• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
Upstate NY/North Country and Canadian/VT Borders Mid Feb. 2015 through end of Winter

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looking at the water vapor loop, I see no reason why this LES can't fire up again in the overnite. The KingCity Radar has dried up a bit, but again, the water vapor loop actually shows robust moisture. Now I don't know if its in the right level for good growth but it does show some promise. I'm content with my 4" even if it ends now- but will watch and hope for more overnite and thru friday!

Man, the atmosphere dried up quick! Maybe Binghampton wins this one. And I don't see any signs of seeding from the north. Our best hope is that LES is ongoing in SE Michigan, suggesting that maybe tomorrow parameters will be better? And our storm for the weekend seems to have vanished. At least the threat of rain is gone. But, dang, this might be the high point of My winter snow. Which is ok. I have a solid 24" in the yard. Drifts to 3'.

I expect a lull.

6.3" overnight...0.38" liquid equiv.  Currently moderate snow in l'pool as the band slides north a bit.

Drove into work (SU) and had a pretty narrow S+ band in downtown...flake size was very good!! Let's see what L. Ontario can put out later this afternoon as the flow backs a bit and some synoptic moisture backs in a bit....

hey, I've seen the king respond well into the wee hrs. Regarding your ski trip, I stick with my original thoughts, It would be a major storm track shift for it to torch. And a 'major' change isn't advertised. Just nuanced changes in the 850. Hell, Boston could still find a way to squeek this one out. I'm not impressed by the qpf or the storm itself. Might end up being perfect! 2-6" of snow and temps approaching the low 30's. Perfect for packed powder skiing. Not to mention the ellicottville brewery. Hey, You got an extra bed? LOL.

I'm gonna check the toronto radar to see if its seeding any of the upstream. Like you said, the dynamics are drying up bad- as advdertised by the NWS BUF. But as local mets have also noted, the atmo gets better primed thursday afternoon thru Fri am. Looking forward to that. Not entirely sold on it dropping off tonite, as the 'pump has been primed'. At least the west end of the Lake.

When you have a new girlfriend...late night postings will be spotty!! ;)

Not to nitpick, but I will...Below is a snip from KBGM AFD...how are locations downwind of Cayuga lake going to get accums on WNW Flow.  Am I missing something or did geography change overnight?

WIDESPREAD LIGHT SNOW CONTINUES ACROSS MOST OF
CENTRAL NEW YORK AND THE NORTHERN TIER OF PA. WHILE GENERALLY LIGHT,
A FRESH DUSTING TO A FEW INCHES OF SNOW IS POSSIBLE IN THE MORE
PERSISTENT SNOWS THROUGH MID MORNING. LOCALLY HIGHER AMOUNTS ARE
POSSIBLE NEAR THE FINGER LAKES, ESPECIALLY DOWNWIND OF CAYUGA
LAKE.
BEYOND MID MORNING, OUR DEPTH OF MOISTURE REALLY DROPS OFF
AS HIGH PRESSURE RIDGES INTO THE AREA FROM THE SOUTHWEST. WHILE WE
ARE PLENTY COLD ENOUGH ON A WEST-NORTHWEST FLOW, THE COMBINATION
OF DRIER AIR AND OUR BEST SNOW GROWTH DOWN NEAR THE SURFACE (DUE
TO SUCH COLD AIR IN PLACE) WILL PUT A REAL DAMPER ON APPRECIABLE
SNOWS BY THIS AFTERNOON.

LES is still trying to flare up in some multibands, one from roughly Sodus to Lafayette, with another trying to develop over by far NW Oswego county through Fulton. 

Still just cloudy on the east side of campus at this point, but clouds are certainly darker to the east. We'll see if we can actually get any single band development later today as winds back a little more to the west. Personally I'll probably be just a little too far to the east to get more than an inch or two, but it will be interesting to see what happens with so much ice cover. Our tower on the very far west part of campus just dropped to 1.5 SM visibility, which means at the very least some light snow is falling in NW Oswego county. 

Correct me if i'm wrong but looks like Euro and GFS (GGEM?) have all said adios to the blowtorch mix/rain scenario for the weekend. In fact, a sub advisory event is now indicated.  Turns out there looks like there will be enough high pressure in front of and to the north of the system to effectively pancake storm development, with no blocking.

Side note: saw Teske's forecast/blog on WSYR9...he may want to revisit some of it. Namely, looks like it isn't going to rain this weekend and exactly what signs of warmth is he looking at? Other than perhaps the calendar turns to March fairly soon.  GFS out to 384 never even scares CNY with the h850/0C line although the PV eventually slackens, as it does every year.  At some point this pattern is going to breakdown and it'll eventually it will be June & July again. Just not seeing consistent enough signs of it on NWP to start crowing about it yet.

It'll be difficult to get a single band going this afternoon, even with a more westerly wind component....shallow nature of the LES, daytime land instability, and pretty high BL winds over sketchy open waters (ie lots of ice)...that said...I bet this evening/tonight, at least for a few hours, we get a solid single band going ESE of L. Ontario...

Late this afternoon/evening is when I think CNY's chances of getting a "nice" LES band going...Still think there will be areas that get over a foot of new snow....N. Onondaga/S. Oswego Cos.

I'm at 10.5" as of 12:30 so a foot shouldn't be a problem as the band seems to be amping up a bit as the wind back ever so slightly!  This evening and tonight should be interesting!

Anyone see this?  Lake Ontario is 82% frozen?  ~3% from the record in 1979.

http://www.syracuse.com/weather/index.ssf/2015/02/lake_ontario_ice_lake_effect_snow_watertown_cold_february.html

Interesting, the visible sat loops I've seen today don't suggest anything near 80% ice cover. Where can you get the really hi res pics? I've been looking at the 1 km loops on the COD site.

Correct me if i'm wrong but looks like Euro and GFS (GGEM?) have all said adios to the blowtorch mix/rain scenario for the weekend. In fact, a sub advisory event is now indicated.  Turns out there looks like there will be enough high pressure in front of and to the north of the system to effectively pancake storm development, with no blocking.

Side note: saw Teske's forecast/blog on WSYR9...he may want to revisit some of it. Namely, looks like it isn't going to rain this weekend and exactly what signs of warmth is he looking at? Other than perhaps the calendar turns to March fairly soon.  GFS out to 384 never even scares CNY with the h850/0C line although the PV eventually slackens, as it does every year.  At some point this pattern is going to breakdown and it'll eventually it will be June & July again. Just not seeing consistent enough signs of it on NWP to start crowing about it yet.

Dave Longley at noon finally lowered the forecast highs for Sunday from 38 to 34. I wouldn't be surprised if we don't break freezing. Last night Dave Eichorn was announcing how there are record highs in Alaska and Siberia and that there was going to be a big pattern change in 10 days. I don't know if they feel that the general public wants to hear that this winter is going to end but they really seem to be going out of their way to emphasize any glimmer of a warm up.

Is there a criteria for ice cover?  I mean, does it have to be a certain thickness and whatnot for it to actually be called ice cover?  I'm sure there are certain areas of LO covered by a thin sheet of ice, would that be considered ice cover?  Just wondering if anybody knows a quick answer cause I don't feel like doing any research for the answer, lol.

Archived