• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Bust of the Century January 26-27 2015 model suites and discussions

Morris

Much of Nassau County within the meat of the earlier banding should exceed 20", since there's already 6" on the ground in some areas. 

And people freaking out-look at the Mt. Holly radar and the band off the NJ coast that is still clearly pushing west. The orientation of it is NE to SW, meaning nothing is stopping it from continuing west. When the orientation changes to N-S, then you know it's pivoting and won't come any further. That's likely the insane deformation axis models earlier had. 

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was just looking at the radar loops and it's pretty clear that the banding will be spreading Westward soon. A new deformation band is beginning to fire right over Western Bergen County NJ and that should continue to expand to the south and west. Another band is about to push into NYC and the Sandy Hook area. I think that patience is the key here. The models have been all over the place with this one. As some mets have already tweeted out today, sometimes it's better to put down the models and use your own knowledge.

The banding over Suffolk County is pushing westward nicely and should keep doing so for another couple of hours. That would likely get heavy snow past NYC. From there it should pivot overhead for quite a while before it heads east tomorrow morning. Heavy snow is already just off the beaches of NJ. People need to stop panicking and just pay attention to obs. 

Why is it panicking when there is objective evidence from several models that call the high QPF forecast of 20"-30" in western zones into question?

The NAM is a mess of a model overall and could definitely now be too far east after being too far west. Factoring in the other models, I'm sure 8-10" is still possible around NYC and still maybe 5-8" or so just west into jersey. Central and eastern long islanders could definitely still see 15-20", so no "storm cancel" there.....many of us in this subforum should still get clocked

The NAM is a mess of a model overall and could definitely now be too far east after being too far west. Factoring in the other models, I'm sure 8-10" is still possible around NYC and still maybe 5-8" or so just west into jersey

NYC already has 5" come on now... I see no reason to believe that they won't double that

SHORT TERM FORECAST
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE MOUNT HOLLY NJ
828 PM EST MON JAN 26 2015

NJZ012>015-019-020-PAZ070-071-102>106-270230-
MERCER NJ-UPPER BUCKS PA-WESTERN MONTGOMERY PA-PHILADELPHIA PA-
DELAWARE PA-NORTHWESTERN BURLINGTON NJ-WESTERN MONMOUTH NJ-
EASTERN MONMOUTH NJ-MIDDLESEX NJ-OCEAN NJ-LOWER BUCKS PA-
EASTERN MONTGOMERY PA-EASTERN CHESTER PA-
828 PM EST MON JAN 26 2015

.NOW...

AT 826 PM...NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE DOPPLER RADAR INDICATED A SNOW
SQUALL ALONG A LINE EXTENDING FROM 4 MILES NORTH OF SANDY HOOK TO 9
MILES NORTHEAST OF TRENTON TO 22 MILES NORTH OF PHILADELPHIA...MOVING
SOUTHWEST AT 10 MPH. THIS SQUALL WILL BE NEAR OLD BRIDGE...NORTH
MIDDLETOWN...MATAWAN...LAWRENCEVILLE AROUND 840 PM...PENNS PARK...
JAMISON...NEWTOWN GRANT...HARLEYSVILLE AROUND 850 PM...WARRINGTON AND
MONTGOMERYVILLE AROUND 900 PM. SNOWFALL RATES OF AROUND ONE INCH PER
HOUR AND VISIBILITIES LESS THAN A MILE ARE POSSIBLE WITH THIS SNOW
BAND. ADDITIONAL HEAVY SNOW BANDS ARE EXPECTED TO MOVE IN FROM THE
EAST OVER THE NEXT FEW HOURS.

I think if anyone's in for the bust, it might be Philly. They were always on the edge and the NWS bit hard on them getting a good snow event. This looks to end up somewhere between Boxing Day and 2/8/13 with the heavy banding. If that excludes Philly, Mt. Holly's going to have egg on their face. Models have consistently today been backing down there big time. 

Archived