joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter 2014-2015 Pattern Discussion Thread III

BIG FROSTY

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Boring... 2 members(including me) and 3 quests currently viewing this thread. The current and medium range definitely hold no hope for us.  Just looking at the 12z GFS it would be day 8 until we even get into a pattern that could produce.

That's what this forum needs:  A quest!  Three would be even better.

• We could go in search of the Holy Grail of snow, though that appears to be a Quixotic quest in the SE this year.
  • We could go in search of the One Ring that binds all weather together.
  • We could go in search of the Golden Fleece of models, that always gets it right 10 days out.

Just a few ideas to get us started.  ;)

Many have probably given up, but the new euro weeklies keep a +PNA all month into March with a -EPO...very tall ridges on this run throughout, lots of cold east. Fab Feb incoming or just dry cold? :weenie::snowing::shiver:

Hey Jon,

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for staying in the game!

Phil

I was reading LC's thoughts on FB and he's being optimistic (to say the least) for the period Around Valentines Day and after, even mentioning the words triple phaser.

I am not in agreement with him, but do see ways we could score something other than a major system with the PNA popping.

Agreed! It looks cold and dry, but with the ridge that tall and placement is just right , it would only take a small piece of energy coming up and over the ridge, diving down the Rockies, and get a little surprise in the gulf, or have a wave form along one of the many arctic fronts that look to be coming!

I was reading LC's thoughts on FB and he's being optimistic (to say the least) for the period Around Valentines Day and after, even mentioning the words triple phaser.

I am not in agreement with him, but do see ways we could score something other than a major system with the PNA popping.

The EPS day 10+ has that 93 look to it.

I have been watching the long range through the end of the month, and the pattern returns to a cooler than average state in approximately 5-7 days. With the positive PNA and the weak negative NAO, I believe the pattern will turn favorable for some sort of wintry weather the second half of February.

Like others have said, I am shocked at how boring and lackluster this winter has been. Only a few systems have produced, even in the northern part of the country.

I noticed around 174-180 hours out, a system cuts off in Mexico on the GFS and EURO. This could be a chance for a system to eject and hopefully track up the eastern seaboard, but you never really know how these systems eject.

We have had the cold air, but the moisture has been lacking. Wish there was something more concrete to latch onto in the long term; however, we appear to be just in a wait and see if we can get a system with the cold air around late next week into the third week of February.

Just for the record JB this evening speaking of plains on east---- Once that southern jet breaks through there will be great wailing and gnashing of teeth there

and to be clear, I still think Dallas and Atlanta will wind up with above normal snowfall this year.

The bolded is bold, on his behalf!

He probly gained a new subscriber though, wakeforestdud! :)

Despite all of the complaining and though many may not reach climo (since I don't have a crystal ball and we went through Dec/Jan with little to nothing), we're still in a position in the bulk of the SE to hit or even exceed average annual wintry precip. as it only takes one major storm to do so in many cases. The SE doesn't typically get a parade of winter storms. We're not in the mid-Atlantic. I know ATL's above average wintry precip. winters often result from just one significant to major storm. Even RDU's big winters are often highlighted by just one big storm. Just because many have yet to receive any wintry precip. does not at all mean that the Feb/Mar climo chances of getting a winter storm are diminished. Early winter storm activity has little correlation to late winter winter storm frequency in the SE. Furthermore, our weak Nino climo is more favorable than average for something to occur in Feb or Mar. With the modeled strong cold for the Midwest/NE and to a less extent in the SE (the SE is near the bottom of the Arctic airmasses, which is the most favorable setup), there's no reason at all to be so negative on our chances of getting a nice storm at some point imo. Furthermore, if we don't get one, we'll survive. 

See a couple of post with 93 being tossed around. That winter I was in Cullowhee. It was a dead horse winter until second half of February. Seems like we got a 4 or 5 inch snow if memory serves me correct. Then the superstorm hit 1st weekend in March. Want rehash all the glorious details, but it was very cold for a few days afterwards. In fact the Tuckasegee river was froze. Over almost completely and seems like we hit 0 the night after the storm had exited. Point is without looking up, winter was a dud until late Feb event and March superstorm.

Today's telecon report is brought to you by Chrysler Automotive, and the brand new 1974 Chrysler Cordoba with rich Corinthian leather:

attachicon.gifGS-007-01.jpg

attachicon.gifao_sprd2.jpg

attachicon.gifNCPE_phase_21m_small.jpg

attachicon.gif814temp_new.jpg

attachicon.gif814prcp_new.jpg

Basically (if your looking for wintery precip) everything is canceled out because of the last thing you show --- a dry forecast. Kind of like when I was in 3rd grade and the teacher put a long math problem like 23 + 45 - 18 x 3 ............... x 0     We worked the problem to the last calculation to find that the x 0 canceled out everything before it.

Archived