• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
January Banter

mackerel_sky

I know in the past we have had days around my area like today and yesterday with temps in the 60s and sun, only to be followed by snow not too long afterwards. Hopefully, we can get the pendulum to swing the other way starting next week.

This isn't the 1980s anymore. We know when snow is coming and when it's not. It doesn't natter if its 90. It snows when the pattern allows it to snow. The only potential I see is the January 27th clipper. That should be the one to watch.

• Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know in the past we have had days around my area like today and yesterday with temps in the 60s and sun, only to be followed by snow not too long afterwards. Hopefully, we can get the pendulum to swing the other way starting next week.

We've also had days in the 60s like yesterday followed by days in the 90s in the summer.

Do you even know what, pot meet kettle, means? You told backpacker that he was spouting garbage.

A few minutes you started whining about being attacked by Buckeye for her "pot meet kettle" comment. That is the textbook definition of, "pot meet kettle". Stick to weather.

As I mentioned to lookout, I am upset because quite frankly, the rather unambiguous cliff jumping that's been going on since at least mid December is getting very old, especially at this point in the winter... Perhaps I should have worded my response differently, but Pack's claim that this is somehow analogous to 2009/10 for Washington DC & Baltimore and that they've been doing well this winter is completely unfounded on several levels, I chose to address only the actual snowfall to date for brevity. 

:lol:  Grasping at straws now I see   :lol:    

I'm the nicest person you know, you just can't see anything threw your ego  :pimp:

In all seriousness, I'm sure you are. If your first comment didn't have such a negative connotation, this confrontation wouldn't have transpired...

As I mentioned to lookout, I am upset because quite frankly, the rather unambiguous cliff jumping that's been going on since at least mid December is getting very old, especially at this point in the winter... Perhaps I should have worded my response differently, but Pack's claim that this is somehow analogous to 2009/10 for Washington DC & Baltimore and that they've been doing well this winter is completely unfounded on several levels, I chose to address only the actual snowfall to date for brevity. 

In all seriousness, I'm sure you are. If your first comment didn't have such a negative connotation, this confrontation wouldn't have transpired...

Packs claim that this winter has sucked to date is truth. Sometimes the truth hurts. There was no need for you to comment on his post to begin with, but you did, and this is what happens because you always have to be right. 

If you wouldn't have commented to begin with, you wouldn't have been told to meet the kettle. 

You do realize the "Cliff Jumping" is a figure of speech and no one is going anywhere ...Right? I'm suprised a person of your superior intelect would let something like this bother you.

Saying there have been days in the 60s in winter before a snowstorm has no more bearing on getting snow within the next three days than saying a bird crapped on my car window and it snowed 3 days later.

:lmao: ...Good news...a bird crapped on my truck yesterday.

As I mentioned to lookout, I am upset because quite frankly, the rather unambiguous cliff jumping that's been going on since at least mid December is getting very old, especially at this point in the winter...

Wether or not it is getting old to you, it might be good to realize that the current score is Cliff Jumpers 92 - Snow Hounds 1.

In any case, you need to learn that you can't control other peoples feelings, views and actions. You are only in control of how you react to them. That is what you are judged on, and is the area where you are finding difficulty.

In defense of Webber, packbacker made the following bolded statement:

/snip

We went through something like this, but not as bad in the 40's and 50's and then the 60'-80's were awesome.   They say this crap works in 25-30 year cycles and we are right at 26 years of being pathetic.  So, I guess by 2020 we might see a change for the better.  Until then, head to NoVA the snow capital of the world.

To which Webber responded with the bolded:

Yeah, ok, just so we get this straight, you do realize that Washington DC and Baltimore have been well below normal snowfall-wise this year, it's not even close

/snip

And then Webber proceeded to present his data to back it up.

I think packbacker would freely admit that he was the one initially whining and complaining in the thread this morning.  He does that from time to time as it is part of his image.  Packbacker is a self-admitted pessimist when it comes to RDU snowfall chances.  And, it's fine.  We all know that about him.

But if pack is going to complain, Webber should be allowed to rebut his complaint.  Sure, Webber might have been a little "rude" in the manner in which he stated it, but it's not any different from many other posts I see routinely posted in the banter thread.  There's no need to pile on and lead him to getting himself five-posted or banned.  (And, yes, each person is responsible for his/her own actions, so Webber would still be ultimately responsible if those penalties were enacted.)  But, the follow-up posts after the initial exchange between Webber and packbacker (who seemed to take the post from Webber just fine) are almost a form of entrapment.  (And, no, I'm not going to post the legal code for entrapment as Webber felt the need to do for internet bullying a few days ago.  :D)

Webber, keep learning and dispensing the weather knowledge.  Develop your communication skills in how you spread that knowledge with humility, and you can go quite far.  And remember that there's always someone out there who's smarter than you, even if they don't happen to be in this subforum.  Regards.  :)

Packs claim that this winter has sucked to date is truth. Sometimes the truth hurts. There was no need for you to comment on his post to begin with, but you did, and this is what happens because you always have to be right. 

