12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
January Med/Long Range Disco Part 2

WinterWxLuvr

• Replies 751
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't care what weenie laments this, but it's good ots sea now. I'm dead serious. I don't want it looking anywhere near what the euro showed until like 12z Tuesday. When has a 200+ prog looked exactly like the actual prediction.

The opening act clipper is going to steal the show soon. Then we'll be talking snow on snow. And how it's going to stick on the ground for 2 weeks as the bay freezes over.

The opening act clipper is going to steal the show soon. Then we'll be talking snow on snow. And how it's going to stick on the ground for 2 weeks as the bay freezes over.

I want to post something intelligent and relevant in response to this but I'm drawing a blank lol....So I'll just be a total weenie and say please let this come true... :weenie:

I don't care what weenie laments this, but it's good ots sea now. I'm dead serious. I don't want it looking anywhere near what the euro showed until like 12z Tuesday. When has a 200+ prog looked exactly like the actual prediction.

Randy, you've gotten better at being an educated weenie.   I'd take the GFS in a heart beat at 144 hours as the 500h looks really close to being a good hit and would suggest to me the precipitation would get up to us.  That said,  I could still see it ending up a miller b and screwing us.  It's way too early to say but out to sea is better as storms come north more often than they come south unless you have a mega block and strongly negative NAO.

This!!!!!!

Op runs will continue to bounce around so getting one great run is ok but we don't want it locking in on the perfect solution now. It's never going to be exactly right this far out.

I know, I know...I am all better now.. I went to work and got my mind off of it for 8 hours.. The next thing I really want to see is run to run consistency supporting a storm developing in the gulf. If we can get that within say 120 hours... Then I will start to buy in. Wes made a good case for an improving pattern moving in to late week... So if we can just hold on to the gulf idea... We could get lucky with the right timing.

These run are starting to get fun...I still think outside of day 5-6, there are no discrete threats, just windows....and we have a lot of windows of opportunity coming up.  Hopefully we cash in...

Matt, I agree that after about  day 5 or 6 all we are really talking about are windows of opportunity.  Loolks like we'll have a few coming up.  

The 18z was by far the most active model run of the season. Plenty of chances and plenty of cold.

It was, indeed, pretty damned active looking.  I also took a peek at the Polar view on NCEP's MAG page, just to get a better idea of what might be going on at the Pole.  Haven't looked much at that perspective lately.  Toward the end of the run, it showed high heights right over the Pole with what appeared to be an extension toward Greenland (whatever that might be worth).  You can kind of see it evolve and push over the Polar region.

gfs_polar_384_500_vort_ht.gif

These run are starting to get fun...I still think outside of day 5-6, there are no discrete threats, just windows....and we have a lot of windows of opportunity coming up.  Hopefully we cash in...

And we still have the real chance of reaching average. This January so far has removed the feel of those <5" DCA winters we've experienced in the last five years. Looking at the recent seasons that ended up somewhat respectable/near either median or average- 98/99, 99/00, 03/04, 04/05, 05/06, 06/07, 10/11-- they've all had four to eight accumulating events total. So, as long as the windows heading forward don't look hostile, a "respectable season" is still the goal for me. 3 or 4 more events from now through the end of March does not seem at this point unlikely. 

And we still have the real chance of reaching average. This January so far has removed the feel of those <5" DCA winters we've experienced in the last five years. Looking at the recent seasons that ended up somewhat respectable/near either median or average- 98/99, 99/00, 03/04, 04/05, 05/06, 06/07, 10/11-- they've all had four to eight accumulating events total. So, as long as the windows heading forward don't look hostile, a "respectable season" is still the goal for me. 3 or 4 more events from now through the end of March does not seem at this point unlikely. 

For my backyard I'd put the over/under for measurable events from now through the end of March at 5.5.

Guys, don't forget that last winter didn't really start until Jan 21....outside of one pretty good week in early December, we were really at almost the same spot wrt snow. And many here didn't have that good week in Dec. Maybe Matt can chime in...his snow total now might be higher than it was on this date last year.

Guys, don't forget that last winter didn't really start until Jan 21....outside of one pretty good week in early December, we were really at almost the same spot wrt snow. And many here didn't have that good week in Dec. Maybe Matt can chime in...his snow total now might be higher than it was on this date last year.

Last winter at this point I had 4".  I currently have 3.5", and for me, 1/6/15 was a better storm all around than the 1/2-3/14.  Of course I am not expecting 14" in March.  But reaching median IMBY (12-13") is certainly not unreasonable.  Here is a piece of what I posted on FB earlier about the next 5 weeks. 

https://www.facebook.com/HeadfulOfSnow

"I would put the over/under on snow between now and February 20th for DC proper at around the median. Meaning, I think we have equal chances of exceeding or failing to reach 7" during the 5 week period."

Archived