• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Upstate NY/North Country and Canadian/VT Borders Mid Feb. 2015 through end of Winter

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Flew over Lake Erie yesterday evening. Quite a bit of open water in the western basin and just offshore from about Mentor to the N and W. A lot of cracks and visible slush in the western third. Fog was noticeable and thick along the south shore.

Walked thru a field in Pittsford NY today, just South East of Rochester by about 7 miles. And the snow is still 12" plus. Unbelievable winter we have been having! And the Rochester official stats are really not representative of what is on the ground, or what has fallen thruout the season. I hope the NWS takes a serious review of the situation. In all honesty, there was still 12" on the ground. I'm not sure what the official Rochester number was today- but I distrust it. Should of taken a pic. It is melting super slow.

The ROC Climate Summary for today went up at 0305, and shows a snow depth of 0, down from 8 inches on Saturday morning and 15 a week ago.

Maybe that's a data entry error, although it has been over freezing there for the last 40+ hours with high dewpoints and a good wind, all of which mean rapid pack death. And pack loss isn't linear - when there's a lot of >32F water soaked up in a snowpack, the rate of loss increases considerably.

I tend to agree that something is fishy with the ROC obs, even accounting for large differences between close by locations in LES events. ROC always seems to measure consistently lower than you would expect.

But in the big picture, there is way more variation between Golden Snowball cities that is the result of the basically arbitrary location of the reporting stations. KBUF (airport) is probably in around the 30th percentile in the Buffalo Metro in terms of annual snowfall. Syracuse is a bit better located and seems more representative of the area, same with Erie. Like with Buffalo, there are parts of greater Rochester that get a lot more snow than the airport. And Cleveland, of course, isn't in the running although eastern areas of the Cleveland Metro get a lot of snow.

All of this goes to show why the Golden Snowball is a joke. But I also wonder if the basic arbitrariness of the observation locations, and the fact that "macro" siting issues may be seen to account for far more variation than "micro" issues, makes them less inclined to look into Rochester obs in great detail.

Experiencing a return to winter here this morning albeit brief. It's been snowing moderately since I got up just before 7, the temperature right now is right at 32. As much as I love winter weather I feel that now that we're halfway through March we are fighting a losing battle. Unless we can manage a big event in the next couple of weeks these events like today are nice to look at and might temporarily freshen up the remaining glacial snowpack but as soon as it stops the sun vaporizes it. Next weekend the sun crosses the equator and will be over our half of the world. Time to start thinking warm weather!

The Rochester snowpack number is a complete joke. Yesterday I measured 12" in Pittsford which is 6 miles SE of the airport, today, I have 10" in Irondequoit which is 8 miles N of the airport. They just dont bother. It really is annoying. I hate when people exagerate snowfalls and totals, but I hate it even more when they diminish it. I saw a snowpack map today and it had this little hole of 4" of pack over the Rochester Airport. The meteorolgists in this town have been trying to get the NWS to get after whoever msrs that stuff, but with zero success over the last few years. Rest assured, KROC still has at least 8" of very thick, very cold, very dense snowpack. Some areas in fields have a 12-16". They must be measuring in an area affected by salt or tree cover. Disgusting. Science IS important.

I looked at the CLI report for ROC again. They updated the Sunday morning snoe depth number from 0 to 5. For Monday, that measurement is down to 2. So they are inconsistent with reporting, but I have noticed that they also run way under nearby cooperative observers during events.

I get really annoyed when local news covers the stupid Golden Snowball because the official reporting locations are so arbitrary. But beyond that it has got to be frustrating to not be able to use their data set all as a reference source for local climate records.

Pretty robust NW-SE oriented lake band hammering CNY this am, esp ITH to BGM. Pretty much un/underforecasted from what I can tell. I wonder how many more of these we'll see in next cpl weeks. We still have 14" on ground here. Looks like we might make it into April with some amount of snowcover.

April 5

A Cold Spring Week     40°F / 23°F If you have plans this week to be in NYC, Boston, Hartford, Manchester or Providence temperatures will run below to much below average. There will be a brief warm up ahead of one main storm system during the week that will spread rain to most locations. A stripe of snow will be possible from upstate New York to Maine. After the storm, very cold air will head south. This will create lake effect rain and snow showers, some could be heavy around Buffalo.

:lmao:http://weather2020.com/forecasts/?v=0&l=14213

Archived