• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Upstate NY/North Country and Canadian/VT Borders Mid Feb. 2015 through end of Winter

And I don't know about you, but with the very cold temps, and little if any melting of the pack, we have been slowly building quite the snow depth....quite canyon-like driving around in the hood....

I'm a bit out in the country part of Clay, so usually snow gets blown into the ditches and we don't amass the huge piles in more residential areas, but even here I've got some decent plow lines alongside the road.  Driving around Bayberry and up in Phoenix recently shocked me.  You got some snow piles!  My depth was 27" this a.m. 

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm a bit out in the country part of Clay, so usually snow gets blown into the ditches and we don't amass the huge piles in more residential areas, but even here I've got some decent plow lines alongside the road.  Driving around Bayberry and up in Phoenix recently shocked me.  You got some snow piles!  My depth was 27" this a.m. 

My back deck (sheltered from the wind) has 25" as of a few minutes ago...there may be a bit of bottom melt (as deck is adjoined to the house) but yeah, the development areas are quite impressive wrt snowbanks!  The Bayberry Plaza parking lot has at least a 20' pile that they somehow like to make people have to look around to see traffic when pulling out onto Blueberry!!

Looks like some sort of meso low action on west end of lake ontario?   Radar returns not matching up with wind direction.  Here on the east end, looks like that 488 dm height is taking its toll on the bands over Oswego County from what I can see of radar returns and conditions outside.  BLSN a bigger issue now than what's falling.

Looks like some sort of meso low action on west end of lake ontario?   Radar returns not matching up with wind direction.  Here on the east end, looks like that 488 dm height is taking its toll on the bands over Oswego County from what I can see of radar returns and conditions outside.  BLSN a bigger issue now than what's falling.

Yeah, what is up with the returns moving SW over Niagara County!? Weird.. Maybe that return over the northwestern part of the lake is in fact some kinda meso or a back door front. The vapor loop also shows some NE to SW motion. hmmmmmm

That image is from today.  Here is a link to the MODIS page where I harvested that image.  They certainly have some great imagery, if only they knew how to interpret and analyze it.

http://ge.ssec.wisc.edu/modis-today/index.php

Perfect, thanks!

Think our storm total was about 3" based on what I cleared out of the driveway today. It's reached the point where I don't even feel like measuring these minor events anymore.

Finally getting some heavier stuff in Irondequoit (north central Monroe Cnty). My concern is that dry air infiltrating from the North east. But the Huron seeds continue. Battle of moisture! Hope moisture wins! I could see anywhere from 1" to 6" tonite. We usually get it when its really, really cold for some reason... Flake size is decent right now. Good structure. ummm, i meant dendrite growth.

Someone posted this the other day...here's an update...o:O

Gotta check this snow depth report from Eastern Maine / New Brunswick tomorrow morning.  They just got swamped with more snow today! 

I question that measurement with the one next to it. A few on the New England forum did as well. Don't think it's nearly that high. Some of the highest official measurements were in the 40-50" range.

Someone posted this the other day...here's an update...o:O

Gotta check this snow depth report from Eastern Maine / New Brunswick tomorrow morning.  They just got swamped with more snow today! 

I'm not sure I'd believe that snow depth. Granted, it's probably still really deep, but even areas up around the Lakes have a hard time getting a depth like that in the dead of winter and they get just as much or more snow. Possible but not likely. Still buts though regardless. Going to be till June until all that snow up there melts off.

I question that measurement with the one next to it. A few on the New England forum did as well. Don't think it's nearly that high. Some of the highest official measurements were in the 40-50" range.

What was your highest depth during that November LES event? I know that had a ridiculous SWE, so compaction was inevitable. 

I'm not sure I'd believe that snow depth. Granted, it's probably still really deep, but even areas up around the Lakes have a hard time getting a depth like that in the dead of winter and they get just as much or more snow. Possible but not likely. Still buts though regardless. Going to be till June until all that snow up there melts off.

What was your highest depth during that November LES event? I know that had a ridiculous SWE, so compaction was inevitable. 

The average in the few spots I dug was 48-52". The highest in the hardest hit area was 59" on Cocarahs I believe from a NWS Met that lived in Elma/East Aurora from round 1. It definitely compacts a lot, especially the Nov event as it was very heavy. The 82.4" that fell over a 5 day period at KBUF in 2001 had a 44" depth at its peak.

