Newest Member
    joxey
Super Snow Sunday

40/70 Benchmark

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They are both light years behind Harvey

Harvey is easily the best on camera met. Burbank is good, but he sometimes hugs individual models too much (Like when he forecasted 8  inches in BOS based on a GFS run with the SWFE to coastal event), but he's definitely solid overall. Pete is not a bad meteorologist either.

Sorry for the OT.

Just how there is a pattern change after this storm. Look at Wednesday and beyond. I see no change even if we got a taint storm.

I have to believe Pete's thoughts are aimed at the viewers who have really expressed extreme reactions to the pattern we're in. That's unusual for him to say something like that.  I'll bet there are some that have picked up on it (based on fact or not) and are breathing a sigh of relief. Just an assumption trying not to look at it scientifically :-) [Didn't say I agree with it ]

I think the issue here is the debate is:

Are the dry models wrong because they lack moisture despite strong mid level features?

Or.

Are the dry models lacking moisture despite strong mid level features because the best contrast and moisture is initially out by Bermuda?

My take is its the second mostly. That displacement in and of itself is disrupting the development which slows the feedback cycle in the sense that without the moisture etc we are not able to maximize initial development which in turn doesn't maximize the strengthening aloft in time as they are all tied together.

Someone asked what was it about the 18z gfs. Simply look at 60 hr qpf from 66 vs 72 at 12z.. I'm awards mid levels were "better" but mid levels aren't the issue. The issue is The front cleared Bermuda and it'll take time to develop moisture. That delay could be what the ggem and others are seeing and what the gfs started to see and why it shifted south with the qpf in northern NH and Sw Maine by Sunday river etc.

I figure 4-8" based on ten to 1 imby.

If the GFS comes through and ratios are 12:1 or better we stand to get about 9" inches on ORH based on QPF from the map (assuming we are on the higher end of .5-.75 on the eastern side of that range). Combined with the wind and temps, not bad. If we go with the Canadian we are at 4".... a bitter cold dusting by this year's standards

Who knows, maybe the damned thing will explode as soon as it hits the water of NJ and give us all a nice surprise.... but whatever the case, it seems to be a damned hard storm to get a feel for.

If the gfs fails here it'll likely be the result of a presumption of initial conditions based on climo or whatever. Ie that the gulf stream waters are not usually raging Nw dry winds with a huge coastal developing etc which allows it to overdevelop the low.

I'm looking at 1am tonite and there are not "raging Nw winds near the gulf stream" Ditto 7 am, while the LP is by Lake Huron. By 1pm you can see about 70% RH and SE winds  begin to cover Gulf stream waters , while coastal is by Lake Erie shores. By 0z with low pressure an hour or two from splashing into Atlantic, we have SSE winds over Gulf stream with 90% RH.

I just don't see it that dry while it's developing, if it was developing tonight sure, but that's not the case. Now the GFS may very well be wrong.

That's very interesting Ryan. Still can't decide?

Well we decided to keep our initial forecast from Thursday night of 3-6 most of CT with 6-10 for NE CT.  We had planned on eliminating the 6-10 contour but got cold feet after the 18z GFS.

Normally we try to get stuff out by 4:30 for the web, social media, etc. but today we were on the fence so we held off until the last possible minute. 

Archived