northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
2/12-2/13 Potential

EasternLI

• Replies 525
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't see that happening with the AO and NAO being well into positive territory and the PNA not positive enough........

ao and NAO are overrated. We had a historic winter just last year with both of them positive most times though ao was slightly negative. Regardless stop with this NAO ao crap please u sound ludicrous!

PNA looks fine, we need Thursday's Strom to move into a favorable position. It may not be an ideal set up but it has some potential.

The AO and NAO are forecast to spike. The PNA is coming down from around +3.5-4sd. Even yesterday the AO was expected to go neutral and now ensembles are showing it leveling off around +1sd before heading back up.

ao and NAO are overrated. We had a historic winter just last year with both of them positive most times though ao was slightly negative. Regardless stop with this NAO ao crap please u sound ludicrous!

Teleconnections govern the weather in general. Yes mesoscale events do take place and give us appreciable snow at times, but for a large area wide snow storm, you generally need some teleconnections in your favor. The NAO is not quite as important, but when the NAO and AO are both in very positive territory, it's pretty darn hard to get a large Snowstorm.

The AO and NAO are forecast to spike. The PNA is coming down from around +3.5-4sd. Even yesterday the AO was expected to go neutral and now ensembles are showing it leveling off around +1sd before heading back up.

like I said all we need is the positive pna for this storm to at least give us some snow. Let it play out. This guy negNAO is so negative about snow and he doesn't actually give actual facts. The fact is we've been getting hammered with snow the last two years with both of these teleconnections against us so that's not a fact anymore. Let the storm play out jeez!

Teleconnections govern the weather in general. Yes mesoscale events do take place and give us appreciable snow at times, but for a large area wide snow storm, you generally need some teleconnections in your favor. The NAO is not quite as important, but when the NAO and AO are both in very positive territory, it's pretty darn hard to get a large Snowstorm.

This isn't right.  The weather governs teleconnections.  Particularly when you're talking about indices, the indices are just approximations of actual patterns, created for forecaster convenience.  That's why you can get snowstorms with unfavorable indices - there are certain patterns that the indices fail to usefully describe. 

Correlation does not equal causation.  NAO/AO/EPO/PNA etc. correlate with a high probability of certain weather events.  They do not govern those events and, generally, index-based forecasting is very limited and should never be used in place of actual pattern interpretation - which a human can still do much better than a computer, at least for now.

most of the time positive ao winters get most of its snow and cold around the date of the ao minimum...same for negative ao winters...it looks like the lowest the ao fell to was on Feb. 2nd...we did get 4" of snow and ice on the 2nd...since the ao went negative in January there has been constant  snow on the ground...

ao.obs.gif

This isn't right. The weather governs teleconnections. Particularly when you're talking about indices, the indices are just approximations of actual patterns, created for forecaster convenience. That's why you can get snowstorms with unfavorable indices - there are certain patterns that the indices fail to usefully describe.

Correlation does not equal causation. NAO/AO/EPO/PNA etc. correlate with a high probability of certain weather events. They do not govern those events and, generally, index-based forecasting is very limited and should never be used in place of actual pattern interpretation - which a human can still do much better than a computer, at least for now.

I'm going to respectfully disagree with you though I understand your point. However, global weather patterns, ad you said, make up the indicies of the teleconnections. As such, like I said, while the mesoscale events can easily change within a pattern, teleconnections give you an idea of how worldwide weather patterns are behaving. The atmosphere is a fluid and as such, global weather patterns affect our region. So while perhaps using the word govern was a misappropriation of the word, teleconnections, when you have a majority unfavorable, will be hard pressed to yield a SECS or MECS. I didn't say impossible, I said hard pressed.

I'm going to respectfully disagree with you though I understand your point. However, global weather patterns, ad you said, make up the indicies of the teleconnections. As such, like I said, while the mesoscale events can easily change within a pattern, teleconnections give you an idea of how worldwide weather patterns are behaving. The atmosphere is a fluid and as such, global weather patterns affect our region. So while perhaps using the word govern was a misappropriation of the word, teleconnections, when you have a majority unfavorable, will be hard pressed to yield a SECS or MECS. I didn't say impossible, I said hard pressed.

Teleconnections =/= indices.

More room to amplify, but we still need the trough axis a bit west. The GFS was very close for something bigger on Saturday/Sunday.

don't see that happening with the AO and NAO being well into positive territory and the PNA not positive enough........

I guess i *am* clairvoyant. Now, wait for feint west that one of the models will do.

Followed by another model making a slight westward move as well, and then both of them making a move east during the next series of runs that brings everything further east than before the slight westward move?

Archived