• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Fab February Banter

mackerel_sky

The observations coming out of KGSO are pretty hilarious. Last 3 hours were Overcast, Fog/Mist, Fog/Mist. It's been a raging sleet storm the entire time.

I don't know if I am even going to try to measure this.  Measuring sleet is so hard.  I'll probably just go with KGSO's total since I'm only 3-4 miles away from the airport.

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

But anybody could fake an avatar. I know you don't trust everything you see on the Internet. I'm not really a spaceship...I don't think?

By the way, welcome aboard. :)

Oh I'm not mad; after all, I'm impossible to offend. But I am pretty pissed now that I've learned you're not really a spaceship. Talk about a misrepresentation.

And thanks for the welcome. 

Wow, fun stuff from the Mid-Atlantic subforum. :lol:

http://www.americanwx.com/bb/index.php/topic/45745-feb-16-17th-storm-banter-thread/page-23

HALFASS FORECAST DISCUSSION
NOTIONAL WEATHER SERVICE MIDATLANTIC
ALL NIGHT MONDAY EST ALL MORNING TUE 2015 IIRCILOLATTHEIDEAOFSNOW4U

.SYNOPSIS...
A STORM THAT WAS MODELED AS A SIGNIFICANT EVENT FOR THE MID ATLANTIC IS INCREASINGLY TURNING OUT TO BE NO SUCH GODDAMN THING. RADAR INTERPOLATIONS SUGGEST THAT THE WIDESPREAD 2-18" ACCUMULATIONS PROGGED FOR LATITUDES BETWEEN 40 S AND THE RIC SNOWHOLE SHOULD BE DISCOUNTED AND THOSE WHO SUGGESTED SUCH IMPACTS SHOULD BE DRAWN AND QUARTERED THEN SHOT AT DAWN. WILL MONITOR THIS SITUATION OVERNIGHT FOR POSSIBLE MITIGATION, WHICH WILL BE REFLECTED IN THE ZONES.

IN THE DALIES.... ER, HOURLIES ... ER, MINUETES ... A BIG FRIGGIN' HOLE IN RADAR RETURNS CENTERED OVER WC/SC/NC/NW/C/EC/SEC/SWC VA AND IN THE POTOMAC HIGHLANDS (WHEREVER THEY ARE, SOME SAY NORTH OF GREAT FALLS, SOME SAY AROUND THAT POWER PLANT IN MOUNT STORM) ... BUT NOT, AS WE STRESS, LIMITED TO THAT AREA ... MEANS THAT, IN THE MEANS, WE MEAN ... THAT ANTICIPATED FRONTOGENESIS IS NOT QUITE AS ROBUST ... HELL, WE MIGHT AS WELL SAY ... IS NOT HAPPENING TO ANYTHING LIKE THE EXTENT ANTICIPATED OR AS MODELED BY THE HRRR/RGEM/ZZTOP/KBILLYSUPERSOUNDSOFTHE70S SHORT RANGE MODELS. !IN FACT, SUCH FRONTOGENESIS MAY HAVE ABSOLUTELY NOTHING TO DO WITH THE SYNOPTIC PRESENTATION AS SUGGESTED BY THE SUITE OF 18Z MODELS: EURO (IT WAS SIX HOURS LATE BECAUSE OF PATHOGENSIS IN THE DATA INGESTED FROM CRIMEA RAOBS THAT MIGHT HAVE BEEN COMPROMISED BY LOCALIZED UNREST), RGEM (NOT TO BE CONFUSED WITH THE UPGRADED RGIII, AN EXPERIMENTAL RUN OF WHICH DROPPED WIDESPREAD 20-30" ACCUMULATIONS ACROSS THE LWX REGION BUT WAS DISCOUNTED DUE TO A LACK OF DATA PROCESSING ROBUSTNESS), AND THE HRRR, WHICH HAS BEEN DISCOUNTED BECAUSE IT LACKS TWO "O'S" IN THE ACRONYM AND THUS ALWAYS TENDS TOWARD MORE AGGRESSIVE WINTERTIME SOLUTIONS.

THEREFORE, HAVE DECIDED TO DISCONTINUE WSWs FOR PRACTICALLY ALL OF THE AREA (WITH THE EXCEPTION OF PARR'S RIDGE, WHERE LATEST GROUND-TRUTH REPORTS VERIFY 4-6"/HR ACCUMULATIONS) AND HAVE COORDINATED WITH BOX, GYX, AND ALY TO HOIST BLIZZARD WARNINGS FOR THE NEXT FORTNIGHT, IN KEEPING WITH SEASONAL TRENDS.

Ice storm warnings are only issued by Raleigh if freezing rain will be the only precip type. Any mixed precip events are covered by a winter storm Warning.

Got it. Turns out an Ice Storm Warning wouldn't have verified in our area since we didn't get as much freezing rain.

I'm so friggin' relieved this was mostly sleet instead of frz rain in my area. I know metallic has called some of us out for publicly saying we don't want an ice storm while secretly hoping for one. I can honestly say that isn't true for me! I've never quite been the same after the Dec 2002 ice storm. It was awesome for like 3 hours, and then it got absolutely dreadful for a week due to not having power. 

I feel for anybody that's lost power, and hope ya'll get it back on soon before the real cold hits soon.

