• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Upstate NY/North Country and Canadian/VT Borders Mid Feb. 2015 through end of Winter

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can anyone answer me this....if there are concurrent advisories, warnings or watches in the same county...which one's supersede the others....if any?  The other day, BUF issued LES advisories while there was a wind chill watch in effect, but we say the advisories on their home page map....yet today, we have windchill warnings up, yet we can't "see" the LES advisories.

Thanks.

You can see some echoes moving slowly SW'ward out of S. Quebec/Ontario...some of the models have indicated these make it down over L. Ontario later tonight....if that happens, this will add addition seeding to the bands...I've seen it before (back in Jan. '04) where the LES bands (in a similar arctic type airmass) responded very well to these little pockets of moisture/precip....it'll be interesting to see if we get such an enhancement later tonight....again loop the link below....

http://weather.gc.ca/radar/index_e.html?id=XFT

Can anyone answer me this....if there are concurrent advisories, warnings or watches in the same county...which one's supersede the others....if any?  The other day, BUF issued LES advisories while there was a wind chill watch in effect, but we say the advisories on their home page map....yet today, we have windchill warnings up, yet we can't "see" the LES advisories.

Thanks.

Im just guessing here but I would think which ever flag posses the most disruptive or dangerous situations/outcomes at a given time.  Like when you saw the advisory that was current and in the moment issue. Where are the wind chill watch while potentially serious was further out in time and not a current issue.

Thanks.

Warnings always supercede advisories so that's what you see on the main page. If you click on the appropriate county you will see the LES ads as well.

http://forecast.weather.gov/wwamap/wwatxtget.php?cwa=buf&wwa=lake%20effect%20snow%20advisory

I talked about frictional convergence before.....nice example of that off the NE part of L. Ontario right now....small band originating over a (most certainly) frozen part of L. Ontario, yet a band has formed just north of ART....this also goes to my point that some additional llv moisture is getting thrown back from the departing storm, which is seeding/helping to generate/enhance that band, and would certainly aid the bands further southward if they make it here!!

I think over the next 4-6 hours the E. end of Ontario will gush with snow...if you loop the IR sat. you can see enhanced mid level clouds working down from the NE...I bet they "super charge" the current activity...

Interesting. We are not accumulating like you would think, given the low visibility, although some of that is BLSN. Dendrite size could be better overall. When it gets to a heavier rate, bigger flakes show up, otherwise medium to smaller flake sizes. I just measured 2-3" in my spot but I'm not sure that's accurate. Seems low, but that's what I have...

Interesting. We are not accumulating like you would think, given the low visibility, although some of that is BLSN. Dendrite size could be better overall. When it gets to a heavier rate, bigger flakes show up, otherwise medium to smaller flake sizes. I just measured 2-3" in my spot but I'm not sure that's accurate. Seems low, but that's what I have...

These windy events significantly compact and settle the already poor quality snow. Its tough to judge them on accumulation.

From NWS BGM:

SYRACUSE TIED THE DAILY RECORD TODAY FOR COLDEST HIGH TEMPERATURE
RECORD 11 IN 1916 AND NOW 2015

BINGHAMTON BROKE THE DAILY RECORD TODAY FOR COLDEST HIGH TEMPERATURE
MAX TEMP 10 OLD RECORD 13 IN 1993

--------------------

Looking snowy and damn cold for the next week.  No real sign of a "pattern change" thru 240 hours as near as I can tell.  We'll see how far out to lunch 12Z ECMWF is for mid next week.  It spins up a major cyclone into SNE, GFS and GGEM say: what storm?  

This weekend looking snowy but nothing exceptional, with more LES to follow the Saturday system.  

Just passed 100" last night IMBY...103" now for season as of this morning.

From NWS BGM:

SYRACUSE TIED THE DAILY RECORD TODAY FOR COLDEST HIGH TEMPERATURE

RECORD 11 IN 1916 AND NOW 2015

BINGHAMTON BROKE THE DAILY RECORD TODAY FOR COLDEST HIGH TEMPERATURE

MAX TEMP 10 OLD RECORD 13 IN 1993

--------------------

Looking snowy and damn cold for the next week.  No real sign of a "pattern change" thru 240 hours as near as I can tell.  We'll see how far out to lunch 12Z ECMWF is for mid next week.  It spins up a major cyclone into SNE, GFS and GGEM say: what storm?  

This weekend looking snowy but nothing exceptional, with more LES to follow the Saturday system.  

Just passed 100" last night IMBY...103" now for season as of this morning.

And I don't know about you, but with the very cold temps, and little if any melting of the pack, we have been slowly building quite the snow depth....quite canyon-like driving around in the hood....

I hate to beat a dead horse but this is from NWS evening AFD:

9 PM UPDATE...
FORECAST ON TRACK. NARROW LAKE EFFECT SNOW BANDS IN THE SYR AND
RME AREAS. INTENSITY IS WEAKENING AND AREA IS SHIFTING SOUTH.
WINDS OF 10 TO 20 MPH WITH GUSTS TO 30 CAUSING BLOWING AND
DRIFTING SNOW. ASOS HAS ONLY TRACE AMOUNTS OF LIQUID.

I'm not seeing LES bands bodily shifting south.  Does anyone else?  I mean, individual streamers are developing and redeveloping over Oswego County and moving south but one would get the impression that LES is dying off and moving S of SYR.  Drier air may kill this off eventually but I'm not getting this statement.  As far as ASOS...is it possible that wind is skewing automatic precip recording?  I don't have more than 2-3" of snow but I'm pretty damn sure if i go out and melt it down from my snow gauge, its going to be well more than a Trace of liquid...

Archived