northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
January Med/Long Range Disco Part 2

WinterWxLuvr

• Replies 751
  • Created
  • Last Reply

we always pay for a historic winter. One equation that wasnt thought of much in the seasonal outlook. next 4 years will probably suck until our next 80 inch winter

It's better to have seen snow melt than to have never seen snow before. 

we always pay for a historic winter. One equation that wasnt thought of much in the seasonal outlook. next 4 years will probably suck until our next 80 inch winter

We've had a good decade so far, especially if you count 09-10. My 5 year running average is obscenely high

I wouldn't go that far concerning winter.  But that storm late next week is not even on life support at this point.  Amazing turnaround in just a day or so.  Even the ensembles have come to look dubious about it.

Yeah, a frustrating turn but maybe some form of a storm makes a comeback by Monday. Ensembles have been very cold in the 10-15 day and tonight's GFS supports that. It just looks like after next weeks attempt at a storm the gulf is not open for business. If that holds true we're going to have to get lucky again with some clipper or wave like last year in January. I think with that type of cold some snow will fall but nothing significant. A couple days with highs in the teens are probably more likely than a  real snowstorm.

True, this storm was (is??) supposed to be a Friday-Saturday time frame.

Yeah somewhere in there. Sat focus overall I think. I'm not sure I'd write it off just yet.. the Euro today was a bit wonky.. not resolving stuff at range well I think.

Yeah, a frustrating turn but maybe some form of a storm makes a comeback by Monday. Ensembles have been very cold in the 10-15 day and tonight's GFS supports that. It just looks like after next weeks attempt at a storm the gulf is not open for business. If that holds true we're going to have to get lucky again with some clipper or wave like last year in January. I think with that type of cold some snow will fall but nothing significant. A couple days with highs in the teens are probably more likely than a  real snowstorm.

It kind of looks that way at this point.  Of course, the storm all but not appearing at this point kind of messes with what things had looked like right around and after it was supposed to occur.  The evolution of the flow around that time was very interesting.

Day 16 looks great on the 00zGFS.......... I'm biting hook line and sinker.

I'm all in for that bridge! LOL!  But seriously, that's some funky looking development there on the GFS in its later time frames.  Looks like two sections of Polar vortex rotate down into the Midwest and East, as part of a larger broad and deep trough.  Some d*mn cold air in there too.

Archived