joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Superbowl Snowstorm Thread Part 3

TugHillMatt

• Replies 987
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wonder if DTX is even mauling a BW????  Doesn't matter to me as this storm is what it is regardless of the NWS warnings but I know for some it is a big deal to get an actual BW posted by the NWS.

As long as we get the epic snowfall totals, while it would be a very nice cherry on top, having a Blizzard WArning isn't a big deal...

Slight lull the last our in Elgin, IL. Winds starting to pick up and so is the snow again... Haven't been outside yet but it looks like the stuff that has fallen already is heavy and wet with the new snow being much lighter.

Interested to see how things change once the backside of the storm starts hitting...

Yeah I was sweating it a bit. Filled in nicely for an afternoon of moderate to heavy snow with poor visibility

Deformation band is usually the best part of a storm. Wind really been a non factor to this point. Be interesting to see if it can ratchet up.

6th consecutive 1"/hr OBS. Should be around 10.5" based on hourly OBS and adding in snowfall as of 6AM.

KORD 011751Z 05017G23KT 1/2SM R10L/2400V4000FT SN FZFG OVC008 M03/M04 A2982 RMK AO2 SLP106 SNINCR 1/7 4/007 933005 P0003 60026 T10331044 11011 21033 58033

Nope...

1200 PM SNOW OHARE AIRPORT 41.98N 87.90W  

02/01/2015 M8.5 INCH COOK IL OFFICIAL NWS OBS  

5 INCHES SINCE 6 AM. 

I agree i just didn't understand IthielZ logic.

Probably should have worded it better. Because the chances of meeting legit parameters for a blizzard warning aren't overly high, I don't think they pull the trigger simply due to the fact that it's so difficult to actually meet the criteria and it fell short the previous two times even when all signs pointed to the criteria being met easily. Simply put, I feel like it isn't slam dunk enough to issue a warning right now.

Now if it's been raging snow with winds of 35-40mph for 2 hours and >0.25mi visibility in a few spots, I think they'd definitely issue a warning even if it was late.

Archived