• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Fab February Banter

mackerel_sky

LOL, Shawn, aren't you at like 250% of climo after your November surprise? I'm at about 15%. ;)

It was extremely confined to a tiny area. KCAE didn't even see accumulation downtown. 

Plus, Meteo Winter does not start until Dec 1st.

On top of that, it all melted instantly after it stopped falling.  My yard went over to rain after a bit, but 1 mile up the road it was ridiculous.

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some jobs have to go on...  I'm a grad student, so I was off, but my mother went to work this morning and my father would have to go if he was working today, as well (airline pilot), for example.

Honestly, the roads didn't seem that bad.  The sleet wasn't that hard to drive on.

Yeah, they weren't too bad.  All the main streets in Cary are now clear.  The look great.

Man for just getting tons of sleet when it was supposed to be too warm people sure are grumpy today about this weekend.

Some people are never satisfied. If it is a threat, it is better than not having any possibility at all. I think this week is just the start of a good stretch of winter weather. It took forever to get here, but it's going to end up being good.

Some people are never satisfied. If it is a threat, it is better than not having any possibility at all. I think this week is just the start of a good stretch of winter weather. It took forever to get here, but it's going to end up being good.

Maybe for NE GA, TN, NC, Upstate.

I don't understand what people are seeing for this weekend. Maybe it's because I can only see the coarse maps on eWall. High pressure is moving out, so easterly winds are taking over by the time meager moisture is moving in. There's no additional cold air advection and there's no real system to get precip in here. With this past event, you had a fresh airmass and a real system moving in. Maybe some token flakes for some, but I don't see a lot of potential for anything more than that, unless the models are substantially misrepresenting something.

I don't understand what people are seeing for this weekend. Maybe it's because I can only see the coarse maps on eWall. High pressure is moving out, so easterly winds are taking over by the time meager moisture is moving in. There's no additional cold air advection and there's no real system to get precip in here. With this past event, you had a fresh airmass and a real system moving in. Maybe some token flakes for some, but I don't see a lot of potential for anything more than that, unless the models are substantially misrepresenting something.

I thought the same thing but I did look at it some more.  There is some good front end potential for GSO and points west.  There is good 2m wedging going on for the day on Saturday, looks like it could be front end snow to ice to rain, maybe the precip shuts off as the SLP tracks NW.

Some solid precip does fall during the day on Saturday...

The mountains may do very well, maybe biggest snow of the season, sadly...

post-2311-0-22601500-1424207647_thumb.pn

post-2311-0-33826500-1424207653_thumb.pn

Pack, I see your anomaly map above. I was looking at ewall. The flow goes from west to southwest from 90 to 108, so I could see a little more precip at the end there. But the wedge looks awful on the ewall maps at 108. Weird how the anomaly map looks so good.

Going to ride the GFS with this one, it's a similar setup for what we went through yesterday just a little further west.  The GFS has us at 8F on 12z Sat, then at 24F at 18z Sat when precip moves in, at 0z Sun we are at 31F and we rise to 35F at 6z Sun.  During that period we have had 0.25" QPF but GSO and points west have had much more.  For us it's a nothing event, but for Franklin and his crew it could be a big winter storm.  Still, lots can go wrong very easily, the biggest thing for them is getting the precip.

Going to ride the GFS with this one, it's a similar setup for what we went through yesterday just a little further west. The GFS has us at 8F on 12z Sat, then at 24F at 18z Sat when precip moves in, at 0z Sun we are at 31F and we rise to 35F at 6z Sun. During that period we have had 0.25" QPF but GSO and points west have had much more. For us it's a nothing event, but for Franklin and his crew it could be a big winter storm. Still, lots can go wrong very easily, the biggest thing for them is getting the precip.

Ok, that makes sense. Thanks for explaining.

Man for just getting tons of sleet when it was supposed to be too warm people sure are grumpy today about this weekend. 

Agree 100%.  There was no joy in Mudville, mighty Casey had struck out...  :cry:

I thought the same thing but I did look at it some more.  There is some good front end potential for GSO and points west.  There is good 2m wedging going on for the day on Saturday, looks like it could be front end snow to ice to rain, maybe the precip shuts off as the SLP tracks NW.

Some solid precip does fall during the day on Saturday...

The mountains may do very well, maybe biggest snow of the season, sadly...

That's the spirit, Pack!  Over here in WNC, we are quite excited about another opportunity so soon following this one.  We won't get any snow tomorrow out of the arctic front, while you probably will.  Then, we'll have the opposite scenario on Saturday.

Archived