• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter 2014-2015 Pattern Discussion Thread III

BIG FROSTY

Both the GEFS and EPS show it more active day after day 10...the post Valentines Day massacre...thats what we will title of our next storm thread.

Yes, I am in full hype mode, we got 3 weeks left of Fab Feb and after the first few days of March RDU's snow climo comes to a screeching halt.  Ride it out strong.

post-2311-0-28401500-1423236811_thumb.pn

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Today's telecon report is brought to you by Chrysler Automotive, and the brand new 1974 Chrysler Cordoba with rich Corinthian leather:

attachicon.gifGS-007-01.jpg

attachicon.gifao_sprd2.jpg

attachicon.gifNCPE_phase_21m_small.jpg

attachicon.gif814temp_new.jpg

attachicon.gif814prcp_new.jpg

Great stuff CR, We fixing to have the best weather we could possible have, VERY COLD & DRY.  :axe:  #unrealwinter

Basically (if your looking for wintery precip) everything is canceled out because of the last thing you show --- a dry forecast. Kind of like when I was in 3rd grade and the teacher put a long math problem like 23 + 45 - 18 x 3 ............... x 0     We worked the problem to the last calculation to find that the x 0 canceled out everything before it.

Very frustrating that we're looking to really lock into a colder pattern for a while, and at the same exact time, everything dries up.  As wet as it's been this year, soon as it gets cold....it dries up.  :facepalm:

I looked back at the last 60 years or so of all the winters below 3" of seasonal snowfall, for RDU, and not one of them had Jan-Feb below average for temps.  We are almost certain to have this Jan-Feb average below normal, possibly -3F or lower.  There's just no way we are going to finish below 3" for snow....or could we...it just doesn't happen.  

Edit:  We will finish DJF below normal too.

post-2311-0-81263900-1423237356_thumb.pn

post-2311-0-88713200-1423237360_thumb.pn

I looked back at the last 60 years or so of all the winters below 3" of seasonal snowfall, for RDU, and not one of them had Jan-Feb below average for temps.  We are almost certain to have this Jan-Feb average below normal, possibly -3F or lower.  There's just no way we are going to finish below 3" for snow....or could we...it just doesn't happen.  

Probably so with the way our luck has been this winter.

It simply means it has hasn't happened in the short time of 60 years.  It most certainly will, and this could definitely be the year.

Probably so with the way our luck has been this winter.

It simply means it has hasn't happened in the short time of 60 years.  It most certainly will, and this could definitely be the year.

Won't you get some satisfaction with doing something that hasn't been done, I will.

Basically (if your looking for wintery precip) everything is canceled out because of the last thing you show --- a dry forecast. Kind of like when I was in 3rd grade and the teacher put a long math problem like 23 + 45 - 18 x 3 ............... x 0     We worked the problem to the last calculation to find that the x 0 canceled out everything before it.

Lol that's funny!

Thanks! Hopefully, Pack is right, and the GEFS and ENS is right about getting some precipitation in here so that it isn't bone dry and Brick goes crazy.

Went back a 100 years and I found 3 winters that were under 3" with below avg Jan-Feb temps.  All three winters did have measurable snow, roughly avg 1.50".  Interestingly enough 1941 and 1942 were both +ENSO/+PDO, :axe: .  

So in 100 years we have never had Jan-Feb with below avg temps and not had measurable snow, only 3 times has it been under 3".  So 1-3" looks like a given sometime in the next few weeks... :whistle:

A theme of the crappy winters below is the much colder NE.

post-2311-0-60179500-1423243669_thumb.pn

Until then, we'll continue to admire our tracemen as the shutout* continues. ;)

LOL...and we get to watch BOS get buried, again and again and again the rest of this winter.  

I will get some enjoyment out of watching them get event after event this winter.  This will be there 3rd well above avg winter in a row, 4 out of the past 5,....but you have to pay the piper eventually.   Over the past 8 years they are running 130% of climo, including this winter, and they are going to add onto it, a lot.

The Euro is actually kind of close to a little something for some areas of NC around D4-5, BTW...

