northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
January Banter

mackerel_sky

• Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You and I live in the southeast. He lives near Raleigh. Our climates are way different than his.

Yeah, but he keeps saying that its warm days before snow usually happens. No **** sherlock, we don't live in the Midwest. This isn't 2009-10 with wall to wall cold. We live in the SE. Not sure why he keeps saying that.

Maybe that thing will get some of us in SC too. That clipper reminds me a little of Jan 2003 when some of the SC and NC foothills and piedmont areas ended up with a big snow.

Was that the one where Inman got like 10 inches? They kept calling for 1-3 and raised it to 3-5 and it started about midnight or so?

Interesting article...specifically this comment, of course this was 12 years ago though.

The GFS did not produce this area of convective precipitation. Instead, it produced widespread, lighter QPF across much of western North Carolina and Virginia. Interestingly, the model that seemed to handle the event best was the Canadian model. We have noticed several times in recent years the Canadian regional model has been one of the most consistent and accurate models when it comes to wintry weather in the western Carolinas and northeast Georgia 

Hail the clipper, it will deliver.

Though I think it actually will if your expectations aren't too high in NC and maybe upstate SC/N GA (more sketchy there).  Maybe this will be our one storm of the winter to avoid being skunked (which would be historically unprecedented).  At least it won't be a slop/slush storm, so that's good.

ELO is da bomb! Seriously, they're one of my favorites and Jeff Lynn mentioned wx in a lot of songs.

Right on man, i love me some ELO an yes he's a truly expectional artist. Wish these new artist wud learn from guys like jeff, these guys had meaning with the words along with a hell of a beat. This pop crap today just dont cut it....pathetic really.

Edit: My bad guys on the spelling my phones keyboard bein acting a lil funky. Bout to throw this damn thang lol wont be the first lol stupid smartphones

Really don't get all the negativity about the storm Fri/Sat, WNC is still easily in the game for this system and I've said that for 2 days now. Everyone seems to have problems remembering how the models handle winter precip in the Carolinas. Too many times that not we have a great looking storm in the LR, 'lose' it, and reel it in about 2-3 days out. That's this system to a T.

Also for everyone with high hopes for the clipper...how many times have you seen models show it making it over the Mtns and it actually verifying? Hardly ever. The only way I see it doing much outside the mtns would be to have a low develop of the NC/SC which I've seen happen before.

Really don't get all the negativity about the storm Fri/Sat, WNC is still easily in the game for this system and I've said that for 2 days now. Everyone seems to have problems remembering how the models handle winter precip in the Carolinas. Too many times that not we have a great looking storm in the LR, 'lose' it, and reel it in about 2-3 days out. That's this system to a T.

Also for everyone with high hopes for the clipper...how many times have you seen models show it making it over the Mtns and it actually verifying? Hardly ever. The only way I see it doing much outside the mtns would be to have a low develop of the NC/SC which I've seen happen before.

Two very good points, Nelson.  I'm still more hopeful for the Fri/Sat event than for the Mon clipper.

Archived