eastern NC.

Harnett County south still gets 7-8"

It's actually not as heavy as the 12z was for NW GA border just west of ATL.

RDU Is 5", 12z had 4"

Widespread 10-11" east of 1-95 (kinda like the 18z NAM)...really jackpots eastern NC.

How is the Euro looking for the Upstate?

RDU Is 5", 12z had 4"

Jon, RDU's 5" is really only 3" from the 2/25 storm as the Euro inexplicably drops 2" at RDU tomorrow.  It also drops 2-4" of snow across much of SE NC, which makes it look heavier than it is there.

For 24-hr totals from the 2/25-26 storm alone, I am getting:

CLT: 3"

GSO: 2"

RDU: 3"

Rockingham: 5"

PGV: 7" (Packbacker's jackpot!)

Looks like the max of 6-8" runs from SE of Fayetteville up through and just NE of PGV.

I might be making too much over small changes, though. :)

How is the Euro looking for the Upstate?

Central upstate, if that's a thing, is 5-6"...CAE is around 2-4", western upstate is around 5-6" and NE upstate is 4-8" with higher totals near NC border.  Biggest change from 12z is involving CAE going from T-1" to 2-4"

Edit: sorry this is total snowfall through Thursday unless you get in on any action tomorrow.

Jon, RDU's 5" is really only 3" from the 2/25 storm as the Euro inexplicably drops 2" at RDU tomorrow.  It also drops 2-4" of snow across much of SE NC, which makes it look heavier than it is there.

Oh yeah, I forgot about that trend of a snowstorm we have tomorrow...geez...

oh well, 24 hour snowfall at 72hrs has widespread 6-7" east of I-95 and 4-5" RDU south through Harnett to the SC border. There. haha

Oh yeah, I forgot about that trend of a snowstorm we have tomorrow...geez...

oh well, 24 hour snowfall at 72hrs has widespread 6-7" east of I-95 and 4-5" RDU south through Harnett to the SC border. There. haha

I think it's high time to ride the NAM to the glory hole!

And, also, this isn't in the Euro's wheelhouse anymore or something... :yikes:;)

But, seriously, if the worst snowfall (aside from the hopefully lost GFS) still shows 2-3", I guess that says something.

---

BTW, Chris/Delta, I think your call map looks pretty good at this point.

I think it's high time to ride the NAM to the glory hole!

And, also, this isn't in the Euro's wheelhouse anymore or something... :yikes:;)

But, seriously, if the worst snowfall (aside from the hopefully lost GFS) still shows 2-3", I guess that says something.

---

BTW, Chris/Delta, I think your call map looks pretty good at this point.

Thanks bud!  I hope it climbs the coast a bit for yall, but I just don't at this point.

Archived