• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter 2014-2015 Pattern Discussion Thread III

BIG FROSTY

If u watched his video yesterday he showed winter picking up down further south starting next week and getting more active the further into feb. No he didn't say in our back yard but never does. Look at his winter forecast

I like jb but his snowfall forecast is not going to pan out for some of us.

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here are the dates for which I've found a 3.5" plus official ATL snow and/or 1.5”+ sleet event since 3/1876 (39 of them or one every 3.5 years):

DEC: 2, 3-6, 11-13, 29

JAN: 1, 2-3, 7, 7-8, 9, 9-10, 12, 18, 18-19, 22, 23, 23, 26, 28, 29-30

FEB: 10, 11-12, 11-12, 12, 12-13, 14-15, 15, 15, 15-16, 17-18, 21, 23, 24-25, 26

MAR: 1, 2, 11, 13, 14, 24

Feb. 10th is the median. So, we're still nearly a week away from the median of ATL major SN/IP.

I bolded the most concentrated 9 day period of the winter for major SN/IP in ATL (ZR's excluded): 2/10-18, which had a whopping 10 major SN/IP at ATL or one every 14 winters. Keep in mind that this period is progged to be a very cold period (as suggested by the models) for the Midwest and NE due to several strong Arctic highs traversing the Midwest. What's missing is moist WSW 500 mb flow while each high passes us to the north. The trough axis is too far east. If that doesn't change, there would almost certainly be little or no wintry precip. in ATL and vicinity. Let's see if that changes.

Strangely enough, ATL had none during the 10 days 1/31-2/9 in nearly 140 years! I have no explanation. Again, this excludes ZR's. There were several major ZR's in early Feb.

Note that 1894-5 had two major SN's in ATL and both were in mid Feb. MAR of 1960 has 3 major winter storms after DJF had virtually no wintry precip. 1978-9 had two major winter storms and both were in Feb. after today's date. So, though none may end up occurring obviously, it isn't over til it's over even though no specific threat can be identified for ATL at this time.

Here is the latest telecom report, brought to you by Oscar Mayer sliced bologna: Oscar Mayer has a way with B-O-L-O-G-N-A.

attachicon.gifao_sprd2.jpg

attachicon.gifECMF_phase_MANOM_51m_small.jpg

And a sad bonus:

attachicon.gifpromo247118204_0_01.jpg

It's not a bad look CR.

The PNA looks to go solidly positive(great). The NAO looks to average neutral-ish (that as good as we've seen this year), and the AO looks to be the wild card (have no idea what it will do).  

The middle to last part of February is probably our real last chance for a widespread SE winter storm. These indices at least keep that chance alive.  

It's not a bad look CR.

The PNA looks to go solidly positive(great). The NAO looks to average neutral-ish (that as good as we've seen this year), and the AO looks to be the wild card (have no idea what it will do).

The middle to last part of February is probably our real last chance for a widespread SE winter storm. These indices at least keep that chance alive.

yeah that is the best look we have seen all winter.

JB with the shoutout to us:

@BigJoeBastardi: @BigJoeBastardi SE.. southern branch will break through ala JMA week 3/4 lead to winter weather pushing into se after cold hits and holds

8 agree with his thought just looking at the telleconnections. Ironically we enter into a favorable period at the very end of winter.

You guys be careful looking at the long lead stuff and trusting it. We've seen the AO and NAO go negative, along with arctic highs, STJs, and southern snowstorms countless times at long leads this winter. Why is this time going to be different? It might be, but why is it more likely now?

You guys be careful looking at the long lead stuff and trusting it. We've seen the AO and NAO go negative, along with arctic highs, STJs, and southern snowstorms countless times at long leads this winter. Why is this time going to be different? It might be, but why is it more likely now?

Agreed.  I have little faith in any modification of the +NAO and I bet the PNA ridge is much less amplified than progged.  It's happened all winter. 

the ao is actually negative know so that has changed. The nao looks meh but the pna looks to be a sure thing because it pretty much has been positive all winter and also of course things look better heading out of winter!

the ao is actually negative know so that has changed. The nao looks meh but the pna looks to be a sure thing because it pretty much has been positive all winter and also of course things look better heading out of winter!

We'll see...the AO looks to go positive soon. The PNA has been positive, but it has not been helpful to us in that it has been either in the wrong location or too flat and broad to help us. Looking at its configuration on the operational models, it looks to remain that way for a good while. It's better than nothing, though.

We'll see...the AO looks to go positive soon. The PNA has been positive, but it has not been helpful to us in that it has been either in the wrong location or too flat and broad to help us. Looking at its configuration on the operational models, it looks to remain that way for a good while. It's better than nothing, though.

well CR we will see. I might be grasping at straws here. Time is running out though.

Agreed, **we're currently losing the game but we have the ball, there's little bit if time left, and we got some good /ok players on the field. We've had a few interceptions and fumbles but this is a new drive....

Why do I see us throwing a pass on the one yard line with time running out.  That never seems to end well.

Why do I see us throwing a pass on the one yard line with time running out.  That never seems to end well.

From now on , our pattern this winter will be known as SHO: SeaHawksOscillation!

Looks ok, has some potential, then screws the pooch

LOL.... To both of you, it is probably the most likely outcome. But (honestly) we are near the end of our season and if we're going to root for a particular pattern to present itself this is the one that could save us. Many outside the mountains will start losing snow chances/probabilities at this end of this month. Our whole winter (in since of the greater SE) may hinge on the last two weeks of February.     

LOL.... To both of you, it is probably the most likely outcome. But (honestly) we are near the end of our season and if we're going to root for a particular pattern to present itself this is the one that could save us. Many outside the mountains will start losing snow chances/probabilities at this end of this month. Our whole winter (in since of the greater SE) may hinge on the last two weeks of February.     

Yep.  Our normal high temp has already risen three degrees from the yearly minimum.  Once we get into March, any snow that falls doesn't hang around very long.

Boring... 2 members(including me) and 3 quests currently viewing this thread. The current and medium range definitely hold no hope for us.  Just looking at the 12z GFS it would be day 8 until we even get into a pattern that could produce.

This has been the most boring winter I can remember so far. :axe:

Many have probably given up, but the new euro weeklies keep a +PNA all month into March with a -EPO...very tall ridges on this run throughout, lots of cold east. Fab Feb incoming or just dry cold? :weenie::snowing::shiver:

Jon I like the upcoming pattern. The weeklies have been showing this for a couple of weeks coming together for the East. Whether we get anything or not is to be debatable but it looks like we may have a chance.

Archived