I'd agree...it does seem outrageous.  Curious to see what's logged tomorrow.  Compaction surely would take it down significantly.  It does seem out of line.  Of course, I don't know that I believe the 40" snow depths recorded in eastern new england, Mass in particular either.  But, I'm more used to seeing significant compaction/sublimation up here with LES, being lighter liquid equivalent than I-95 gruel, typically.  I've been sitting at 23-27" of snow depth for days, despite snowfall that should have increased it.  A lot of CNY/WNY has about caught up to them though from latest depths I've seen.  

GFS still see no coastal dev. for next week....model consensus has been really poor at days 3-6 this winter!!!  I mean, not just placement of LP's but really quite a lot of "nothings" vs. "somethings"....

yeah, and another mid week kick in the nuts from the arctic seems to be in play next week!  More LES!

Maybe that's the pattern change Teske and the boys are seeing down at WSYR? ;)

I'm just glad no rain for my trip tomorrow to Sunday. This cold is really starting to get to me, going to be hoping for some spring time weather soon. I honestly don't even know what it feels like to be warm. I remember it being a great feeling. Sleeping at night with the window open and a nice humid breeze. I'll be going to Costa Rica for vacation in mid April, so I'll get my warm fix then.

The average in the few spots I dug was 48-52". The highest in the hardest hit area was 59" on Cocarahs I believe from a NWS Met that lived in Elma/East Aurora from round 1. It definitely compacts a lot, especially the Nov event as it was very heavy. The 82.4" that fell over a 5 day period at KBUF in 2001 had a 44" depth at its peak.

Okay. Yeah, that is still real impressive for you and that 2001 period was pretty epic, but only a 44" depth at peak? That's crazy

I'm just glad no rain for my trip tomorrow to Sunday. This cold is really starting to get to me, going to be hoping for some spring time weather soon. I honestly don't even know what it feels like to be warm. I remember it being a great feeling. Sleeping at night with the window open and a nice humid breeze. I'll be going to Costa Rica for vacation in mid April, so I'll get my warm fix then.

I never saw rain. I just couldn't see a pattern shift that substantial with out a huge impetus, ie: big ohio valley low (this one NEVER qualified) or a big break down of western ridge.

Have fun and don't break your leg! Enjoy lovely Ellicottville- jealous....

Okay. Yeah, that is still real impressive for you and that 2001 period was pretty epic, but only a 44" depth at peak? That's crazy

Yeah it was weird. I feel like the higher the depth the more compaction due to the weight of the snow. Getting a 4' snowpack is insanely hard to do even in the great lakes areas. The only places where that happens yearly is a few places on the TugHill and the mountains off of Lake Superior. Maybe on the hilltops of a few hills in Vermont/Maine as well?

At this point I'd settle for a day or two in the 30s but even that looks like it's going to be difficult for a while.

Eastern L Ontario LES drying up while western (whatever it is) keeps raging!  Noticed some evidence of moisture rotating down from QUE/ONT on COD radar loop...we'll see if this can perk things up later this morning, as George/LEK alluded to earlier.  Gonna be hard fighting the PV overhead...

Eastern L Ontario LES drying up while western (whatever it is) keeps raging!  Noticed some evidence of moisture rotating down from QUE/ONT on COD radar loop...we'll see if this can perk things up later this morning, as George/LEK alluded to earlier.  Gonna be hard fighting the PV overhead...

Here in Irondequoit (northercentral Monroe County), the lake is 4 blocks from my house, I hear the waves, - We finally got into that band that was over northern wayne and into Hannibal all day.

I just back from walking the dogs and the visibility was about 1/8mile. Very good flakes! BIG! Which is amazing because it is -2F. I'm watching how that Western side of the lake keeps 'reloading'. Very impressive. I'm sure its due to the moisture feed driving SW from Quebec. Hope it keeps up. I now have 10" for the last 42hrs. Only 5" for the last 24hrs. But an individual in NE Monroe (6miles from me) is demanding he has had 2'. And after seeing the radar consistently have a red spot over him, I'm not sure I can discount it. However, I'd put it at more like 14". Some people measure snow like they measure their junk, they multiply by 2.

Very fun nite on the South Shore of Lake Ontario. The Squalls come, and then wane, and then reload. It seems like maybe this is a western half event at this point. I've had 10" since yesteday. Believe it or not, it actually probably has alot of H2O contend, because it is soo dense. Due to small flake size mostly. But for 0F, the flake size is not bad at all.

Still getting seeded from the North, not sure its from Huron, might just be pinwheels from the last East Coast Norlun Storm.

And its looking like Monroe County Is getting ready for the third micro low in a week to move ashore. Unbelievable. As I said before, we do well when it is really, really cold! Already at 10" plus for the last 42 hrs. Probably get another 2-3" from this weird push of a low or a pinwheel from the eascoast low.

Archived