If you wouldn't have commented to begin with, you wouldn't have been told to meet the kettle. 

The truth does hurt... especially when we haven't even hit the halfway mark of the winter yet

I think packbacker would freely admit that he was the one initially whining and complaining in the thread this morning.  He does that from time to time as it is part of his image.  Packbacker is a self-admitted pessimist when it comes to RDU snowfall chances.  And, it's fine.  We all know that about him.

But if pack is going to complain, Webber should be allowed to rebut his complaint.  Sure, Webber might have been a little "rude" in the manner in which he stated it, but it's not any different from many other posts I see routinely posted in the banter thread.  There's no need to pile on and lead him to getting himself five-posted or banned.  (And, yes, each person is responsible for his/her own actions, so Webber would still be ultimately responsible if those penalties were enacted.)  But, the follow-up posts after the initial exchange between Webber and packbacker (who seemed to take the post from Webber just fine) are almost a form of entrapment.  (And, no, I'm not going to post the legal code for entrapment as Webber felt the need to do for internet bullying a few days ago.  :D)

Webber, keep learning and dispensing the weather knowledge.  Develop your communication skills in how you spread that knowledge with humility, and you can go quite far.  And remember that there's always someone out there who's smarter than you, even if they don't happen to be in this subforum.  Regards.  :)

That is the issue and his past/present posting habits reflect this. It's his need to prove himself right at all costs, that gets him into these situations. I'm not sure why I have even bothered to continually explain how he needs to correct the issue, instead of just banning him, because he doesn't bother to take anyone's advice.

The truth does hurt... especially when we haven't even hit the halfway mark of the winter yet

Just because some have jumped, doesn't mean everyone is following suit. I'll let you in on a little secret......there's an elevator at lookouts cliff so the cliff jumpers can enjoy the ride several times during the winter. Get used to it 

I think packbacker would freely admit that he was the one initially whining and complaining in the thread this morning. He does that from time to time as it is part of his image. Packbacker is a self-admitted pessimist when it comes to RDU snowfall chances. And, it's fine. We all know that about him.

But if pack is going to complain, Webber should be allowed to rebut his complaint. Sure, Webber might have been a little "rude" in the manner in which he stated it, but it's not any different from many other posts I see routinely posted in the banter thread. There's no need to pile on and lead him to getting himself five-posted or banned. (And, yes, each person is responsible for his/her own actions, so Webber would still be ultimately responsible if those penalties were enacted.) But, the follow-up posts after the initial exchange between Webber and packbacker (who seemed to take the post from Webber just fine) are almost a form of entrapment. (And, no, I'm not going to post the legal code for entrapment as Webber felt the need to do for internet bullying a few days ago. :D)

Webber, keep learning and dispensing the weather knowledge. Develop your communication skills in how you spread that knowledge with humility, and you can go quite far. And remember that there's always someone out there who's smarter than you, even if they don't happen to be in this subforum. Regards. :)

No disrespect to jburns or any other mod but, sometimes instaed of handling the situations.....they fuel it. Webber ur great man but some communication skills wud do u good i mean that positive too. Alot of people learn from your post but, alot of newbies "myself" included have a hard time understanding from time to time we not on ur level it takes our brain a min to your sec lol Keep up the good work my freind!

No disrespect to jburns or any other mod but, sometimes instaed of handling the situations.....they fuel it. Webber ur great man but some communication skills wud do u good i mean that positive too. Alot of people learn from your post but, alot of newbies "myself" included have a hard time understanding from time to time we not on ur level it takes our brain a min to your sec lol Keep up the good work my freind!

Edit: I like they way you put that calculus well put. Btw...last thing i wana do is offend anyone surley dont want to loose a good poster either.

We need a moderator in this thread and I mean pronto.

Oh, wait. ;)

That's the key point here!  We need new Mods!  Not these nazi mods who make the rules according to their "pet peeves" or make patronizing remarks towards others. This used to be a good forum, sadly alot of people do not post here anymore because of stuff like this!  Lookout is the best we have, we need more like him. JMO ... banter away!

That's the key point here!  We need new Mods!  Not these nazi mods who make the rules according to their "pet peeves" or make patronizing remarks towards others. This used to be a good forum, sadly alot of people do not post here anymore because of stuff like this!  Lookout is the best we have, we need more like him. JMO ... banter away!