Haha! Look at this gem from the NWS Jacksonville. I'm going to **** myself if they get another snow event and I see nothing..AT

LEAST...FERNANDINA SOUTHWARD WITH A FEW SHOWERS MOVING ONSHORE.

DEPENDING UPON THE STRENGTH OF THE COLD AIR ADVECTION IN THE AREA

AND THE ONSET OF THE ATLANTIC MOISTURE WE MIGHT...REPEAT

MIGHT...SEE A SNOW FLAKE OR TWO ALONG THE COASTAL AREAS FRIDAY

(MORNING?). THERE I SAID IT...SNOW. REALISTICALLY THE CHANCES ARE

VERY SLIM BUT IT IS THE KIND OF SET UP WERE WE CAN SEE A BIT OF

SNOW COMING IN OFF THE WATER. IF IT DID HAPPEN IT WOULD NOT BE

ANYTHING SUBSTANTIAL JUST A FEW FLAKES. BEST CHANCE LOOKS LIKE IT

WOULD BE IN ST JOHNS AND FLAGLER COUNTIES BUT LETS NOT GET THE

KIDDIES...OR METEOROLOGISTS...TOO EXCITED ABOUT IT JUST YET.

Man, I wonder why there aren't more girls around here?  :rolleyes:

Because really, if I were a boy trying to be a girl so I could talk to boys, this is where I'd come. Ya caught me.

And thanks for thinking the pic is fake. I'm flattered. 

:blahblah:

Haha! Look at this gem from the NWS Jacksonville. I'm going to **** myself if they get another snow event and I see nothing..AT

LEAST...FERNANDINA SOUTHWARD WITH A FEW SHOWERS MOVING ONSHORE.

DEPENDING UPON THE STRENGTH OF THE COLD AIR ADVECTION IN THE AREA

AND THE ONSET OF THE ATLANTIC MOISTURE WE MIGHT...REPEAT

MIGHT...SEE A SNOW FLAKE OR TWO ALONG THE COASTAL AREAS FRIDAY

(MORNING?). THERE I SAID IT...SNOW. REALISTICALLY THE CHANCES ARE

VERY SLIM BUT IT IS THE KIND OF SET UP WERE WE CAN SEE A BIT OF

SNOW COMING IN OFF THE WATER. IF IT DID HAPPEN IT WOULD NOT BE

ANYTHING SUBSTANTIAL JUST A FEW FLAKES. BEST CHANCE LOOKS LIKE IT

WOULD BE IN ST JOHNS AND FLAGLER COUNTIES BUT LETS NOT GET THE

KIDDIES...OR METEOROLOGISTS...TOO EXCITED ABOUT IT JUST YET.

:(

Got it. Turns out an Ice Storm Warning wouldn't have verified in our area since we didn't get as much freezing rain.

I'm so friggin' relieved this was mostly sleet instead of frz rain in my area. I know metallic has called some of us out for publicly saying we don't want an ice storm while secretly hoping for one. I can honestly say that isn't true for me! I've never quite been the same after the Dec 2002 ice storm. It was awesome for like 3 hours, and then it got absolutely dreadful for a week due to not having power. 

I feel for anybody that's lost power, and hope ya'll get it back on soon before the real cold hits soon.

I'm relieved we avoided the ZR here.  I've been through quite a few severe ice storms.  I can't say that any of them were fun once I owned my own home.  That might actually be the dividing line between those that want and those that don't.

So it looks like they got a 3-5" type event, not the 6-10" they were hoping for.  Boo freaking who....

They are approaching climo for the winter and have a great shot at getting it, with all the bellyaching they do with crap like this and the Jeb soapbox rant you would think they were RDU.

So it looks like they got a 3-5" type event, not the 6-10" they were hoping for.  Boo freaking who....

They are approaching climo for the winter and have a great shot at getting it, with all the bellyaching they do with crap like this and the Jeb soapbox rant you would think they were RDU.

A-freakin'-men.

So I saw you mention this last night, and I'm an amateur at best, so maybe you can explain. What's blocking (in a meteorological sense), and why do we need it? Thanks! 

Well that was weird. At 9:00AM, the weather radio went off announcing a Winter Storm Warning for an additional 1/10" of zr. Came to the computer and checked the weatherbot. Warning issued at 9:00, Warning canceled at 9:00. Someone musta hit the wrong button. At least the wife is awake now :)

A-freakin'-men.

So I saw you mention this last night, and I'm an amateur at best, so maybe you can explain. What's blocking (in a meteorological sense), and why do we need it? Thanks! 

This is the probably the best article that explains blocking, which are referred to as the state of the AO/NAO.  We want a -AO and -NAO for our best chance at seeing snow, yes we can get winter events without it, just like we did today but it's really difficult.  We can get by with a strong -AO but for our best chances is with the combination of a -AO/-NAO.  Today we got this winter event with a +PNA/-EPO pattern, which takes a lot of luck/timing.  

http://www.nc-climate.ncsu.edu/climate/patterns/NAO.html

This is the probably the best article that explains blocking, which are referred to as the state of the AO/NAO.  We want a -AO and -NAO for our best chance at seeing snow, yes we can get winter events without it, just like we did today but it's really difficult.  We can get by with a strong -AO but for our best chances is with the combination of a -AO/-NAO.  Today we got this winter event with a +PNA/-EPO pattern, which takes a lot of luck/timing.  

http://www.nc-climate.ncsu.edu/climate/patterns/NAO.html

Great explainer. Thanks!

Archived