• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Upstate NY/North Country and Canadian/VT Borders Mid Feb. 2015 through end of Winter

That looked like PERFECT ski conditions. Packed Powder with an inch or two of fresh stuff on top. Bet ya didn't hit an ice patch the entire weekend! Very nice. Glad it worked out for ya. I know ya had a minute or two of doubt last week when the models were indicating the first rain storm this ENTIRE season. Great piccs bro.

in other news, I see the western shore of Lake Ontario is already starting to show radar returns. A bit earlier than I expected. I hope we can pull the rabbit out of this hat and get some freshies.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That looked like PERFECT ski conditions. Packed Powder with an inch or two of fresh stuff on top. Bet ya didn't hit an ice patch the entire weekend! Very nice. Glad it worked out for ya. I know ya had a minute or two of doubt last week when the models were indicating the first rain storm this ENTIRE season. Great piccs bro.

in other news, I see the western shore of Lake Ontario is already starting to show radar returns. A bit earlier than I expected. I hope we can pull the rabbit out of this hat and get some freshies.

Yeah it was great conditions. Received a few inches throughout the day and evening down there on Fri night-Sat. We got under some heavy snow in the early afternoon. I forgot my snowboard boots at home and was only able to ski though. So I'm definitely going back one more time this year to get my boarding fix.

Yeah it was great conditions. Received a few inches throughout the day and evening down there on Fri night-Sat. We got under some heavy snow in the early afternoon. I forgot my snowboard boots at home and was only able to ski though. So I'm definitely going back one more time this year to get my boarding fix.

Was going to ski today but fell and bruised my knee yesterday so just snowblowed today. Great way to rest a knee. Not. I may go this Friday night locally with my son. Will be his first time off the beginner slope. Will be fun, as long as it's not hideously cold, which it shouldn't be.

Why does KBUF continue to mention LO as being ice covered to an extent?  Does anybody ever see Lake Erie produce prodigious totals with breaks in the ice cover never mind open water, correct, but with the whole West End of the lake WIDE OPEN Ontario won't produce?? I don't understand their forecast as there clearly is a response and a decent one at that!

You can see the Lake light up on the West end and its being driven on 280-295 steady state flow for a while at least.  Like I said, even flake size is better than recent events but as temps continue to drop i'd expect the flakes to continue to decrease in size.  I'd expect some flags if this continues for more than three hours at least for Oswego County.

Just looked at obs out of Hancock and their reporting a temp of 8 and a dp of 8 so i'd say their quite saturated wouldn't you, lol, so moisture at this point is definitely not lacking.

I drove from Brewerton to Utica for work this morning. It was another "Ice Road Truckers" drive until I got past exit 33 on the Thruway then conditions improved. Visibility was under a quarter of a mile in spots between 34 and 34a. They just closed the westbound lanes between those 2 exits because of an accident.

Was checking out the Buffalo climate report, average temperature to this point in February is 11.8 degrees, a departure of -14. As of now, it would be the second coldest February in history, narrowly missing 1934's 11.6. Though given the forecast, I suspect this month will beat it when all is said and done. Impressive stuff.

Conditions generally abysmal in lpool. I'd say 1-3" has fallen today but hard to tell with a lot of BLSN. Flake size is pretty good when the rate picks up but it's on and off with breaks of sun.

Next week shaping up interesting...we lose the ridiculous cold but it could be a snowy week if 12z GFS is right. A long duration overrunning SW event could be shaping up, with several waves of l.p. riding northeast along a thermal boundary. Euro was warmer solution but similar idea. Frankly, given euros performance lately, not all that confident in it but the two models are picking up on the same broadbrushed idea of a SW trough shooting junk out to the east. Too early to worry about details.

Conditions generally abysmal in lpool. I'd say 1-3" has fallen today but hard to tell with a lot of BLSN. Flake size is pretty good when the rate picks up but it's on and off with breaks of sun.

Next week shaping up interesting...we lose the ridiculous cold but it could be a snowy week if 12z GFS is right. A long duration overrunning SW event could be shaping up, with several waves of l.p. riding northeast along a thermal boundary. Euro was warmer solution but similar idea. Frankly, given euros performance lately, not all that confident in it but the two models are picking up on the same broadbrushed idea of a SW trough shooting junk out to the east. Too early to worry about details.

I would give this winter A++ if we can pull off a March'07 repeat!

Looks like a pretty good band is rolling into SW Oswgo cty attm., will be interesting to see what this yields her on the county border. I'd estimate 2-3" IMBY since 8am. Flake size generally on the small size but improving as this new band approaches.p

Edit: just measured, 1.3" today.

I could never live in a place where the cold is like this most of the winter. This is ridiculous.

Watch out or DeltaT13 is gonna be all over you like a cheap suit! ;)

I'll raise my hand though and join the pussbag contingent. I love this weather, days on end of snow and clouds and cold. But the subzero with winds can suck it now that I'm older. This was what I always wanted sucking mud down on the i-95 corridor, where it didn't snow for two decades it seems. Save for winter of 95/96. And it rarely breaks zero there. And the day after a storm it clears out and is sunny. You just don't get the consistent boreal atmosphere down there. We are in a sweet spot up here near the lakes, if you like snow, clouds and cold.

Seen the photos out of Atlantic provinces in Canada? Epic stuff. I remember a winter in the past 10-15 years or so where they had similar. Truly astounding stuff up in New Brunswick, PEI, NF. Would love to spend a winter like this up there.

This month has been like living in Quebec City, temperature wise, I think. How they can stand such consistent cold is beyond me. Avg Feb temp at KSYR is 9.7 F thru yesterday.

Hoping next week is the coup de gras!

Archived