• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Upstate NY/North Country and Canadian/VT Borders Mid Feb. 2015 through end of Winter

I was sure all the variables were pointing towards one last storm. But I've completely lost faith. I think this winter is just gonna coldly limp out. It was a good run. Still, with all the 'stars aligning' for the last two or three weeks, I'm amazed we couldn't pull a phase thing! Sad. See Ya all next winter

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1F here this morning.

Please just make it stop.

I'm with ya! 12 F here this morning, hi's only in the 20s the last 2 days, another cold blast this weekend and then more cold shots thereafter into April.

Not sure we've seen the last of the snow either...long range GFS gives us a couple of potential events.

Enough!

A nice rain and 38F here in Oswego. We'll see if we can manage to drop below freezing and see snow. I have my doubts but I've been wrong before. 

EDIT: Already some huge flakes mixed in and 37F. Only the bottom 75mb or so of the column needs to cool down so we should manage more flakes through the afternoon. 

I find that bright band of snow on the Niagara Pennisula interesting.  I can't tell if that is just extra snowpack from early season LE, or if some recent lake effect occurred on a SW wind from that small swath of open water on the North Side of lake Erie.  Either way, that is a pretty impressive gradient to that snowpack.  

There is also a fresh band of snowpack at the very south end of Lake Huron from a band that formed a few nights ago.  Pretty cool stuff. 

May 1st when the ice boom gets taken out?

11081204_1015949515101403_22803530551344

Depending on the track of the cyclone, Fri. night/Sat could get interesting for a period of time for some folks in northern/western NY. Consensus now seems to be a track from ELM to GFL, any southeastward shift would certainly increase the chances for an early April snowfall.

Depending on the track of the cyclone, Fri. night/Sat could get interesting for a period of time for some folks in northern/western NY. Consensus now seems to be a track from ELM to GFL, any southeastward shift would certainly increase the chances for an early April snowfall.

A ROBUST PACIFIC SHORTWAVE WILL MAKE ITS WAY OUT OF THE SOUTHERN

ROCKIES AND CROSS THE CENTRAL PLAINS ON FRIDAY...AND THIS WILL

ENERGIZE A SFC WAVE OVER THE LOWER OHIO VALLEY IN THE PROCESS. THIS

WAVE WILL CONSOLIDATE INTO A RAPIDLY DEEPENING SUB 990MB LOW WHICH

WILL LIFT NORTHEAST ALONG A PRE-EXISTING BAROCLINIC ZONE FRIDAY

NIGHT...TRACKING BY TO OUR SOUTH ACROSS NORTHWEST PENNSYLVANIA TO

NEW ENGLAND BY SATURDAY MORNING. WHILE THIS WOULD BE A `WARM` TRACK

FOR OUR REGION FOR THE FIRST HALF OF THE EVENT...WE WOULD ALSO

EXPERIENCE A SWATH OF WHAT SHOULD BE AN IMPRESSIVE DEFORMATION ZONE

WHERE A SWATH OF MODERATE TO HEAVY SNOW WOULD BE POSSIBLE. WHILE THE

OPERATIONAL RUNS OF THE GFS AND ECMWF ARE UNUSUALLY CLOSE WITH THE

FORECAST TRACK...THE RELATING ENSEMBLE MEMBERS OF THESE PACKAGES

DEPICT A FAIRLY WIDE SPREAD OF SOLUTIONS. IT CANNOT BE EMPHASIZED

ENOUGH THAT A CHANGE IN THE FORECAST TRACK OF 50 MILES COULD BE THE

DIFFERENCE BETWEEN A COLD RAIN EVENT AND A MEMORABLE SNOWFALL.

650x366_03311407_hd27.jpg

I was so impressed this weekend in Andes...elev 2000ft, where we had a solid foot of densely packed and frozen snow that you could walk across without sinking even an inch.  Hiked up another thousand feet where there was close to 30'.  Just below us there were several patches of grass. It was a nice winter-like surprise of a weekend.

Archived