joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Super Snow Sunday 2/15-Party Like it's 1717

40/70 Benchmark

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Agreed. 65 is really high. Even exposed ORH airport didn't hit that during the prolific winds on the backside of Boxing Day 2010. I think they reached 63 or something. Most other areas in the interior would certainly be less than ORH airport.

They will still be very strong though. I'd say gusts over 50 is a lock.

Sure, gusts over 50 seem reasonable, but I don't think we'll be experiencing much beyond localized power outages with the winds.  ORH airport is so exposed that they probably reach speeds 10-20 mph more than anywhere else in the area (besides the top of Wawa)

First call here would be 5-9".... I dont think we will be looking at widespread 12+ totals. This storm will be remembered for cold and wind I think.

With the euro pretty much halting improvement last night, I'd be hesitant to forecast 12" for anyone outside of NE mass.

Should be a nice storm

This would be my call, too

Gloucester, or Rye or someone will get 18-22" or something   DE ME will get smoked

Ground blizzards are overrated for New England. In the plains thousands of miles of flat. Our hilly terrain mitigates the effects off the beaches most of the time.

I took this video on Feb 5th  (not Feb 4th as I say in the video).  This is Newfound Lake after a couple of inches of powder snow the day before.  Temp around 15F and wind in the 30's.  Amazing ground blizzard with wind coming over a couple of miles of frozen lake.  So I think blowing and drifting especially with so much snow on the ground will be a bigger problem than usual.

Not from this forum's region, but I got a group of students coming up to Mt. Snow for the weekend. Storm Saturday night into Sunday looks pretty wild. SREF plumes for the area are suggesting 15" possible and the winds look nasty. 12z NAM seems to show .25-.5 LE precip. Anyone have a feel for the conditions they'll see Sunday morning on the mountain? Really appreciate any feedback!

Mike

Ground blizzards are overrated for New England. In the plains thousands of miles of flat. Our hilly terrain mitigates the effects off the beaches most of the time.

Eh I think it is just exacerbated out here in the Great Lakes and over to the Plains. For instance NW Ohio literally has zero hills outside of landfills or manmade ones since it used to be swampland, therefore we have major blowing and drifting after every single snowstorm. But a storm of this strength with possibly 70 mph gusts is going to be ridiculous no matter where you are

I think the NAM looks great for much of SNE.  Really really good for coastal areas.  Can't expect big QPF with a cold dry airmass.  PWATS are low.  This is not a southern stream noreaster.  In the bands, snow will pile up quick and deep.  Other areas will largely miss, with mostly a sugar dusting.  Hard to say exactly where.

Archived