• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Upstate NY/North Country and Canadian/VT Borders Mid Feb. 2015 through end of Winter

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This upcoming LES event is really hard to fcst. I'm not super hopeful. But the parameters are in place. I do agree that the cold and snow growth limits can impact this event. I'm getting tired of events that LOOK like blizzards if you look out the window, but end up only accumulating a couple or few inches due to tiny snowflake size. I've had at least 3 events recently that are like that. With some unexpected snowflake growth, we could do better than expected along the South Shore. Everything else seems to line up. But I don't understand heights the way I wish I did.

0z GFS is ugly for the weekend storm. Low deepens below 1000 mb and cuts up through northwest PA and CNY. Needless to say, we all torch during the height of the storm.

I really hope that doesn't happen. My ski trip is this weekend. The GEFS were much more suppressed at 18z. Really hope a met can chime in as it would change my plans quite a bit this weekend. So far only the operational GFS is this amped.

Buffalo Weather, I'd be amazed if this weekends storm turns into a rain storm for your Ski Trip. Just would be a complete change in a very consistent weather pattern. Which is NOT advertised by the overall shceme of things. At least not for the next 2-3 weeks. I went on a Bachelors party to Ellicotville last winter. What a great town! I hope you have opportunity to get to the brewery bar. Get the 30 dollar burger. It is worth it.

Bostonian's better start praying the Euro doesn't come to fruition as they'll need boats then Ice skates cause all of SNE gets close to 1" qpf and were still 4 days away from any event, if there is one, which mostly falls as liquid but I'd imagine their depth would take quite a bit more than 1" of liquid even if there's an uptick in the precip outputs to have any hydro problems, at least not initially, as temps plummet once again as the system passes off to their N&E. For us it looks like snow to start then a mix bag then back to snow as you all know the routine but I think as we come closer hopefully that HP to our North can nudge this front a bit further to our S&E so we can all have some fun! 

The LES event looks like a go from my vantage point but I don't think it will be anywhere near what was once thought but even a foot as KBUF is suggesting will be a fun time.  I do think its going to be more of a multi-banded event as opposed to the single band event.  A 290 flow (WNW) is just a tough flow to sustain for some strange reason but it looks as though it'll be more of a 300-310 flow so Syracuse Liverpool and the hills S&E of Syracuse can get walloped.  Thinking Feyettville, Manlius and Caz stand the best chances of seeing some significant accumulations as there should be orographic lift to enhance whatever is falling out that way.  Nowhere near as confident as I once was for my area but I'll be happy with whatever falls tomorrow afternoon through the night with the synoptic system itself.  Wherever that front stalls it can get quite interesting tomorrow afternoon as some of the Mesoscale models are suggesting.  

So another fun day on tap for the area as we go through some intense atmospheric changes.  

I always think of Syracuse as 290-300. And the South Lake Ontario Counties as 305 plus. I'm starting to think this might be a Niagara and Orleans special. AS they have very little ice north of them. And this is advertised as a 'once in a generation' upper level cold. But, with micro lows etc. we could see some fun In Monroe too. It might be a scenario where Wayne gets skipped.

I'm starting to really like the look of tomorrows SW dropping down from the Polar regions which obviously opens the doors to some of the coldest air of the season and I know we've heard this already too many times but its reality, lol.  But as it rounds the bend it initiates a SLP somewhere around BGM and slowly drifts off to the N&E while the H7 it shows some impressive Omega values throughout the period listed.  

The whole system then transfers its energy to the coast eventually but not before leaving behind, what I think, will be a general 3-5" snowfall area wide with lollipops of 6-8" in areas with the most persistent light to at times moderate snow which lasts from roughly 3pm tomorrow through around 7am Thursday then the LE ensues on whatever flow it desires at the time, lol.  I say this cause I like the development of the H7 lp as it heads off to our N&E.  

The GFS shows some nice Omega roughly through the time-frame I laid out and I like the way the GFS handle's Northern stream systems, at least this year, lol.  Anyway, check out the H7 prog:

gfs_namer_021_700_rh_ht.gif

gfs_namer_024_700_rh_ht.gif

gfs_namer_027_700_rh_ht.gif

gfs_namer_030_700_rh_ht.gif

The Nam, while not as robust, shows the same general track of the SLP with Omega values lower than that of the GFS.  So we'll see as we get closer but that's what I see and it really depends where that CF stalls out which should enhance snowfall rates but there should be a general snowfall area wide either way.

They went with advisories which means nothing, lol.

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BUFFALO NY
337 AM EST WED FEB 18 2015

NYZ004>006-181645-
/O.UPG.KBUF.LE.A.0005.150219T0000Z-150220T1800Z/
/O.NEW.KBUF.LE.Y.0013.150219T0300Z-150220T1800Z/
/O.CON.KBUF.WC.W.0004.150219T0500Z-150220T1500Z/
WAYNE-NORTHERN CAYUGA-OSWEGO-
INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...NEWARK...FAIR HAVEN...OSWEGO
337 AM EST WED FEB 18 2015

...LAKE EFFECT SNOW ADVISORY IN EFFECT FROM 10 PM THIS EVENING TO
1 PM EST FRIDAY...
...WIND CHILL WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM MIDNIGHT TONIGHT TO
10 AM EST FRIDAY...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN BUFFALO HAS ISSUED A LAKE EFFECT
SNOW ADVISORY...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM 10 PM THIS EVENING TO
1 PM EST FRIDAY. THIS REPLACES THE LAKE EFFECT SNOW WATCH.

