• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
February 16th - February 17th Snow/Ice Storm OBS

superjames1992

I don't see a major ice storm for NC (light to some moderate in spots).  Precip duration not long enough / not enough total precip

What do you consider moderate? I myself consider even 0.25in to not be a huge deal. Now once you get up close to .5 damage begins to increase exponentially. Right now I'm thinking most areas will stay around or below 1/3in.

BTW 30/2 here making for a wetbulb of 23.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We're at 33 degrees with some light rain falling now......dewpoint is still in the low 20s.  If had to make a guess, the dividing line in NE Georgia is probably going to set up somewhere along the NE part of Gwinnett County like it usually does.  Lawrenceville had a temp of 36 with a DP of 21 as of 11 AM.

- Buck

gainesville is reporting freezing rain and 32 over 22 now. They will drop into the 20s. nam/gfs busting by quite a bit..especially the nam.

what a huge bust by the nam on temps. gainesville is 31 over 22 with mixed precip when the nam got them to 40 this afternoon. It got me to damn near 50 and it's 37 over 14 with light sleet.

Yea, I'm thinking we might finally have a storm busting on the cold side.  I think I'm about to wetbulb down to at least 28 or 29 and no short range model had me going below 31... and actually no shortrange model had me going below freezing until around 6 oclock.

Also, No model had precip starting before about 3pm here and it has already started.  The radar looks absolutely awesome for my area right now....

what a huge bust by the nam on temps. gainesville is 31 over 22 with mixed precip when the nam got them to 40 this afternoon. It got me to damn near 50 and it's 37 over 14 with light sleet.

Areas around Gainesville and NE could be looking at more significant icing than we thought.  Temps aren't going to rise much if at all this afternoon, we just need to get more precip. in here and see what happens.  Looks like areas just to the south of Gainesville around Buford, Dacula, and Winder could wet bulb down to about 29 or 30 with steadier precip.  We're still at 33 here, with light rain.

- Buck

It has been 32 for the last hour here in buford... bushes have a light glaze as well as the street signs!

the radar just not getting it done

Archived