Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
February 2015 Arctic Outbreak Thread

LithiaWx

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yea, I'm with you , knew it was this weekend, cold is real deal. I've been saying for days this week was glowing with potential, enough to gurantee a shutout was getting erased for us, even if it's a 2 hour front end thump of a half inch of cement and flakes. Easy pattern to recognize for such a small quest. And to think everyone sent brick to bed with those horrific gfs images in his head, yall ought to be ashamed.

Yea, I'm with you , knew it was this weekend, cold is real deal. I've been saying for days this week was glowing with potential, enough to gurantee a shutout was getting erased for us, even if it's a 2 hour front end thump of a half inch of cement and flakes. Easy pattern to recognize for such a small quest. And to think everyone sent brick to bed with those horrific gfs images in his head, yall ought to be ashamed.

This has such bust potential it's off the charts.

SCZ013-120900-
UNION-
INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...UNION
712 PM EST WED FEB 11 2015

.TONIGHT...CLEAR. LOWS IN THE UPPER 30S. WEST WINDS AROUND 5 MPH.
.THURSDAY...SUNNY AND BREEZY. HIGHS AROUND 50. NORTHWEST WINDS 5 TO
10 MPH...INCREASING TO 15 TO 20 MPH WITH GUSTS UP TO 30 MPH IN THE
AFTERNOON.
.THURSDAY NIGHT...MOSTLY CLEAR. COLDER WITH LOWS IN THE LOWER 20S.
NORTHWEST WINDS 10 TO 15 MPH.
.FRIDAY...MOSTLY SUNNY. HIGHS IN THE LOWER 40S. WEST WINDS AROUND
5 MPH.
.FRIDAY NIGHT...MOSTLY CLEAR. LOWS IN THE MID 20S. SOUTHWEST WINDS
AROUND 5 MPH.
.SATURDAY AND SATURDAY NIGHT...MOSTLY CLEAR. HIGHS IN THE LOWER 50S.
LOWS IN THE LOWER 20S.
.SUNDAY AND SUNDAY NIGHT...MOSTLY CLEAR. HIGHS IN THE MID 30S. LOWS
AROUND 20.
.WASHINGTONS BIRTHDAY...MOSTLY SUNNY. HIGHS IN THE LOWER 40S.
.MONDAY NIGHT...PARTLY CLOUDY IN THE EVENING...THEN BECOMING MOSTLY
CLOUDY. LOWS AROUND 30.
.TUESDAY...CLOUDY. RAIN LIKELY...MAINLY IN THE AFTERNOON. HIGHS IN
THE UPPER 40S. CHANCE OF RAIN 60 PERCENT.
.TUESDAY NIGHT...RAIN LIKELY. LOWS AROUND 40. CHANCE OF RAIN
60 PERCENT.
.WEDNESDAY...MOSTLY CLOUDY WITH A CHANCE OF RAIN IN THE MORNING...
THEN MOSTLY SUNNY IN THE AFTERNOON. HIGHS IN THE LOWER 50S. CHANCE
OF RAIN 40 PERCENT.

That's what I was basing it on there. And mid 30's could be anywhere from 34-37 which isn't far from 40.

HAZARDOUS WEATHER OUTLOOK

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BLACKSBURG VA

546 AM EST THU FEB 12 2015

NCZ003-019-VAZ032>035-131100-

SURRY-WILKES-PATRICK-FRANKLIN-BEDFORD-AMHERST-

546 AM EST THU FEB 12 2015

THIS HAZARDOUS WEATHER OUTLOOK IS FOR NORTH CENTRAL NORTH

CAROLINA...NORTHWEST NORTH CAROLINA...CENTRAL VIRGINIA...SOUTH

CENTRAL VIRGINIA...SOUTHWEST VIRGINIA AND WEST CENTRAL VIRGINIA.

.DAY ONE...TODAY AND TONIGHT.

A STRONG ARCTIC FRONT WILL MOVE THROUGH THE REGION TODAY.

NORTHWEST WINDS WILL GUST AS HIGH AS 45 MPH FROM THIS AFTERNOON

INTO THIS EVENING. WITH THE COLD TEMPERATURES AND WIND...WIND

CHILLS WILL FALL INTO THE SINGLE DIGITS BY FRIDAY MORNING...TO

JUST BELOW ZERO AT HIGHER ELEVATIONS ALONG THE BLUE RIDGE.

.DAYS TWO THROUGH SEVEN...FRIDAY THROUGH WEDNESDAY.

ANOTHER VERY STRONG ARCTIC COLD FRONT AIR WILL ARRIVE SATURDAY

NIGHT...WITH NORTHWEST WINDS AGAIN GUSTING UP TO 45 MPH AND WIND

CHILLS POTENTIALLY FALLING TO NEAR 10 BELOW ZERO.

ANOTHER STORM SYSTEM MAY BRING A THREAT OF WINTER PRECIPITATION TO

THE AREA TUESDAY.

This is now looking like a two pronged cold attack with a winter storm in between. This is our best look all winter thanks to this arctic outbreak. Multiple nights in the mid teens is pretty darn cold for my neck of the woods.

Yeah, the post-storm outbreak looks potentially more brutal and deeper than the pre-storm one, especially if there is snow or ice on the ground.

The next arctic blast ....

