Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
January Med/Long Range Disco Part 2

WinterWxLuvr

• Replies 751
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You know whats horrible with this run, you literally have no highs over the Great Lakes and New England.  The timing just doesn't seem right.  Its amazing how many model runs we go through.  I mean, hitting the next button to reach 240 to see a big storm really sucks.  Its a shame we just can't develop the block.  Even be nice to see the subtropical jet get going over the deep south.  This El Nino just hasn't delivered the active storm track.  I mean, when was the last time we saw a big low wrap up along the East Coast.. What back in November.  Maybe will close out this one with a bang.  Anyway, yep frustrating if you want the big snow.. 

this will end up being a purely northern stream event. Ive seen that too...our Miller A's become northern stream storms

track is ok. i think we knew this was going to be a thread the needle if it happens. it's pretty far away. 

You know whats horrible with this run, you literally have no highs over the Great Lakes and New England.  The timing just doesn't seem right.  Its amazing how many model runs we go through.  I mean, hitting the next button to reach 240 to see a big storm really sucks.  Its a shame we just can't develop the block.  Even be nice to see the subtropical jet get going over the deep south.  This El Nino just hasn't delivered the active storm track.  I mean, when was the last time we saw a big low wrap up along the East Coast.. What back in November.  Maybe will close out this one with a bang.  Anyway, yep frustrating if you want the big snow.. 

what El Nino?

it went neutral over the last 14 days

http://www1.ncdc.noaa.gov/pub/data/oisst/navy-anom-bb.gif

http://www.esrl.noaa.gov/psd/map/clim/sst.anom.anim.week.html

this week's numbers

Nino1+2      Nino3        Nino34        Nino4 Week          SST SSTA     SST SSTA     SST SSTA     SST SSTA
 07JAN2015     23.7-0.2     25.9 0.4     27.0 0.4     29.1 0.7

Hey I woundnt sweat it.. We all know the story... Big hit in the long range then lose it in the mid range... Then like clockwork it comes back with a vengeance. Besides... something looked funny to me about that the way the gfs was handling it this past run. Definitely an outlier.

HPC has 1024 over SW Ontario next Thursday, with a low on the SC coast.

I guess its just for down there

barely.. looks like it's just more fuzzy with the precip. around here it's just light stuff for panels on end. can see the low but it's weak compared to the op. it's a pretty boring ensemble run overall. 

No -NAO to be found. But I guess we should expect that at this point. ;)

I think the AO is weakly negative but the NAO is still pretty positive.  Glad I don't do seasonal outlooks as Cohen and the supposed MJO would have had me biting.  Heck, I've had trouble with the  second week of 2 week forecasts this year.  I just hope Ji at least gets a few inches of snow like the euro is showing so I can declare a Pyrrhic victory.  You wait, by late Feb and March when I don't want snow there will be snowstorms galore to write about. 

I think the AO is weakly negative but the NAO is still pretty positive. Glad I don't do seasonal outlooks as Cohen and the supposed MJO would have had me biting. Heck, I've had trouble with the second week of 2 week forecasts this year. I just hope Ji at least gets a few inches of snow like the euro is showing so I can declare a Pyrrhic victory. You wait, by late Feb and March when I don't want snow there will be snowstorms galore to write about.

now I see why your name is used to be:)

I think the AO is weakly negative but the NAO is still pretty positive.  Glad I don't do seasonal outlooks as Cohen and the supposed MJO would have had me biting.  Heck, I've had trouble with the  second week of 2 week forecasts this year.  I just hope Ji at least gets a few inches of snow like the euro is showing so I can declare a Pyrrhic victory.  You wait, by late Feb and March when I don't want snow there will be snowstorms galore to write about. 

Yeah looks that way. Not sure we'll ever see a good negative NAO again though. :P

Definitely not a shutout pattern per se but seems no good trends last long with that stuff. 

Amazing how things can turn on a dime with these models. About 2 days ago, we were looking forward to a negative NAO and AO and now squat. I prefer a negative AO since that's all we had last year and I got 14 inches from one of the snowstorms. So you don't need the block for a fine snowstorm, although I know that's what we need for the "Big One", most of the time. I am beginning to wonder about this year, unless the EURO storm verifies for us and I'd take .42 any day of the week, especially this year. 

Archived