• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Upstate NY/North Country and Canadian/VT Borders Mid Feb. 2015 through end of Winter

It is amazing, especially after last winter...which we all thought was a "once in a generation" type event. Then we follow that up by smashing the all time records like this.

Think about the variability the last several years. Just a few years ago we had one of the warmest winters ever. Now one of the coldest including the coldest month ever recorded. It's been a wild ride!

Gotta go clear some snow and ice from the roof. I think a lot of people are going to have damage, based on the size of the ice dams I've seen on many houses.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, I have to say I was quite wrong about this cold stretch. It has been pretty historic. While we do get a day or two shot of this most every winter, the repeated nature of reloads and persistence of this pattern has been impressive.

As far as what is now looking like a Sunday snow...will be interesting to see if we can repeat last Sunday's low warning criteria event. We were right on the edge of where the heavier snow stayed in place, IMBY. Hopefully, I get similarly lucky. Midweek looking like a good day to leave the car out for a long overdue car wash...if it's not encased in ice. I'm surprised this storm hasnt trended a bit colder over the past few days but guidance has been pretty adamant that it will track over the eastern lakes. Only hope for a more frozen scenario is a weaker system. Not sure that would be a good deal if the more frozen is ZR. Regardless, looks like we hit low 40s. Coastal sections probably have an extended stretch in the mid/upper 40s, maybe 50 from NYC/LI south.

Well, I have to say I was quite wrong about this cold stretch. It has been pretty historic. While we do get a day or two shot of this most every winter, the repeated nature of reloads and persistence of this pattern has been impressive.

As far as what is now looking like a Sunday snow...will be interesting to see if we can repeat last Sunday's low warning criteria event. We were right on the edge of where the heavier snow stayed in place, IMBY. Hopefully, I get similarly lucky. Midweek looking like a good day to leave the car out for a long overdue car wash...if it's not encased in ice. I'm surprised this storm hasnt trended a bit colder over the past few days but guidance has been pretty adamant that it will track over the eastern lakes. Only hope for a more frozen scenario is a weaker system. Not sure that would be a good deal if the more frozen is ZR. Regardless, looks like we hit low 40s. Coastal sections probably have an extended stretch in the mid/upper 40s, maybe 50 from NYC/LI south.

I haven't washed the truck since early January :sad: btw it's currently -10F at my parents house in Alden.

I haven't washed the truck since early January :sad: btw it's currently -10F at my parents house in Alden.

It's official, February, 2015 was the coldest month in Syracuse since records have been kept with an average temperature of 9.0 degrees F! That's 16.9 degrees below normal! The average minimum temperature was below zero at -0.6 F. The average maximum temperature was only 18.6 F. It was also the second snowiest February with 59.9 inches. We will long remember this month! Now on to Spring.

It's official, February, 2015 was the coldest month in Syracuse since records have been kept with an average temperature of 9.0 degrees F! That's 16.9 degrees below normal! The average minimum temperature was below zero at -0.6 F. The average maximum temperature was only 18.6 F. It was also the second snowiest February with 59.9 inches. We will long remember this month! Now on to Spring.

Set records in Buffalo and Rochester to

#‎February‬ 2015 will go down in the ‪#‎record‬ books as the coldest month in our climate station history! Records for both ‪#‎buffalo‬ and ‪#‎Rochester‬ date back to 1871 and 1950 for ‪#‎Watertown‬. The new monthly average record for Buffalo is 10.9F, Rochester 12.2F and 6.1F for Watertown. In the snowfall department, Buffalo recorded 46.2 inches and Rochester 45.2 inches both impressive snowfall totals for the month.

Glad we smashed records throughout upstate NY. I can do another week or two of this, sort of just admiring the snow depth and piles...

Today looks like a yawner event...Tues/Wed not spectacular either, nothing that will be impactful, other than ice for some.

Looking at medium range, agree that thru day 10 or so, looks to be AOB normal but after that increasing signs of some sort of warmup...about mid month, which is right on schedule. Usually after 3/15 or so, the corner gets turned, even in colder winters. Wouldn't surprise me if we get a week or so of mild weather and then reload the pattern a bit. Of course, late March into April cold wont be as severe but can be most annoying if we don't get a late season snowstorm out of it. Hopefully we don't get a ferocious torch and a deluge of rain with it. A gradual meltdown would be ideal.

Well...records galore for this forum. I'll be a bit sad to see KSYR's consecutive sub freezing day string snapped this Wednesday, as appears likely, although losing the 0F low temps won't be missed by me. So it looks like we have another 7-10 days of winter before the pattern really breaks down, it appears. If it ends mid March, I can accept that.

Well...records galore for this forum. I'll be a bit sad to see KSYR's consecutive sub freezing day string snapped this Wednesday, as appears likely, although losing the 0F low temps won't be missed by me. So it looks like we have another 7-10 days of winter before the pattern really breaks down, it appears. If it ends mid March, I can accept that.

If it breaks mid-month, that would be great. But that break always seems to be 10 days away.

If it breaks mid-month, that would be great. But that break always seems to be 10 days away.

...and the PNA appears to be headed up over the next 2 weeks....at least as progged, which would tend to keep us at or below normal this time of year...not holding my breath for a huge warm up in the foreseeable future...

Odd here, we got about an inch and a half in Buffalo AFTER the new PSU grad met on WIVB at the 10PM weather segment said the snow had fallen apart.

Nice little event for sure!

whats your depth up there in Buffalo? Still over 20"?

21" at KBUF as of midnight.

Will a weaker-than-progged cutter low and/or a stronger-than-progged frontal wave contribute to this more northerly track?

Tough to say as far as strength goes.. but if the upper-level trough ends up sharper and the attendant surface low (cutter) slightly further west, the baroclinic axis will be displaced west as well. The strength/location of the frontal wave also depends on how much phasing occurs with the shortwave over the southwest U.S. 

Nice discussion going on the Ohio forums about what was more impressive March 2012 or Feb. 2015. This was my post. Obviously Feb. 2015 was more impressive for Syracuse beating the record by 3 degrees!!

This is a tough one but have to go with March 2012.

March 2012 was the warmest March on record for the Buffalo area.

Average temp in March 2012: 47.4

2nd warmest on record for March: 44.5

Feb 2015 was the coldest month in history for Buffalo going back to 1871 with a mean temp of 10.9

The 2nd coldest month on record was 11.6 in 1934

For a record to be broken by 3+ deg is phenomenal, but this is close as this year brought the coldest month in recorded history.

Archived