amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
2/21-2/23 Weekend Possible Storm

Zelocita Weather

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah the HRRR clearly showed this band hitting the philly area and EPA pretty hard before weakening as it works its way into NJ. More snow will be coming through to follow, and although EPA will see higher totals, we will still get our few inches or so in the NYC area. Again, I still think it's a 2-4" snowfall for the NYC/NENJ area with the 5-6" amounts further S and W. The forecasts of 4-8" for our areas are overdone (just in my opinion), unless we're factoring in EPA/WNJ. If it looks like a 3 or 4 inch snowfall, no reason to spread it out into the 4-8" range (because if I doubt we'd ever call for 1-3" if we were expecting 4-6") . Upton's call looks perfectly fine for what is expected and modeled.

Upton is going to bust on this, no way does anyone anywhere see only 1 inch from this, I'm a heck of a lot more worried someone may see 8 or 10 inches than 1. 

The surface low moving into the lakes should fizzle completely around 0z Sunday. Dynamically I don't see any reason for it to survive. My thinking is this will look much more like an arctic frontal passage, than a SWFE. Perhaps more accurately, it's a hybrid of sorts as it transitions from the latter to the former. I can see a weak surface low wanting to form east of the cape, or near down east Maine...I'm thinking one of these two areas should take precedence.

The implications of this on coastal areas is potentially significant as the wind direction will have more of a westerly component (over land).

There is significant risk, in my opinion, that coastal areas surprise to the upside in terms of frozen precip.

Upton update at about 10 something this morning

THE FORECAST CHALLENGES ARE HOW FAST DOES A LOW LEVEL WARM NOSE

FROM AROUND 875-975 HPA MOVE IN AND DEGREE OF SHALLOW COLD AIR

GETTING LOCKED IN AT THE SURFACE AS COASTAL FRONT/WARM FRONT

APPROACH TONIGHT. 12Z NAM AND SBU/ALY WRF INDICATING A WEAK MESO-

LOW DEVELOPING ALONG THE WARM FRONT OVER OR JUST SOUTH OF

LI...WHICH WOULD PROMOTE TRAPPING OF SUB-FREEZING SURFACE AIR DOWN

INTO AT LEAST NORTHERN PORTIONS OF LI AND NYC METRO AND POINTS N

AND W TONIGHT. IF TRENDS HOLDS WITH 12Z GUIDANCE...A BIT MORE

FREEZING RAIN/ICE ACCUM MAY BE NEEDED AND FURTHER SOUTH FOR TONIGHT

WITH AFTERNOON FORECAST UPDATE.

Upton is going to bust on this, no way does anyone anywhere see only 1 inch from this, I'm a heck of a lot more worried someone may see 8 or 10 inches than 1. 

I trust your take. You have been consistent in trumpting the wall of snow idea & looking at radar I can see it coming. I agree no way we just see 2-3 inches. The nowcast begins

That dry slot is well east of central PA, and into eastern PA now....and unless it fills in will be very close to going over rockland county. ( and all counties to the west and nw).  Regardless though....Im now two hours and 10 mins into virga. Radar has the snow expanded up to Albany already. This is like a bad dream.

Right. My point was that it looked to be trying to fill in from western PA eastward. Doesn't look like its going to fully get there. Someones gonna get dry slotted big time. Looks to be N-NW NJ.

No way anybody on LI (Including NYC) sees close to 8". I think Uptons call is dead on with maybe a few areas (North shore mostly) seeing perhaps 5".

Not sold on an extended period of changeover to rain either.

May need to eat crow but I'm sticking with it.

3-6 seems like a good call for nyc

Right. My point was that it looked to be trying to fill in from western PA eastward. Doesn't look like its going to fully get there. Someones gonna get dry slotted big time. Looks to be N-NW NJ.

Sorry. I misunderstood your previous post, and thought you were saying the dry slot was all the way in western PA

Correct. It's going to be a close call.....and after 2.5 hours of virga, if it does ( if) we are going to get very little snow. No 2 ways about it

KB

imby cryin is not allowed here...

you will do well sir...trust me 

go outside for a walk by the time you get back you into snow

http://rammb.cira.colostate.edu/ramsdis/online/goes-west_goes-east.asp

Archived