• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Upstate NY/North Country and Canadian/VT Borders Mid Feb. 2015 through end of Winter

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

KBGMs AFD needs to incorporate some radar trend observation...if the best ascent is moving in from 00z-06z per models, and looking at what's fallen already...I'd say a lot of their northern areas are going to reach Warning criteria. Not that it's worth throwing up warnings at this point but it appears several hours of 1+"/hr snow is in the offing, not some brief period of steady snow.

IDK, it snowing nicely now and looks like it will be for several more hrs so who knows but I gotta be approaching 5" already since it began so I'll definitely hit warning criteria but like you said, at this point does it matter?

These are some of the best sustained dendrites of the season, without question. There's no doubt we hit Warning criteria with this one. My suspision is everyone was sucked in by that qpf min over the finger lakes. QPF fields are the most notoriously unreliable on NWP but we all look at them cuz they're seductive.

look at the big flick on radar, there's a big hole of precip from say, Cortland-Elmira south over a lot of PA. Heavier precip on the north and south sides. This wasn't all that well represented on NWP from what I recall, other than the NAM yday, which was showing a heavier qpf/snow max along I90 from say ROC to ALB. Although NAM backed off this this morning, it appears it had the right idea picking up on this. You're gonna end up with 6-10" on the northern edge of the system it appears.

Just saw WSYR's blog again. New forecaster, same theme...mention warmer at all costs. Today's effort is stronger though, insisting on a pattern change coming that will favor normal to perhaps above normal temps at least on a temporary basis. I haven't looked at 12z NWP in detail but for a quick scan...but I just don't see it. If you still have a PNA pattern in the means, including ensembles, how is this indicative of a warmer pattern? About the best I can say is the PV is shown not as strong or southward in the mean. Run to run, the western ridge is shown centered slightly more offshore west, or east over the far western plains, but still troughing over the east and northeast CONUS. This is borderline ineptitude and clearly an agenda being pushed. Granted, they'll be right if they keep saying this long enough, broken clock method.

Nothing for nothing but this could of been a low end warning for 6 to 10. Most people do try and do their best with what ever comes their way. Getting deep out there. Some concern for a Hudson Valley Runner these next two weeks.

Agree, and to be fair, this was a typical advisory to southern tier and a high end advisory or low end warning for KBGM's northern counties and KBUF'S eastern Lake Ontario counties.. NWP hinted at this but tough to fine tune too much. I haven't done a liquid equivalent but Its a fluffy snow so ratio of 15 or 20:1 will probably verify. What helped us was apparently a solid DGZ in the WAA, as evidenced by large sized dendrites for most of this event. We're about wrapped up it appears based on radar, maybe another inch if we get some more backfilling soon.

Overall a pretty solid little storm around here. Now we get to see what the lake can offer later tomorrow. It is pretty deep. I had 27" depth this morning.

Just saw WSYR's blog again. New forecaster, same theme...mention warmer at all costs. Today's effort is stronger though, insisting on a pattern change coming that will favor normal to perhaps above normal temps at least on a temporary basis. I haven't looked at 12z NWP in detail but for a quick scan...but I just don't see it. If you still have a PNA pattern in the means, including ensembles, how is this indicative of a warmer pattern? About the best I can say is the PV is shown not as strong or southward in the mean. Run to run, the western ridge is shown centered slightly more offshore west, or east over the far western plains, but still troughing over the east and northeast CONUS. This is borderline ineptitude and clearly an agenda being pushed. Granted, they'll be right if they keep saying this long enough, broken clock method.

That "so called" pattern change keeps getting pushed back by each model run, i'll believe it when i see it.. :rolleyes:

That "so called" pattern change keeps getting pushed back by each model run, i'll believe it when i see it.. :rolleyes:

What pattern change are people expecting?  Its the end of February, lol, and I believe March marks the beginning of Spring (if one actually exists this year) so if people are still looking for a pattern change, it'll come when we go from Winter to Spring, lol.

Agree, and to be fair, this was a typical advisory to southern tier and a high end advisory or low end warning for KBGM's northern counties and KBUF'S eastern Lake Ontario counties.. NWP hinted at this but tough to fine tune too much. I haven't done a liquid equivalent but Its a fluffy snow so ratio of 15 or 20:1 will probably verify. What helped us was apparently a solid DGZ in the WAA, as evidenced by large sized dendrites for most of this event. We're about wrapped up it appears based on radar, maybe another inch if we get some more backfilling soon.

Overall a pretty solid little storm around here. Now we get to see what the lake can offer later tomorrow. It is pretty deep. I had 27" depth this morning.

Spot on! My worry(or not!)  is a juicy bomb up the coast with 2 to 3" liquid equivalent. Part of me wishes it and part of me doesn't. Last 4 weeks have been premo snowmobiling but I will get water in the house soon with damming. Going up on the roof again tomorrow. Could be delays with school again on Monday.

This last batch should do it for the steadier of the snow before scattered snow showers enter the picture and before the Lake opens fire ( according to KBGM it won't) on the counties bordering the SE corner and North this time as the winds look as bit more westerly as opposed to the Northerly component of late, but we shall see what we shall see!

I don't think their going to be quite that high as there was a period where the snow came down as graupel, at least where I am, and CNY WX also said the snow looked icy in one of his posts so the ratios might be a little surprising meaning lower than one would think with such low temps in the upper teens!!

I don't think their going to be quite that high as there was a period where the snow came down as graupel, at least where I am, and CNY WX also said the snow looked icy in one of his posts so the ratios might be a little surprising meaning lower than one would think with such low temps in the upper teens!!

Just measured 7.5" at 8pm.

Looks like some backfilling is occurring so who knows, maybe another 1-2" is possible. I'd guess about 1/2"/hr rate attm.

StormTotalSnowFcst.png

KBUF didn't do any better than KBGM unless they changed their original map because I do remember one that had higher totals but I cant remember. Either way if this was, in fact their forecasted amounts, then they both busted horribly!

I said nothing about the finger Lakes as they were always progged to receive quite a bit less than us up here! Our forecast was for 2-4" and I got 8+ so for my area it was a colossal bust as was the last event! It doesn't even matter at this point.

Archived