:baby:

You do know how NOT to point your browser to this location right?

Call me a Nazi again and you'll experience one of my pet peeves.

Easy there, this is the banter thread, I backed up my claims about snow futility.  If we need to maybe we should have a banter thread for the realists and another banter thread for the optimists.  This winter has sucked, sucked big time, there is no debating that.  The reason I posted this in the banter as it's meant as banter.  I should go post in the discussion thread about the SOI is crashing, enso is perking up, the day 8 analogs have a ton of hits, so there is always a chance, keep you optimists from freaking out when someone posts winter has sucked.

Webber took it way to literal about the 09/10 redux statement, this is the banter thread people, take a chill pill.  If I had posted that in the discussion thread then that would be another thing.

Easy there, this is the banter thread, I backed up my claims about snow futility.  If we need to maybe we should have a banter thread for the realists and another banter thread for the optimists.  This winter has sucked, sucked big time, there is no debating that.  The reason I posted this in the banter as it's meant as banter.  I should go post in the discussion thread about the SOI is crashing, enso is perking up, the day 8 analogs have a ton of hits, so there is always a chance, keep you optimists from freaking out when someone posts winter has sucked.

Webber took it way to literal about the 09/10 redux statement, this is the banter thread people, take a chill pill.  If I had posted that in the discussion thread then that would be another thing.

Spot on.  I like you new avatar. :)

Greg Fishel's latest thoughts:

Back when I was in college or even the first 10 years of my time at WRAL, I would have looked at the maps these past few days with good ole fashioned meteorological lust! Why? A moist storm moving up the east coast, taking an almost perfect track for snow lovers, followed by a huge trough in the upper atmosphere early next week. Yes there was a time when I thought I knew everything, and that there were hard and fast rules when it came to forecasting. Many busts later, I came to find out that there are no simple rules. A storm track along the coast means nothing without a cold air mass either in place or very nearby. And a deep trough can be nothing more than a lot of cold air aloft, with admittedly below normal temperatures at the surface but nothing bitter. Such is the case now. Thus I stand by my bleak forecast for snow lovers through the end of January. But remember, there have been some great snows here in February and even March! Hope springs eternal!

Webber did not dispute your claims of snow futility for RDU.  He debated your anointing of NoVa as the snow capital of the world.

I didn't freak out over your posting of winter has sucked so far.  It has been boring and uneventful so far.  I'm also not worried about your lamenting of that fact.  It's who you are, pack.  It's cool.  You like to complain about it.  I see no need to post the obvious over and over.

Exactly.  This is the banter thread, which is why you didn't worry yourself too much with Webber's response.  You let it roll off your shoulders.  Other posters did not.  And, that's why we ended up with a big hullabaloo.  I have no issue with your posts in the banter thread, but nor do I have issues with Webber's.  If one is acceptable for banter, then so is the other.

Greg Fishel's latest thoughts:

Back when I was in college or even the first 10 years of my time at WRAL, I would have looked at the maps these past few days with good ole fashioned meteorological lust! Why? A moist storm moving up the east coast, taking an almost perfect track for snow lovers, followed by a huge trough in the upper atmosphere early next week. Yes there was a time when I thought I knew everything, and that there were hard and fast rules when it came to forecasting. Many busts later, I came to find out that there are no simple rules. A storm track along the coast means nothing without a cold air mass either in place or very nearby. And a deep trough can be nothing more than a lot of cold air aloft, with admittedly below normal temperatures at the surface but nothing bitter. Such is the case now. Thus I stand by my bleak forecast for snow lovers through the end of January. But remember, there have been some great snows here in February and even March! Hope springs eternal!

This is true but I have seen nothing on the models so far to get excited about.  If things change on the models, I'll be the first to admit I was wrong.  But it's going to take more than something showing up at hour 300 of the gfs for me to get excited.

I never liked texting or typing, much better to talk face to face. People take things in the wrong context up in here an let there emotions take over.

Yeah, context and emotion and tone are often hard to convey in written form.  In a one-off post or comment, it can be very easy to make an incorrect judgment about someone's intent.  However, it becomes easier to decipher over the course of many comments.  Patterns emerge and you can get to the point where you can make a pretty reasonable judgment about where someone is coming from.

This is true but I have seen nothing on the models so far to get excited about.  If things change on the models, I'll be the first to admit I was wrong.  But it's going to take more than something showing up at hour 300 of the gfs for me to get excited.

Check out the 6z GFS in the LR.  It's gonna hit...one of these times, right? :)

Archived