• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x
January Banter

mackerel_sky

Back off, and I mean right now. You in way over your head here.

How so? It's merely just a matter of opinion in the end for one, and secondly the data is sitting right in front of me, it wouldn't take too terribly long (a few days at the very most) to reproduce a temperature distribution for Raleigh in January since 1887. The comment was not meant to be taken in derogatory manner, I was completely serious when I virtually outright stated that I care more about the actual data itself than the degree nwp holds.

• Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is from the NWS in Raleigh. They define the "normal" temperature range with about 18-20 degree spread, meaning that +/- 8-10F from "average" is considered normal or seasonable. Thus far this month Raleigh has averaged about -1.45F below normal, the winter thus far since December 1st, +.234, both are fairly close to normal in their own respect.

Raleigh-NC-Average-Temperature-851x1024.

The US temperature distribution in the first half of the month closely followed my Warm Neutral-Weak El Nino composites, however just like in December, a more "traditional" El Nino look is trying to take over w/ the core of the cold being centered towards Texas... We should end up w/ the core of the coldest anoms. vs normals in the SE US & on the E coast in February, which is essentially a colder modification of December in a broad sense.

ncep_cfsr_noram_t2m_anom.png

US-Winter-Monthly-Temps-DJF-El-Nino-Plac

Ok then, I'm going to ask the same question as Dacula, what do you define as "normal" or seasonable, because this is obviously going against what the NWS & I think. 

Webber, the "normal" range on the chart has to do with what is the normal high and low only. You are misreading its purpose.

Webber, the "normal" range on the chart has to do with what is the normal high and low only. You are misreading its purpose.

No, that graph shows the normal "temperature range" in Raleigh NC, (the ends of the blue bars are the respective high & low temperatures for the day) and this spread in temperatures comes out to be around 18-20F, divide by 2 & you have a valid approximation for what the NWS thinks is "seasonable" in terms of max/min temperature departures from normal...

Who cares about torching temps at 5 days out? It'll work itself out just like the Friday storm!

Cold is ALWAYS most important part of wintry event in the south!!

Rates will overcome all. We're good!

Hopefully we do not get another cold March. Two of them in a row is enough. I'm hoping for a March like 2012.

I'd take a March 2014 redux. It would help make this winter bearable.

I'm with Eric on this one. I want to hear what "seasonable" is from a doctor. 

And not to take anything away from anyone with a doctorate... you have more desire than I did to get those degrees, but I work in the K-12 education side of things and have worked around more "doctors" than I care to count, and I've gotta say, I'm not impressed. And again, no offense to nwp nor is this directed toward him at all, but in the grand scheme of things, doctors have got to be some of the most stupid people I've ever met.I'm sure they know their specialty, but most of the ones I've met sure are missing a lot of common sense. 

So when people start throwing around the "I'm a doctor" line, a big red flag goes up for me.

It's going to snow soon. Bank in it!

Remember that haircut deal I posted about? Well, The wife and I just got back from Great Clips, and our hair is so short we won't need another one until 'sweaty' weather! So, we're currently without our natural insulation from the cold and elements!

What does being a youngin have to do with anything? Just because he's younger and not just agreeing with someone for the sake of respect doesn't make him disrespectful. He's trying to make a point, prove him wrong or move on, but don't look down on him for debating weather on a weather forum because he doesn't have a degree yet vs someone that does.

What does being a youngin have to do with anything? Just because he's younger and not just agreeing with someone for the sake of respect doesn't make him disrespectful. He's trying to make a point, prove him wrong or move on, but don't look down on him for debating weather on a weather forum because he doesn't have a degree yet vs someone that does.

Agreed. I can guarantee you that when it comes to weather, he can run circles around 90% of the people in this SE forum including myself. I see brilliance in this kid. 

I'm with Eric on this one. I want to hear what "seasonable" is from a doctor. 

And not to take anything away from anyone with a doctorate... you have more desire than I did to get those degrees, but I work in the K-12 education side of things and have worked around more "doctors" than I care to count, and I've gotta say, I'm not impressed. And again, no offense to nwp nor is this directed toward him at all, but in the grand scheme of things, doctors have got to be some of the most stupid people I've ever met.I'm sure they know their specialty, but most of the ones I've met sure are missing a lot of common sense. 

So when people start throwing around the "I'm a doctor" line, a big red flag goes up for me.

An explanation could be perhaps this individual deals more so w/ longer term NWP or climate, hence their opinion on what is a "normal" temperature range appears appreciably smaller than ours. That being said, nwp & I have settled our disagreement & moved on...

It's one thing to know something.  It's another thing entirely to communicate it.  A degree doesn't make someone special...and neither does some pretty charts and graphs.

Then wth do we have red tags? lol 

Also, A smart guy with no tact is not going to go far in life.  The amount of self inflicted obstacles Webber will face in life is enormous.  I kind of feel sorry for the guy.  Lots of potential but will likely never realize much of it due to social awkwardness.  You can't challenge every single thing every single person says.  You end up with a result that isolates

i see high intelligence in as you say "this kid" i also see great jealousy of him among those that hold power around here and their pals.......and it has been my experience some of the least intelligent folks i have met have "letters" behind their names......and some of the brightest folks i have met have almost no formal education.

Also, A smart guy with no tact is not going to go far in life.  The amount of self inflicted obstacles Webber will face in life is enormous.  I kind of feel sorry for the guy.  Lots of potential but will likely never realize much of it due to social awkwardness.  You can't challenge every single thing every single person says.  You end up with a result that isolates

Let me see... how socially awkward were you as a sophomore in college? Or even now?

Feel sorry? He's going to go on and be a well respected meteorologist, while we sit here and just jaw about weather. 

I have no idea, but I'll bet Webber and really most everyone on here is very nice in person and probably a lot of fun to be around.  That's great.  But the world writes.  And if you only care about data and don't care about people and relationships and how you come across, it's going to come through in how you write.  And those you're writing to will get the wrong impression of you personally or misinterpret your intent, neither of which helps the case you're making or your credibility.

Archived