Anyways, in more realistic news, the CFS is looking colder and colder for March.  Marvelous March, here we come...  :violin:

I think our best bet is right at the end of the cold snap. You can see on the Euro and GFS when it's trying to break it down day 10 moisture is incoming. 

I've strayed away from the forums and model watching in general over the past couple days, if for no other reason a mental break for what has been a disappointing winter (precip-wise).

But...my attention was focused today on the cold that the GFS is advertising for Day 7-10...the kind of cold that could put East Tennessee, SoApps, Western North Carolina at or below freezing for a 3-4 day period.

I see major western ridge amplification on the GFS, why should I buy that given how it has shown that numerous times in the last 6 weeks only for it to get beaten down?

Won't you get some satisfaction with doing something that hasn't been done, I will.

Pack, I've been meaning to ask you, when you look at RDU years with snow less than an inch (or in the most recent case, 3"), are you looking at things like ice events or sleet events too? You usually only mention snow. Reason I mention it is because, even if we get less than an inch of snow, if we had a few sleet or zr events, it would still seem like a winter. If this winter goes snowless, it will fall into the category of your RDU less than an inch winters. But I wonder how many of those winters featured not just no snow but also no wintry weather whatsoever, like this one is shaping up to do? Cause right now, this has to be near the top of the list in the "no winter weather at all" category. Is what I'm saying making sense?

Pack, I've been meaning to ask you, when you look at RDU years with snow less than an inch (or in the most recent case, 3"), are you looking at things like ice events or sleet events too? You usually only mention snow. Reason I mention it is because, even if we get less than an inch of snow, if we had a few sleet or zr events, it would still seem like a winter. If this winter goes snowless, it will fall into the category of your RDU less than an inch winters. But I wonder how many of those winters featured not just no snow but also no wintry weather whatsoever, like this one is shaping up to do? Cause right now, this has to be near the top of the list in the "no winter weather at all" category. Is what I'm saying making sense?

The numbers I have is just snow. This rivals a 90's winter with the lack of any wintery precip, there is no doubting this is the worst winter I can remember. If this cold comes to fruition for Feb and we finish Jan/Feb solidly below avg for temps and don't get measurable snow then it would be at the top of worst winters.

RDU saw a few flakes in Dec but that's been it. I guess we had a trace of freezing drizzle in Jan.

Edit: one reason I do hope we get nothing the rest of the way, just suck it up and hope we are bottoming. It can't get worse...

I've been thinking the same thing. ZR can easily be overlooked since it isn't shown as SN. ZR is every bit as wintry as SN to most. When I mention past ATL winters, sig. ZR is always included. The problem is getting the ZR data. For ATL major ZR, it took many days of studying individual days of temp's/precip on the internet followed by going to the library to look at old newspapers. So, it is admittedly not an easy task.

Regarding IP: yes, it is included in SN totals. However, 1" of IP is far more sig than 1" of SN since the water content is way higher. For ATL, I figured out the mainly IP storms both based on memory since 1979 as well as checking newspapers pre-1979.

Feb. of 1968 is coming up repeatedly in NWS analogs now.

I would welcome another Feb. 1968! That is a great  example of a very cold but dry month that had several wintry precip events over most of the SE, some sig. Feb. of 1895 was also a great wintry month that was dry by the way. We can deal with dry. Basically, just about every precip. event after the first few days of the month of Feb. 1968 was wintry in some areas due to a very far south storm track. ATL had three different accum. SN's, including a mutliincher 2/29! SAV had a major SN (tied for the largest since the mid 1800's...3.6") on 2/8 along with two other traces! Having three different SN's in one month is practically unheard of there. CHS had 1.3" on 2/22 along with three other days of traces and ZR on 2/24! MCN got 1" on 2/21, 1.9" on 2/23-4, and another 5 days of T's!! Much of AL. NC, and TN also got above avg wintry wx.

JB continuing his statements that South is still gonna see a brutal finish to winter and above normal snowfall for many!!

Just read his tweets, just pure stupidity...he essentially is saying everyone east of Colorado is going to see big snows rest of winter. LOL, he is just flailing trying to save his winter forecast.

Archived