Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
January Med/Long Range Disco

WinterWxLuvr

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The bad years (2011-12, 2001-02) were way worse at this point. This feels more like 2006-07 or 2008-09.

well, I said so far and foreseeable future and there's nothing on the horizon for NE thru 1/15 and we have the clipper....maybe?

so this year would be worse than those years I believe thru 1/15

admittedly, I'm going on memory and "feel"

This winter reminds me of the period from 1972 to 1975 in New England.  It would get cold, but most of the storms went up the Ohio River Valley. I remember a lot of storms starting cold and ending up warm.  There must have been exceptions, but I don't have the data or the knowledge to interpret it.  I'm just an observer but wonder if there are some clues for us from those years?  

The Northeast has not had a cold winter that was snowless in quite awhile, to be honest we're very overdue for that.  I don't know if the MA has had one, I'd imagine 03-04 was probably close to it for some people that way.

The Northeast has not had a cold winter that was snowless in quite awhile, to be honest we're very overdue for that. I don't know if the MA has had one, I'd imagine 03-04 was probably close to it for some people that way.

Considering Dec was +4, I don't think this winter will make cold status either way in these parts

GFS is advertising some nice blocking that aligns with the period that other knowledgeable mets have been calling for a pattern change around 1/20. Maybe it's something.

Gefs looks like a mid December redux on tap. Maybe climo will toss us a bone if we go down that path. Not a pretty look

The bad years (2011-12, 2001-02) were way worse at this point. This feels more like 2006-07 or 2008-09.

The question I have is: is the cold shot next week (which looks like it'll be fairly impressive) the start of a permanent shift for the rest of the winter like 06/07, or is it just a temporary blip and the warmth returns the following week?

The question I have is: is the cold shot next week (which looks like it'll be fairly impressive) the start of a permanent shift for the rest of the winter like 06/07, or is it just a temporary blip and the warmth returns the following week?

Anything beyond 5 days is a crap shoot...I mean we can't hold a solution for more than 1 model run unless it's a cutter and warm front combo of course so everything is on the table ...just my non expert opinion.

Yeah, it was more of a rhetorical question, no one can really answer at this point.

It's pretty simple. As long as a negative ao doesn't happen, there will be no long duration cold period. Not seeing that anywhere in the next 2 weeks.

We can benefit from temporary things like a +pna/-epo but relying on them for a long winter period rarely works out if ever. Those features look favorable for a little while but we will almost certainly warm up for a time unless we get help elsewhere. Any warm period could be brief or annoying. No way to know

GFS is dry and cold for the weekend. I guess the one good thing is that it won't look like that in a few runs.

Time to focus all mental snow weenie energy on the clipper and arctic front squalls. By the time that fun is done we'll have a good idea what happens next. IMO- seems pretty unlikely that we won't get more winter wx through the middle of next week.

00z Euro and gfs ens very different in the LR.  Gfs is a pattern we can live with and probably score a time or two....Euro is, as others have mentioned, a repeat of the Dec pattern.  

The 06Z GEFS ensembles have two clusters that are equally divided withone showing above normal temps for us in the 11-15 day period while the other has below normal for the same time period.  Both the Euro ens clusters covering the same time period have us above normal for what that is worth. 

not saying it's right or where it will go from here, but 12Z operational thru 216 hrs. does look better around the Pole and Greenland than what we've been seeing

http://mag.ncep.noaa.gov/Image.php?fhr=216ℑ=data%2Fgfs%2F12%2Fgfs_namer_216_500_vort_ht.gif&model=gfs&area=namer&param=500_vort_ht&group=Model+Guidance&preselected_formatted_cycle_date=20150105+12+UTC&imageSize=M&ps=model

Both the GFS brothers are suppressed for the 12th timeframe.  It's a nice setup up for us with strong highs over us and confluence to the north to hold in the cold air.  Would be our luck the one time we get that setup the confluence is TOO strong.  But I wouldn't be surprised if things come north a bit.  

Both the GFS brothers are suppressed for the 12th timeframe.  It's a nice setup up for us with strong highs over us and confluence to the north to hold in the cold air.  Would be our luck the one time we get that setup the confluence is TOO strong.  But I wouldn't be surprised if things come north a bit.  

haven't been too many system that I can recall since OCT that have been suppressed, but that can always change on a dime I suppose

haven't been too many system that I can recall since OCT that have been suppressed, but that can always change on a dime I suppose

I take it back...Para does something on the 13th-14th.  Almost like a Miller B solution.  Pretty disorganized, but gives us some on/off light snow those days.  I still think it's a legit threat window.  

Archived