Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey

bluewave

• Replies 852
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yea, I was up at Killington back during the 2004 mega cold outbreak in January.  Holy crap, THAT was cold.  It didn't matter how many layers I had on, it was about -35 at the peak with a pretty stiff wind.

We went to Smuggler's Notch this past weekend, it got down to about -20 but we were probably skiing at the top when it was around -15 out.  That was tolerable.

Yea, I was up at Killington back during the 2004 mega cold outbreak in January.  Holy crap, THAT was cold.  It didn't matter how many layers I had on, it was about -35 at the peak with a pretty stiff wind.

We went to Smuggler's Notch this past weekend, it got down to about -20 but we were probably skiing at the top when it was around -15 out.  That was tolerable.

Nice man. I definitely have not skiied in conditions like that. At that point I'm not even attempting. Love smuggler's by the way. Haven't been in a while but one of my favorite spots in the northeast.

Nice man. I definitely have not skiied in conditions like that. At that point I'm not even attempting. Love smuggler's by the way. Haven't been in a while but one of my favorite spots in the northeast.

I  had never been, man it was AWESOME.  Lifts are a little slow, but the trails and the fresh powder were amazing. I grew up skiing in VA, so basically on ice (although Snowshoe is comparable to New England skiing).

Heh, lightweights left and right in this thread. "Cold" doesn't start until -10F or so. :)

Yup, I was in buffalo in the late 90's and I don't even know how cold it was. All I remember was the news throwing a pot of water in the air and it freezing before it came down. Windy as heck too, I went out, came right back in, screw that!!

The temperature remained at 5° in Central Park at 10 pm. Today's 5° reading is the coldest February temperature in NYC since February 5, 1996 when the temperature also fell to 5°.

Its remarkable when I looked at the record lows the other day how after 2/15 they jump, very few sub zero lows after that, even many not below 5 or 6.

Its remarkable when I looked at the record lows the other day how after 2/15 they jump, very few sub zero lows after that, even many not below 5 or 6.

I mean part of it is obviously the changing of the season, but I've looked too and it's a dramatic jump.  Even though we are dealing with a sample size of nearly 150, do you think that's part of the reason?

Archived