HAZARDOUS WEATHER OUTLOOKNATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BLACKSBURG VA335 PM EST FRI FEB 13 2015SURRY-STOKES-ROCKINGHAM-CASWELL-WILKES-YADKIN-HENRY-PITTSYLVANIA-CAMPBELL-APPOMATTOX-BUCKINGHAM-HALIFAX-CHARLOTTE-335 PM EST FRI FEB 13 2015THIS HAZARDOUS WEATHER OUTLOOK IS FOR NORTH CENTRAL NORTHCAROLINA...NORTHWEST NORTH CAROLINA...CENTRAL VIRGINIA AND SOUTHCENTRAL VIRGINIA..DAYS TWO THROUGH SEVEN...SATURDAY THROUGH THURSDAY.STRONG NORTHWEST WINDS ARE EXPECTED DURING SATURDAY EVENING INTOSUNDAY. WINDS COULD GUST UP TO 50 MPH. WIND CHILL READINGS WILLREACH 5 TO 15 BELOW ZERO SATURDAY NIGHT.SNOW WILL BE POSSIBLE MONDAY AND TUESDAY.

delayed but not denied!!!

THE AIRMASS COMING INTO THE EAST DURING THE SHORT RANGE WILLPRODUCE ANOTHER ROUND OF FRIGID AIR LASTING INTO FRIDAY. WITH ASUBSTANTIAL SNOWPACK, AREAS FROM THE NORTH CAROLINA PIEDMONTTHROUGH THE MID-ATLANTIC REGION WILL LIKELY SEE RECORD DAILY LOWS,AND IN SEVERAL CASES THE LOWEST READINGS IN DECADES.

Not fair..euro and gfs showing sub zero temps widespread across north carolina possibly two mornings in a row with highs only in the teens while we only manage single digits to around 10/low teens for lows and mid to upper 20s thur and 30 to 35 fri. I mean if it's going to be cold, i wish it would do something truly special here..instead us in ga/sc have to put up with more or less miserable run of the mill cold...while folks just to our north bask in the glory of something truly historic.

THE AIRMASS COMING INTO THE EAST DURING THE SHORT RANGE WILLPRODUCE ANOTHER ROUND OF FRIGID AIR LASTING INTO FRIDAY. WITH ASUBSTANTIAL SNOWPACK, AREAS FROM THE NORTH CAROLINA PIEDMONTTHROUGH THE MID-ATLANTIC REGION WILL LIKELY SEE RECORD DAILY LOWS,AND IN SEVERAL CASES THE LOWEST READINGS IN DECADES.

Not fair..euro and gfs showing sub zero temps widespread across north carolina possibly two mornings in a row with highs only in the teens while we only manage single digits to around 10/low teens for lows and mid to upper 20s thur and 30 to 35 fri. I mean if it's going to be cold, i wish it would do something truly special here..instead us in ga/sc have to put up with more or less miserable run of the mill cold...while folks just to our north bask in the glory of something truly historic.

Hey Lookout, well when my pipes burst on Thursday I'll gladly let you stay with me and help cleanup the mess :P

You'd get at least one day of historic cold that way. 

:clap:  Could not agree more! WNC getting to teens below zero and WV getting to 30s below and we get to what, 8-10? Boorrrriinnggg!

Bring the real cold - wanna see some negative readings here too. You NC guys have all the fun.

Sub Zero would be nice to see in Marietta, I guess the lack of snowpack here is going to keep the temps 10-15 higher than in NC/TN

:clap: Could not agree more! WNC getting to teens below zero and WV getting to 30s below and we get to what, 8-10? Boorrrriinnggg!

Bring the real cold - wanna see some negative readings here too. You NC guys have all the fun.

lol... high heating bills and only 3 inches of snow via 1/2 inch here one inch there, mostly on November is something you can have. I like cool/cold weather in the fall and thru the holidays. After that I will take it with snow to play in. trust me being Below 0 is not too fun.

lol... high heating bills and only 3 inches of snow via 1/2 inch here one inch there, mostly on November is something you can have. I like cool/cold weather in the fall and thru the holidays. After that I will take it with snow to play in. trust me being Below 0 is not too fun.

Yeah but its a bad year for you snowwise. A bad year for you is a good year for me. Plus you get much cooler weather in the summer.

Hey Lookout, well when my pipes burst on Thursday I'll gladly let you stay with me and help cleanup the mess :P

You'd get at least one day of historic cold that way. 

lol..well i can prevent that..and gladly would if it meant seeing something i've never seen. Lowest temp i think i  can ever recall was about 2 or 3 degrees.

:clap:  Could not agree more! WNC getting to teens below zero and WV getting to 30s below and we get to what, 8-10? Boorrrriinnggg!

yep..one could go the rest of their life  and never see that type of cold again. Our temps, although cold, won't really be that special.

Sub Zero would be nice to see in Marietta, I guess the lack of snowpack here is going to keep the temps 10-15 higher than in NC/TN

I'm not totally convinced it has to do with snowpack, at least over nc. Maybe the airmass moving over the snow pack north of there has something to do with it but the core of the cold goes straight for them. They stay under 850s of -20c for a long time..for more than 24 hours..which is nuts. (we only briefly touch -20c before rapidly warming)  So even without it, they would be looking at very impressive temps.

Archived