• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
The Valentine's Day Massacre Obs--A snow job or does it only blow?

moneypitmike

Final figure here 11.5". My tallest holly bush is just over 4 feet and less than 8" showing. Drift on five foot fence in the back yard is within inches of the top of it.... Hard to tell what the depth is on the flat since it has blown around so much. I have 6 foot drifts on one side of the house....less than two feet on the other. Maybe 40" on the ground? Definitely more than we had after the blizzard gave us 36" (and whatever compaction we had that first day after). -12C/11F... High of -8C/18F sometime after midnight.

We've passed the 2011 peak depth...I had 38" at the max that winter...this is now closer to 41-43" though I'm sure it will settle back into the mid to high 30s within 24 hours.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

how does the snow depth compare to march 01?

I actually still think it's a bit short. Esp for N ORH county and down into northern ORH...probably beats Mar '01 in Shrewsbury though...esp lower elevations. That month became very stratified for snow depth quite quickly...I remember seeing 24" pack up near Holden line and probably patches of grass showing in southern parts of the city at lower elevations by middle of the month. Then the 3/30 event was ridiculous...it gave N ORH like 9" of paste and like 2" of slop at the southern parts of the city.

And by the way I thought the rule was 35 sustained. I don't believe we have seen that yet certainly doesn't feel like it, but maybe it's just gusts which is weak

good call on underwhelming winds in the interior, LWM hasn't even reached 30 knots for gusts (as far as I can see). ORH has been gusting to 40 + mph though, nothing exceptional for that location

good call on underwhelming winds in the interior, LWM hasn't even reached 30 knots for gusts (as far as I can see).

Cheeseball blizzard criteria I see it's sustained OR FREQUENT gusts lol. Winds were lame down here and not close to hurricane force yet anywhere on cape cod peak gust was 62. So much for tens or hundreds of thousands without power. This is a good thing not a complaint but under 1k now down here.

Roads are fine I'm out checking Phils measurements right now.

http://outage.nstar.com/outage/mobile.aspx

17.5" will do it

Final.

Dim orb of sun choking off final flakes.

102" on the season.

New all-time depth record established.

37"...ranges from 34"-40"

Surpasses that of February 1969 by 1".

First time in my life that I had to not only wade through waist deep snow (I'm 5'7"), but had to employ two stacked yard sticks to accolade total depth.

16.8/15

Unreal.

doghouse.pdf

car gone.pdf

No it's gusts to 35mph for 3 consecutive hours

It's kind of a vague definition. I think (don't hold me to it) it used to be under 1/4SM vis, sustained at 35mph, and then you had the temp requirement (<20F?) for 3 straight hours. Obviously now it's 1/4SM or less, frequent gusts to 35mph, and no temp requirement. What the heck does frequent gusts to 35mph even mean? If there's one special ob mixed in of 28mph does that nullify it? What about one special ob of 1/2SM when the rest of the 3hrs is M1/4SM? The site could be gusting briefly to under 35mph too and it woudn't trigger a SPECI. All of the old manned obs were mostly just hourly so maybe just stick with the regularly scheduled METARs only?

It's kind of a vague definition. I think (don't hold me to it) it used to be under 1/4SM vis, sustained at 35mph, and then you had the temp requirement (<20F?) for 3 straight hours. Obviously now it's 1/4SM or less, frequent gusts to 35mph, and no temp requirement. What the heck does frequent gusts to 35mph even mean? If there's one special ob mixed in of 28mph does that nullify it? What about one special ob of 1/2SM when the rest of the 3hrs is M1/4SM? The site could be gusting briefly to under 35mph too and it woudn't trigger a SPECI. All of the old manned obs were mostly just hourly so maybe just stick with the regularly scheduled METARs only?

Yep. And in that case.... I didn't realize we had an arbitrary definition now. I knew the temp thing was gone didn't realize it was now also "gusts" but hey don't bet unless you know the rules!

The hype didn't match the winds. There were no massive power outages which is a great thing. Roads are fine in many of the confirmed blizzard spots. route 3 is blacktop. Just not seeing the hyped massive outages and structural damage. Winds were lame by comparison to the other beasts this year which made the snow way more enjoyable.

It snowed harder last night and for an hour today than it has all year. This was about 4 hours of 2-3 per hour here split between last night and today. Sun is breaking through now

"The heaviest snow will stretch from northeastern Massachusetts to coastal Maine with more than a foot expected, AccuWeather predicts. Wind gusts could approach 70 mph in some spots — strong enough to cause structural damage and widespread power outages, the weather service said."

Archived