• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
The Valentine's Day Massacre Obs--A snow job or does it only blow?

moneypitmike

Serious question...when you look at a model like the RGEM which had .7 to 1" about 20-30 miles too far east where it clearly had the best mid level support sliding just off the beaches....   was it just bad placement?  It's not like that snow existed in both places..the banding was over EMA, not 20 miles off the beach...but it did have it.

Others..not so much.

That 00z RGEM run was not bad and really a hint that banding could be very intense (showed 0.50" QPF in 3 hours on Cape Ann)...but it had some ghastly runs before that leading up to the event.

I don't think any model performed well in this. GFS was hideous with all the QPF west of ORH and even a bit too heavy over E MA (though closer than some others guidance)...Euro was great showing awful QPF west of ORH but was deplorable just about everywhere else...esp up in Maine. Bad system for NWP guidance as a whole is how I would sum it up.

I'm sure they'll be much better going forward, it's rare that they are this poor in an event. Lots of moving parts in this one made it difficult on them...and they probably really struggled with the advection processes in the low levels which may have translated some up to the ML lift.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ask a trooper.... due to driving too fast for the conditions.   Some injuries non appear to be life threatening which is positive.

Yes.

http://www.wcvb.com/news/multicar-pileup-closes-route-128-in-waltham/31285076

WOW

note in the article , officers cited a "snow squall".  No snow squalls at 245pm today (time of accident) more like from BLowing snow reducing visibility in that area. Wonder if  the open "area"  to the right ( west) of  that south bound lane at exit 27 was really catching a good amount of wind and blowing that drifting snow onto the road producing some slick road conditions

WOW

note in the article , officers cited a "snow squall". No snow squalls at 245pm today (time of accident) more like from BLowing snow reducing visibility in that area. Wonder if the open "area" to the right ( west) of that south bound lane at exit 27 was really catching a good amount of wind and blowing that drifting snow onto the road producing some slick road conditions

I was just on the road, some dicey spots

0215151402.jpg

7.4F/-2

Wind chill is -9 now. Snowblowing now is kind of a joke, but the neighbor is doing it

I think were definitely gusting to 40 now 

From second floor BR, Watching the  gusty winds blow the snow off the roof of a school across the street, covering the few brave souls struggling to climb up the small hill on Main street. Lol it is brutal now.

Can't imagine being on a MTN.

Tried to load the Vid but file was too big. Here's a pic from my walk this am to the convenient 24 Walgreens Next door, I took the next side street to see what houses looked like. BURIED

post-498-0-90346600-1424038066_thumb.jpg

Unbelievable, more snow in Boston and the western suburbs than northern Maine and Vermont.

SLK already down to -10F... I've got -3F at home.  -19F at the summit.  Windy.

Unbelievable, more snow in Boston and the western suburbs than northern Maine and Vermont.

Awesome to both these posts.

7.4/-4

Yeah shows you how ridiculous it is because its not like the northern tier is having a bad year, just around average.  The fabled snow zone from the northern Greens back through Pittsburgh, NH and up through Maine isn't in the lead anymore, lol.  Pittsburgh, NH with 24" snow depth, which seems low for over 1,500ft in that location.  I've been oscillating between 20-25" at home now for what seems like a month, haha.  Up the road though its 36-38" at 1,500ft. 

Definitely a coastal plain dream pattern...I was surprised to see some of the Maine spots like one county band behind the coast like Waldo County, Kennebec County, and Androscoggin County, etc are in the 20-27" range.... I figured that area just north of PWM and inland would've been much higher.  As it is, the highest snowpack in the entire state of Maine is literally on the coastline with lots of 40"+ depths on CoCoRAHS this morning right on the Atlantic.  That has to be pretty rare.

I think were definitely gusting to 40 now 

From second floor BR, Watching the  gusty winds blow the snow off the roof of a school across the street, covering the few brave souls struggling to climb up the small hill on Main street. Lol it is brutal now.

Can't imagine being on a MTN.

Really wasn't too bad today.  We've seen worse this season, haha.  Tomorrow morning will be worse than today though... forecast calls for -20F to -25F ambient with 40-50mph winds at the summit.

Today was another awesome day in this amazing stretch of skiing.  Only 4" of new snow but filled everything in again.  This has been the season of constant snows where we don't have to wait more than like 72 hours to get more fresh powder...and its been like that since November.  Not an amazing snow total, but this is one of the more well-rounded ski seasons I can remember in quite some time.  Maybe back to 2007-2008 as far as consistency goes.

Bundle up and shred some pow.

10387317_10102137380643920_6879112263187

Great view of the sunset on the snow today. Six foot febce is no longer visible due to drifting in the backyard. And if you think a random compacted chunk of ice is negligible, I offer you these random "snow" pictures while "working" the snowblower!

From a real weather standpoint, does the fact this storm shifted due east make Monday/Tuesday more of an OTS event as there is blocking in place now?

post-10068-0-38053900-1424037731_thumb.j

post-10068-0-55703000-1424037747_thumb.j

About 12" up here at Newfound Lake in Central NH.  Temperatures today stayed in the single numbers and as of 5pm is -1F.  Winds were blowing mostly in the 30''s all day, my Davis recorded a high gust of 36mph.  Lake is obviously frozen and shore roads along the southern side had a ground blizzard going all day.  Forget 1/4 mile visabilities on some stretches it was down to 25 feet at times.  Here is a short video I took driving along the lake.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=csdR8xjgZU8

Archived