Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
February 16-17 Storm Threat

WxUSAF

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's also sort of amusing how everyone in this thread claims north trend, while everyone in the southeast winter storm thread claim south trend. Discrepancies (*cough* bias *cough*) abound.

To be honest, the people in the SE forum are mostly wishcasting. There has been an undeniable north trend in the past few model runs on almost all models.

definitely could get 1/30/10 type ratios with this one

Prob go above 10:1 as is. 12:1-15:1 maybe. Going higher is a little weenie but not impossible.

I was going to say 13:1 or 14:1 is certainly within the realm of ratios for DC and everything will stick immediately which is nice.  I won't have to look at the wet pavement while my grass/mulch gets coated.  

A storm like 1/30/10, I always wonder if those liquid totals are too low.  We know at DCA they are but even at IAD maybe...I think IAD was 15:1?, DCA 20:1...lol....Someone can confirm.  I always worry about poor snow growth.  Luckily we don't waste any QPF.  I think once you can come up with a QPF number...and everyone does that a different way.  A dry, fluffy snow will pile up nicely.  12-14:1 seems reasonable....so 0.5" would yield 6-7"...of course someone is going to get banded and get more within that QPF area...I might include 8" on the high end of a 0.5" QPF forecast for this one given potential high ratios, and jackpotting....Perhaps someone can shed light on the snow growth layers as we get closer....

The trend this winter has been New England hits while everyone else gets little or nothing. Soon, you may be out of it, too...if it keeps moving north...

We have a deflector shield just south of EZF for these situations. You are right that the north trend can stop but inside 36 hours I would think we have to be getting close to a consensus. Hopefully you are on the north side of RIC

would kill for a 1/30/10 type storm again, especially with the cold week on tap..  

Me too.  For that 1/30/10 deal I actually drove down to my parents' in Calvert where 6-10" was predicted, vs. just 2-4 for Germantown.  They got 7.5" and Germantown got 7".  LOL 120-mile round trip for 1/2"!  It was fun though.

Like others say, I'd rather be needing a little more north trend than hoping for one to come south.  I really like seeing all those WS watches and warnings to our WSW.

You know they don't change forecasts ever time a new model runs. Looking at their products right now isn't going to excite you.

I am well aware of that, and I was not looking to be "excited" by what they say.  No need to be condescending.  I was just commenting that they were actually more bullish (relatively speaking) the last time I looked at things last night compared to this morning, even with the latest model shifts and trends since 00Z.  That said, they have hedged toward the earlier time frame.

Sitting on hot coals and sweating bullets up here.  Looks like we are fringed again on the Mason Dixon like we did in March of last year.  Maybe we make up with ratios.  Either way I hope Baltimore and DC proper get smashed.  Be nice to see the office closed in town.   

Yup, story of our winter. Storm is too north or too south

lol...the NAM shifted well north and the EURO gave you both 6"...

Archived