• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Upstate NY/North Country and Canadian/VT Borders Mid Feb. 2015 through end of Winter

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Someone posted a video on facebook showing some of the Lake ice around Charlotte from a drone. There were some areas that were obviously covered with pretty thick snow-covered ice but the areas that were "open" had a lot of thin, broken ice...that might look dark on a standard satellite image. I don't know if/how that counts in their calculation but it's possible much of the lake looks that way.

Someone posted a video on facebook showing some of the Lake ice around Charlotte from a drone. There were some areas that were obviously covered with pretty thick snow-covered ice but the areas that were "open" had a lot of thin, broken ice...that might look dark on a standard satellite image. I don't know if/how that counts in their calculation but it's possible much of the lake looks that way.

you can actually see the mass of ice moving with an animated visible shot of the Lake!

But didn't KBGM mention the lack there of, or was it Longley, ahh it doesn't matter as this season has everyone spooked, lol.  Don't know whether to pull the trigger or not has happened all too often this season with many many storms to deal with and we're anywhere near done.  

Its snowing like crazy in Clay with easily over 8" for the event as a whole without even an advisory.  I know it doesn't matter to us as we are well informed but it does to a poor soul, thinking WSYR's 2" would verify, instead they wake up to 6", lol, thinking what the heck happened.  KBGM still hasn't budged with any type of advisory even as the band intensifies.   It's mind-boggling to me sometimes!!

It's absolutely embarrassing that no one at NOAA will man up and admit that these numbers are pure bull****.  Lake Ontario is probably about 20 percent ice covered right now....and that is being generous.  What a farce and waste of tax dollars.  I sent them emails last week chastising their lousy analysis and their response was finger pointing and diversion.  

glsea_cur.png

It's absolutely embarrassing that no one at NOAA will man up and admit that these numbers are pure bull****.  Lake Ontario is probably about 20 percent ice covered right now....and that is being generous.  What a farce and waste of tax dollars.  I sent them emails last week chastising their lousy analysis and their response was finger pointing and diversion.

LOL! I saw a clear shot of Ontario yesterday, and there is plenty of open water....I might give them an even more generous 40%, depending on the exact criteria...but really, the map above is way overdone....

More of the same for this winter.  At least it means some snow out here in ENY rather than a cold rain...until future runs squash it far enough to leave things Mostly Cloudy around here...

Yep....stronger HP than progged...partially/mostly due to tigher height field out ahead of the approaching surface wave.

But didn't KBGM mention the lack there of, or was it Longley, ahh it doesn't matter as this season has everyone spooked, lol. Don't know whether to pull the trigger or not has happened all too often this season with many many storms to deal with and we're anywhere near done.

Its snowing like crazy in Clay with easily over 8" for the event as a whole without even an advisory. I know it doesn't matter to us as we are well informed but it does to a poor soul, thinking WSYR's 2" would verify, instead they wake up to 6", lol, thinking what the heck happened. KBGM still hasn't budged with any type of advisory even as the band intensifies. It's mind-boggling to me sometimes!!

Yeah ppl at work were commenting that they thought only an inch or two would happen last night and most woke up to 4-8", pretty much across the board from Thruway & North. Probably even south of there also. No advisory, no warning. Now in reality, who cares? Roads were plowed and people snowblowed/shoveled their places regardless. From a hobbyist standpoint, just curious to see this juxtaposed against advisories issued for relatively weak sauce type events.

Thanks Delta as this seems to be some BIG news as the Bastardi crew over at WeatherBell seems to think the numbers are correct, lol and that too is embarrassing because their all relying on this Data which is clearly incorrect.  

I tried looking it up but coundn't find it as they were saying that Ontario completely froze over in 1934 and I said " I seriously doubt it" as I wasn't completely sure" so does anyone know this for a fact because I don't think it did.

It's absolutely embarrassing that no one at NOAA will man up and admit that these numbers are pure bull****. Lake Ontario is probably about 20 percent ice covered right now....and that is being generous. What a farce and waste of tax dollars. I sent them emails last week chastising their lousy analysis and their response was finger pointing and diversion.

A fully frozen, or "historically" frozen lake would certainly look good on the "Climate change" scrapheap of so-called proof. Not saying this is a motive, but given the other climate data fraud that's been documented, nothing would surprise me.

Not sure what's going on... But visibility is like 200 feet in orchard park right now heavy snow

There's definitely a band coming in off Erie as its quite evident on radar but its wicked thin maybe on the order of a couple miles wide maybe.  That band straddling the South Shore heading for Irondiquot ( definitely spelled it wrong right, lol?) looks quite impressive as well so WNY is getting in on the action with a completely frozen lake to its West and an 82% frozen lake to their NW :axe: , lol, amazing!

Its articles like this that amaze me and the public reads it and believes it but their ignorant to the fact that its nowhere near frozen so the public is ill informed by the media which is usually the case anyway!

http://www.syracuse.com/weather/index.ssf/2015/02/lake_ontario_ice_lake_effect_snow_watertown_cold_february.html

I'll tell you what, between the SN+ and BLSN in Lpool attm, conditions are at least as bad as during last nights "dangerous" squall line.

You can almost feel the sphincter tightening as BGM issues these SWS's:

SPECIAL WEATHER STATEMENT

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BINGHAMTON NY

145 PM EST THU FEB 19 2015

NYZ018-036-192100-

MADISON-ONONDAGA-

145 PM EST THU FEB 19 2015

...LOCALLY HEAVY SNOW SHOWERS OVER ONONDAGA AND MADISON COUNTIES...

SHOW SHOWERS...HEAVY AT TIMES...WILL CONTINUE ACROSS ONONDAGA AND

MADISON COUNTIES...AFFECTING BALDWINSVILLE...SYRACUSE...CHITTENANGO

AND ONEIDA. THE SNOW SHOWERS...IN COMBINATION WITH BLOWING AND

DRIFTING SNOW...WILL CAUSE SHARPLY REDUCED VISIBILITIES ON AREA

ROADWAYS. EXERCISE CAUTION IF YOU WILL BE TRAVELING THIS AFTERNOON.

Not sure what's going on... But visibility is like 200 feet in orchard park right now heavy snow

I'm tellin' ya...yes, nice open water is undoubtedly 5-10 fold more of an important LES component than frictional convergence.....BUT, frictional convergence (Erie and Ontario's long narrow shape...is almost perfect as such)is a very important factor...especially when there is enough ambient moisture in place, AND all other parameters in the profile are decent....

That image is from today.  Here is a link to the MODIS page where I harvested that image.  They certainly have some great imagery, if only they knew how to interpret and analyze it.

http://ge.ssec.wisc.edu/modis-today/index.php

That's exactly the imagery I'm looking for - where do you find it? I assume that is today (based on the lake effect streamers)

Archived