* LOCATIONS...WAYNE...OSWEGO AND NORTHERN CAYUGA COUNTIES.

* TIMING...THE LAKE EFFECT SNOW ADVISORY IS IN EFFECT FROM LATE
THIS EVENING THROUGH EARLY FRIDAY AFTERNOON. THE WIND CHILL
WARNING IS IN EFFECT FROM MIDNIGHT TONIGHT THROUGH LATE FRIDAY
MORNING.

* ACCUMULATIONS...STORM TOTALS OF 6 TO 11 INCHES IN THE MOST
PERSISTENT LAKE SNOWS. 2 TO 4 INCHES OVERNIGHT...2 TO 4 INCHES
THURSDAY...1 TO 3 INCHES THURSDAY NIGHT...AND AN INCH OR LESS
FRIDAY.

* WINDS...WEST 15 TO 25 MPH.

* VISIBILITIES...UNDER A QUARTER MILE AT TIMES.

* WIND CHILL VALUES...10 TO 15 BELOW ZERO LATE TONIGHT...15 TO 20
BELOW THURSDAY AND AS LOW AS 30 BELOW THURSDAY NIGHT.

* IMPACTS...HAZARDOUS TRAVEL CONDITIONS WITH SNOW COVERED AND
SLIPPERY ROADS AND REDUCED VISIBILITIES. DANGEROUS COLD AND
POTENTIALLY LIFE THREATENING WIND CHILLS WILL BE POSSIBLE BY
THURSDAY NIGHT. THIS COULD LEAD TO FROSTBITE AND HYPOTHERMIA
IF YOU ARE NOT DRESSED PROPERLY.

I'll take it as it'll just add to the tremendous totals that already exist!

From their discussion they really have no clue how this LES event is going to unfold!

LAKE SNOWS...THIS LOOKS TO BE A RATHER COMPLICATED EVENT FROM MANY
ASPECTS. THE BEST LAKE PARAMETERS CONTINUE TO RESIDE OVER LAKE
ONTARIO. AS STATED ABOVE BEHIND THE ARCTIC FRONT SOME INCREDIBLY
COLD AIR WILL COME DOWN ACROSS THE LAKES. THIS WILL CREATE SOME VERY
IMPRESSIVE OVER-LAKE INSTABILITY WITH LAKE SURFACE TO 700 MB DELTA T
VALUES NEAR 35C WITH LAKE INDUCED CAPES TO NEAR 1000 J/KG. LAKE
EQUILIBRIUM LEVELS WILL RISE TO NEAR 15K FEET WITH DEEP LAYER STRONG
VERTICAL MOTION REACHING TO 700 MB. THIS CERTAINLY RAISES THE
POTENTIAL FOR GETTING SOME LAKE EFFECT THUNDERSNOW AND INTENSE
SNOWFALL RATES IN EXCESS OF 2 INCHES PER HOUR. HOWEVER...LIMITING
FACTORS WILL BE A VERY LOW OR NON-EXISTENT DENDRITIC GROWTH ZONE
GIVEN EXTREME COLD AND DRY AIR AND INCREASING LAKE ONTARIO ICE
COVERAGE. IT MIGHT BE DIFFICULT TO GET A SINGLE INTENSE LAKE
BAND...UNLESS PRECONDITIONING FROM UPSTREAM LAKES OCCURS AND FLOW
BACKS ENOUGH TO GAIN LONGER FETCH AND INCREASING CONVERGENCE. IF
THIS DOES NOT OCCUR AND A MULTIBAND STRUCTURE FORMS...SNOWFALL
AMOUNTS WILL BE LESS.
AT THIS POINT...WE WILL KEEP AMOUNTS ON THE
CONSERVATIVE SIDE WITH ADDITIONAL AMOUNTS THURSDAY THROUGH THURSDAY
NIGHT FROM 4 TO 6 INCHES ALONG THE SOUTHEAST PORTION OF LAKE ONTARIO
FROM EAST OF ROCHESTER TO SOUTHERN OSWEGO COUNTY. A WESTWARD
EXTENSION TO ACCUMULATIONS WILL ALSO BE LIKELY WITH LOCAL AMOUNTS OF
3 TO 5 INCHES POSSIBLE ALONG THE REMAINDER OF THE SOUTHERN
LAKESHORE. A FROZEN LAKE ERIE WILL LIMIT AMOUNTS ACROSS THE WESTERN
SOUTHERN TIER....HOWEVER A FAVORABLE UPSLOPE COMPONENT AND
CONVERGENCE WILL LIKELY ENHANCE AMOUNTS WITH ADDITIONAL LOCAL
ACCUMULATIONS OF 3 TO 5 INCHES ...ESPECIALLY ALONG THE CHAUTAUQUA
RIDGE THURSDAY THROUGH THURSDAY NIGHT.

1-2' for some lucky FEW by Friday afternoon (today's synoptic burst, followed by a delayed LES response..but a decent one!)...The band will be narrow, but intense. Area still looks like S. Oswego Co./N.Onondaga Co. and back toward the lake (clipping extreme N. Cayuga Co.)

BUF is indecisive, but need not be. BGM will play catch up. Flake size will be decent for a good portion of the event (esp. Thurs. late morning into the evening).

Archived