• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Upstate NY/North Country and Canadian/VT Borders Mid Feb. 2015 through end of Winter

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That is a funny article because they interview the same guy I've been heckling all week about the ice cover anomalies.  I don't think ol' Georgie boy has any clue what he is talking about. 

Its articles like this that amaze me and the public reads it and believes it but their ignorant to the fact that its nowhere near frozen so the public is ill informed by the media which is usually the case anyway!

http://www.syracuse.com/weather/index.ssf/2015/02/lake_ontario_ice_lake_effect_snow_watertown_cold_february.html

From that article...Less Lake Effect? Compared to what? Equivalent October lake conditions? I suppose if you pretty much ignore the lake effect, it doesn't really happen. Thruway & North prob will end up with a foot of "less lake effect" with no flags ever hoisted. #Stealthy

Beautiful "80%" covered lake. 

post-595-0-94100000-1424379510_thumb.jpg

Oswego briefly dropped down to a 1/4 mile earlier this afternoon. Now sitting at 1/2 mile alternating between light/moderate snow and sunshine. Looks like things will pick up a little more during the later afternoon but we'll see where. 

BUF beats BGM this round. 

Hell yes. Its ripping. Flags straight out also...

In fact my boss just left. Why am I still here?

What about snowfall rates....1"/hr. type stuff??? Down at SU, it will snow HARD for 5 minutes then sun out, then pixie dust, then rip with decent flake size....all in all a couple additional inches here today...and of course the wind is ripping on the hill...."dumpster cover flapping" type ripping!! ;)

What about snowfall rates....1"/hr. type stuff??? Down at SU, it will snow HARD for 5 minutes then sun out, then pixie dust, then rip with decent flake size....all in all a couple additional inches here today...and of course the wind is ripping on the hill...."dumpster cover flapping" type ripping!! ;)

rate has been impressive for a while now must be 1"+/hr...sun hasn't been peeking out at all here. vis has been <1/8th for a while now. I'm not far from LockMart/GE, as a point of ref.

Well...lol...they did...I didn't see it....I hate that the Wind Chill Warning "colors" take precedent over any other advisories....

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BINGHAMTON NY

333 PM EST THU FEB 19 2015

NYZ018-036-201500-

/O.NEW.KBGM.LE.Y.0005.150219T2033Z-150220T0900Z/

/O.CON.KBGM.WC.W.0004.150220T0000Z-150220T1500Z/

/O.CON.KBGM.WC.Y.0006.000000T0000Z-150220T0000Z/

ONONDAGA-MADISON-

INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...SYRACUSE...ONEIDA

333 PM EST THU FEB 19 2015

...LAKE EFFECT SNOW ADVISORY IN EFFECT UNTIL 4 AM EST FRIDAY...

...WIND CHILL ADVISORY REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 7 PM EST THIS

EVENING...

...WIND CHILL WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM 7 PM THIS EVENING TO

10 AM EST FRIDAY...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN BINGHAMTON HAS ISSUED A LAKE

EFFECT SNOW ADVISORY...WHICH IS IN EFFECT UNTIL 4 AM EST FRIDAY.

* LOCATIONS...MADISON AND ONONDAGA COUNTY NEW YORK.

* HAZARDS...BITTERLY COLD TEMPERATURES AND WIND CHILLS. HEAVY LAKE

EFFECT SNOW.

* WIND CHILL READINGS...WIND CHILL READINGS PLUNGING TO 25 TO 30

BELOW ZERO TONIGHT.

* ACCUMULATIONS...LAKE EFFECT SNOW WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MIDNIGHT

BEFORE GRADUALLY DIMINISHING. TOTAL ACCUMULATIONS OF 4 TO 6

INCHES EXPECTED AROUND THE SYRACUSE AREA AND NORTHERN MADISON

COUNTY, MAINLY NORTH OF THE THRUWAY.

* WINDS...WEST 15 TO 20 MPH WITH GUSTS UP TO 35 MPH.

* TEMPERATURES...SINGLE DIGITS DROPPING TO BELOW ZERO BY MORNING.

* IMPACTS...DANGEROUSLY COLD WIND CHILLS COULD RESULT IN FROSTBITE

ON EXPOSED SKIN, OR EVEN HYPOTHERMIA. STRONG WINDS WILL RESULT

IN SIGNIFICANT BLOWING AND DRIFTING SNOW AND RESULT IN HAZARDOUS

TRAVEL TONIGHT.

Oswego getting into the bands more and more now. Visibility is a constant 1/4-3/4 of a mile. The winds of 25-30 mph are probably more of the reason for that than anything but I'm glad to see it happen today. Our local forecast game was for our tower so it's nice to see I verified well for visibility today and last night! 

Even Rochester is back in the game. The transient bands keep swinging through dropping the visibility to below a half mile at times. Nothing is really accumulating but it's stormy none the less.

Current radars indicate that the Huron seeding has begun (as per LEK) as bands on the west end of the lake are bulking up now.

Archived