joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February 14-15 2015 Storm Observations

Rtd208

• Replies 460
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Very disappointing to have only gotten 1/4" or so here in the Edison area, when it sounds like many other folks to the NW and W got an inch or so and LI got 1-2".  I hope that inverted trough hits here - otherwise, we'll likely just get an inch or so with the intense front coming through around 8-9 pm.  

Take it easy guys, the low pressure didn't go offshore yet! Once we get that ocean feed effect into it, someone could get some quick 2-3 inch hour rates. The snow should be quite fluffy than as supposed to the initial wave which was mostly wet, but not that wet like you get with 32 degree snow.

At 7:15 PM precipitation has come to an end in Port Jefferson...with a feel reminiscent of that moment in Titanic right after the ship hit the iceberg and the captain yelled (a few minutes too late) "All stop!"  (Not as if they were capable of maneuvering anyway).  Temperature is 27 F with a dewpoint of 25 F / humidity 91 %.  Winds are dead calm / smoke rises vertically.  The first round of snow yielded a rather shocking 3.2 inches over here...I was expecting, at best an inch or maybe slightly better.  The depth of snow on the ground is now 13.7 inches...the month of February has now seen 11.0 inches of snow...and the annual total has been upped to 36.5 inches...a pretty fair amount considering we were sitting on 3.5 inches for the season as recently as January 23rd.  The ground has now been well covered with snow for 22 consecutive days here. 

At 7:15 PM precipitation has come to an end in Port Jefferson...with a feel reminiscent of that moment in Titanic right after the ship hit the iceberg and the captain yelled (a few minutes too late) "All stop!" (Not as if they were capable of maneuvering anyway). Temperature is 27 F with a dewpoint of 25 F / humidity 91 %. Winds are dead calm / smoke rises vertically. The first round of snow yielded a rather shocking 3.2 inches over here...I was expecting, at best an inch or maybe slightly better. The depth of snow on the ground is now 13.7 inches...the month of February has now seen 11.0 inches of snow...and the annual total has been upped to 36.5 inches...a pretty fair amount considering we were sitting on 3.5 inches for the season as recently as January 23rd. The ground has now been well covered with snow for 22 consecutive days here.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say you were just watching Titanic on TV like I was? :-)

Moved down to the Shore bureau where we have a whole lot of nothing right now in Wall. Hoping some of that stuff over DE/SEPA can get up to us in time for the 10 pm live hit. 

The squall line over PA doesn't look nearly impressive as it did a few hours ago (Man, I've said that a lot during the warm months)

Moved down to the Shore bureau where we have a whole lot of nothing right now in Wall. Hoping some of that stuff over DE/SEPA can get up to us in time for the 10 pm live hit. 

The squall line over PA doesn't look nearly impressive as it did a few hours ago (Man, I've said that a lot during the warm months)

Mountains weakening it probably, wait for it to get pat them.

Famartin made a great point, below - band looking healthy again, as it approaches Allentown, PA - also looks really juicy in SE PA/DE/SWNJ - hoping that blob makes it north of the Raritan...

Radar coverage may be limiting how much of the convective line we see, its very low level so the more distant radars that currently cover it may not be getting a good sampling.

That said, there are definitely models suggesting that northwestern areas of the CWA get ripped off, so the idea of a "bust" in those places is not entirely out-of-line.

Famartin made a great point, below - band looking healthy again, as it approaches Allentown, PA - also looks really juicy in SE PA/DE/SWNJ - hoping that blob makes it north of the Raritan...

Famartin was correct. It looked like it was weakening and might be a dud here, but it hit hard. I got 1.5" in 20-25 minutes.

For anyone wondering about the squall line being healthy - this guy is just north of Allentown, PA and got 1.5" in 25 min.  Can't wait for that squall line...

I'd say it didn't. I ate crow in the CPA thread, and I will do so here as well. We got 1.5 inches in about 25 minutes as that thing ripped through Tamaqua. Here's a pic during the heaviest part. Other than the streetlights, visibility was about a half a block here.

attachicon.gif 20150214_7054.jpg

Archived