• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
January Med/Long Range Disco

WinterWxLuvr

It's silly, I know, but I like it when the area sees a snowfall like today to remind the atmosphere that it can snow down here. Feels like it can prime the pump for something legit thereafter. Probably the fuzzy good memories I have of 12/5/09 prelude to 12/19/09 and the 1/30/10 prelude to the twin blizzards a week later...

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Euro ensembles starting to like the d8-10 window. Growing coastal signal. Lots of snowy solutions showing up (I'm sure some are mixed bags). Mean snowfall is 2.5" but some big hits mixed in. This could be a great week.

Yup, even LWX mentioned it in their discussion.  

Cold and dry for the next 10 days before the warm/wet arrives.  I think we'll tack on a little more before the MLK day mild-up.  

there is alot of noise in the modeling for something next week but nothing stands out yet as far as timing or strength

As I've said before, I have no skill with strat stuff other than a 10k foot view. The current cold outbreak is coinciding with a strat split @ 10-30-50mbs. Don't know how connected it is but seems awful coincidental. Maybe HM or someone can explain further. The split was well modeled in advance but wasn't strong enough to keep it split as the strat vortex re-consolidates in just a couple days. 

However, the gfs is advertising another split in the 11-15 day range (most prominent @ 50mbs). Euro @ d8-10 is showing the strat vortex elongating again and becoming more disturbed. I suppose this has some significance and isn't a useless observation on my part but what it really means is over my head. 

That northern lobe that drops around northern Canada next Monday is what we need to keep an eye on. That's what seems to be getting in the way of the potential mid-week system on the models that diminishes any significant storm from forming. If it can either remain further north or come east quicker, it could help the situation. Of course there still could be some smaller ice/snow threat early next week if we can get a little wave to come far enough up the coast while the high and cold air is still around.

As I've said before, I have no skill with strat stuff other than a 10k foot view. The current cold outbreak is coinciding with a strat split @ 10-30-50mbs. Don't know how connected it is but seems awful coincidental. Maybe HM or someone can explain further. The split was well modeled in advance but wasn't strong enough to keep it split as the strat vortex re-consolidates in just a couple days. 

However, the gfs is advertising another split in the 11-15 day range (most prominent @ 50mbs). Euro @ d8-10 is showing the strat vortex elongating again and becoming more disturbed. I suppose this has some significance and isn't a useless observation on my part but what it really means is over my head. 

I think we'll have 1-2 event to track between 1/10 and 1/15 before the pattern relaxes.  I certainly hope so.  Because punting even a few days after 1/15 sucks big time.

The euro should overamp something soon, and give us all false hope...maybe even in 10 minutes

We're out of practice.  I look forward to staying up for multiple nights consecutively until 3am, running on 2 hours of sleep and then get a soul crushing run 24 to 36 hours before a threat and then plunging into depression upon realizing that it's not happening.   

If today is only an appetizer for a bigger event in the next 7-10 days then I would declare Dec-Jan saved winter wise. 

I didn't go through the whole list, but a couple others near the top half I checked had big precip events very near those dates.  One was definitely rain based on temps and another was probably snow, but not sure (temps were near freezing that day).  Getting a widespread 2-4"/3-6" storm before the pattern relaxes later next week would be huge.  Would give us a legit shot at climo+ if late Jan/Feb can perform.  

#4 is two days before Kennedy Inaugural storm (7.7" at DCA). #6 was the day of a moderate DC snowstorm (3.8" at DCA). #8 was the second day of a moderate snowstorm for the DC area (2.5" at DCA).

Nice, thanks for the follow up.  It's a decent setup just based on the 500mb features.  Strong +PNA with a good position of the ridge axis for a coastal storm, 50/50 feature for confluence/cold air.  AO and NAO both look fairly neutral.  

#1 and #3 analogs had nice moderate snow events for BWI just before those dates.

500hgt_comp_sup610.gif

for DCA it is way better than that.  5 of the ten analogs have snowstorms within 3 days of the centered mean.  

Jan 5, 2003.....3" 

Jan 19 1961....7"

Jan 22 2005 ...3"

Jan 16 1965....2.2"   

Jan 28, 1995...3.9

It's a pretty good 6-10 day. 

Had to edit the post as I misread my excell spreadsheet.

Archived