Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
Long duration overrunning to coastal disco 02/07-02/09

Damage In Tolland

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well I know the idea is that you move from ensembles to deterministic models when you get inside about 48hr, but the Euro ensembles have pretty high resolution themselves. They don't usually differ from the op too much inside of 24-48hr so it may be a moot point, but I don't think I would toss them. The op runs haven't been so hot inside of 12hr either.

just confirming that I read this post...

I just think folks are getting a tad carried away... 

Although, I did outline some kinematics yesterday that could certainly enhance this beyond the general scope of the model output. We'll see. 

The NAM model is clearly signaling a proficient OE enhancement to the QPF for far eastern coastal zones.  That's where the lion's share of those monster QPF totals are coming from for Logan.  The FRH grid tallies 1.72" liq eq through 60 hours!  But this slopes off pretty quick even as near-by as I95 in the charts.  Tough to say ...that's really a meso point of discussion so - 

What kind of ratios are we looking at for this?

Should be fairly high north of p-type transition zone.  Question is, where is that going to set up? 

Any other guesses welcome, but I'm thinking ~ NYC through the coastal zones of CT/RI and up to ~ the CC Canal.  My experience with these newly arriving arctic domes, ..they'll tend to win out and press the boundary and the thermal compression S as a correction.  Not absolutely certain of that, of course, ... but don't be shocked if it's cold. 

In fact, the cold in the lower levels may allow for high ratio snow to go to dry sleep pellets, and then if zr does take place, very efficient accretion well below freezing.   

Should be fairly high north of p-type transition zone. Question is, where is that going to set up?

Any other guesses welcome, but I'm thinking ~ NYC through the coastal zones of CT/RI and up to ~ the CC Canal. My experience with these newly arriving arctic domes, ..they'll tend to win out and press the boundary and the thermal compression S as a correction. Not absolutely certain of that, of course, ... but don't be shocked if it's cold.

In fact, the cold in the lower levels may allow for high ratio snow to go to dry sleep pellets, and then if zr does take place, very efficient accretion well below freezing.

Okx has some pretty aggressive ice in their forecast

Still lower confidence at any point do we really make WSW criteria. Might hit it a couple of times but its spread out over a long duration. At that point do you just issue the warning for wording? 

WSW (6" in 12hrs or 9" in 24hrs for GYX CWA)

I'm on the fence even down here along Rt 2 in Mass, which is supposed to plausibly jack-pot.  Thing is, ...I can see arguments for this over-producing. Meso from banding... OE, etc..  But I can also nod to this busting too high for snow totals, due to dry air consumption off newly arriving arctic high (evaporation sink), and the fact that most synoptic charts struggle to make .25" in a single 3-hourly period pretty much everywhere..   Interesting...

Okx has some pretty aggressive ice in their forecast

Yeah, I don't blame them... that's pretty impressive low level cold, and given to the high pressing just N of Maine throughout the next 60 hours, ...in the spring, do we ever question the arrival of a backdoor ?? 

I mean, it's not too dissimilar to that..  should see sub-freezing air wedge down S under what warm layers there are. 

I'm on the fence even down here along Rt 2 in Mass, which is supposed to plausibly jack-pot.  Thing is, ...I can see arguments for this over-producing. Meso from banding... OE, etc..  But I can also nod to this busting too high for snow totals, due to dry air consumption off newly arriving arctic high (evaporation sink), and the fact that most synoptic charts struggle to make .25" in a single 3-hourly period pretty much everywhere..   Interesting...

I agree with you completely. My feelings are to go with the pattern we have been experiencing. This is gonna over produce!

If this whole pattern verifies we are sitting on the greatest winter stretch in the general boston area for many of our lifetimes.

How do you think our neck of the woods fares in terms of totals?

Prepare for 12-24 imo...I know broad but thats what im planning on. I am feeling 90% sure you stay all frozen about 75-80% for me in hull.

This is gonna be fun. It has seemed to me before each storm the south shore will get screwed...then we do fantastic.

It's close to 6z..Best overrunning from S Central CT on north

Best overrunning is still through the heart of Mass with shadowing in the valley and enhancement around Boston metro. But it is really not bad for CT if you are looking for lots of "snowing" observations. Looks like it would be similar to the GFS for the coastal and has had that look for a while.

Best overrunning is still through the heart of Mass with shadowing in the valley and enhancement around Boston metro. But it is really not bad for CT if you are looking for lots of "snowing" observations. Looks like it would be similar to the GFS for the coastal and has had that look for a while.

It's got 3-6 for you by noon tomorrow with more after that

Yeah I know I feel the same way. Its very interesting setup. This looks to be one of those storm where you fly by the seat of your pants. 

Archived