Newest Member
    joxey
Super Snow Sunday 2/15-Party Like it's 1717

40/70 Benchmark

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok. Thanks.

I wasn't trying to ne a d*ck or anything....just wasn't clear.

Yeah I'd say the odds of a really severe storm down this way are about 1 in 3... op Euro has it but only about 1 in 3 Euro Ens bring 0.50" liquid back toward I-91. Also, most of the GFS ensembles are on the "meh" side with the late bloomer scenario with the storm not really getting the trowal back this far southwest. 

A few inches... 3-6 and gusty winds is by far the more likely scenario IMBY I think. 

Yeah I'd say the odds of a really severe storm down this way are about 1 in 3... op Euro has it but only about 1 in 3 Euro Ens bring 0.50" liquid back toward I-91. Also, most of the GFS ensembles are on the "meh" side with the late bloomer scenario with the storm not really getting the trowal back this far southwest. 

A few inches... 3-6 and gusty winds is by far the more likely scenario IMBY I think.

I assume better north and east of Manchester; euro clown map looked about 12-18

Here is where modeling stands at 06z (12z in the case of the ECMWF) Sunday. 500 mb heights (yellow), 700 mb heights (white), and vorticity (shaded).

You can see the GFS is already the northern outlier in 500 mb low, in addition to the fact that the NAM and GGEM both have digging left to do before rounding the base of the trough.

Next frame we lose the NAM, but the ECMWF and GGEM are both south of SNE with the 500 mb low, the GFS is NE off the tip of Cape Cod.

post-44-0-26662300-1423695753_thumb.png

It had about 10-12 east and north of 91..and probably not done trending SW. GFS/GEFS have handled this very poorly from the get go

Handled an event 4 days away very poorly huh?

I like how you know this with absolute certainty already. Unless you are specifically talking about the shortwave over the Arctic.

I still think the GFS is too dry in EMA and SNH.  Especially in the 12 hrs preceeding the 99hr chart.  700mb low orientation and lift look pretty good but the output is limited to a tenth or two.   Meanwhile the model anomalously prints out an inch of liquid near Acadia National Park.  It's almost as though it dumps the moisture instead of wrapping it SW.  I wonder if the cold, dry air wrapping into the low structure is messing with the precip generation or at least the algorithm for it.  The soundings are not quite out for me.

Handled an event 4 days away very poorly huh?

I like how you know this with absolute certainty already. Unless you are specifically talking about the shortwave over the Arctic.

Seeing as they/it had this OTS and now have it way north..yes ..I'd say they've handled it extremely poorly..and shouldn't be used/factored..

Seeing as they/it had this OTS and now have it way north..yes ..I'd say they've handled it extremely poorly..and shouldn't be used/factored..

Other models also had it out to sea. Let's keep the conjecture to a minimum. The best reason to avoid the GFS right now is because it is an outlier. Not because it showed a seaward system earlier.

Just looking quickly on my phone...but the 18z GEFS look to have a decent cluster of members that look more like other guidance than the OP run. There's still some northern members too though.

ECMWF EPS clustering is pretty tight given the range. Low locations are basically just model noise except for one out to lunch member that is halfway to the Azores.

A weenie question for those on the outside looking in--isn't the Nogaps frequently way east?  Like I said, a weenie question.

That was the big time bias when it was Nogaps but now the Navgem doesn't seem to be nearly as pronounced in that direction.  It's a much better model than it was 2 years ago.  It was one of the early latchers on of the 1/26-7/2015 blizzard.

Just looking quickly on my phone...but the 18z GEFS look to have a decent cluster of members that look more like other guidance than the OP run. There's still some northern members too though.

Yeah nice look on these.

OTHER

MAP

OPTIONS

>>>>>NEXT HR PREV HR<<<<<

RETURN

LINKS

E-WALL MREF E-WALL HOME

I think it's ok to discuss different models and solutions that aren't as favorable. I feel like when you mention something that isn't snowy, people come at you with "oh that's not the same situation" or "oh the GFS doesn't handle this or that well." There should not be pressure to only mention snowy scenarios and I feel like that is a problem. It's ok. Weather will do what weather does.

Archived